Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Ha Ha, the housework is on hold in my house, its never really done, anyway, but knitting is so rewarding, I guess you have to trade-off having fun knitting or cleaning your house. Seriously, Arlene, my girlfriend comes over on Tuesdays and we knit and talk and eat salads and play with my kitties. Its my knitting day and no housework gets done, a gift to myself I guess. "If mamma ain't happy ain't nobody happy!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I knit almost any time. I am blessed with a part time job where I can knit/crochet when I'm not busy; I also do mending and alterations from home, and when I'm not busy with that I work on my knitting. I also get paid for some of the things I make. I recently finished an afghan for a customer, and am in the process of a sweater for another customer, and have to make a pair of sock for another one. I am truly blessed!

As for housework, my youngest went to college this year, and I have a daughter living with me. We do our own cleaning and picking up, sometimes we manage a meal together because she works nights. But housework is never done, so I don't worry about it as long as it's clutter and not dirty.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hi Arlene

I learned a long time ago that housework will still need to be done after I have gone - knitting however will not be able to get done then. I am very fortunate in that my husband will do whatever it takes - if he deems that it needs to get done. We have 4 cats all indoor and I hold knitting classes at my home three days a week. Dust does not get any deeper after 3 days and if you don't move the ornaments (chatskis or whatever they're called) no-one knows how long it's been there. Life is too short to be worrying about housework etc in my humble opinion. Oh and just to put minds at easemy house is small and always looks and smells clean there are no nasties hidden anywhere. We tend to clean as we go and that makes it easier.

Gracie

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having just a knit in day sounds so fun.

Your right . Life is to short to worry about the dust bunnies.
Let the kittens play with them

thanks. I was just curious about what others do. :)

Alene

·
Registered
889 Posts
I work full time and commute 15-17 hours a week. I have a project I leave at work for breaks and lunch. I have a project in the car for red lights and traffic jams/accidents. I have a project beside "my chair" for when I watch TV and often a project in my purse. The one at work can be anything. The one in the car and my purse is usually dish cloth, scarf or other no think knitting that I can pick up and put down without a lot of thought. If I am working on something that takes concentration, it is the project beside my chair. I have knit hundreds of dishcloths and scarves while stuck in traffic and waiting for appointments. Juli in Central PA

·
Registered
351 Posts
Try bringing your project with you when you leave the house, you would be surprised how many times you find yourself with a free moment (for example, at a doctor's office while in the waiting room, coffee or lunch breaks at work, etc.). I have taught myself to knit without looking (this works for some projects but not all, of course...). Try using a knitting break as in incentive to get housework done. For example, if you do a chore that takes an hour, reward yourself with a break (during which you could knit). You could also schedule your daily housework along with knitting breaks throughout the day. This is great if you find knitting relaxing. I recall the time when knitting went from being frustrating to relaxing... not so long ago since I have only been knitting for about a year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Another night owl on the loose. I'm twice blessed. Nice to meet you, Gracie. Maybe you can help me. I was a self taught knitter many years ago (before computers and internet. Well, now I have been trying to knit in the european style, but I having difficulty because of the arthritis in both hands. Any suggestions or just be stuborn and stick to it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good morning,
I am with all of you. Knitting comes before anything.
I have never been a good housekeeper. After 41 years of marriage, I have learned that alot of stuff can wait until I get into the "mood". I love to cook and my kitchen is always clean. The rest of my house looks "lived in"
My family has quit trying to change me and love me the way I am.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Irobot gives me lots of time. It goes off every other day and completely vacuums my downstairs for an hour. After 3 months I noticed I didn't have any dusting to do either. It takes me 10 minutes to clean Irobot with my shop vac in the garage. In the beginning I set it to go off at 2 in the morning until it set off the alarm one weekend when I was a way and the police were here trying to find out who was breaking in my house. So now it goes off after I get up.

·
Registered
889 Posts
For those with RA, OA, etc. check out the videos at http://headwaterwool.com/hw_russian_knitting_technique.aspx They have detailed instructions as well as a book that can be purchsed. I teach this techniqe for those with RA, OA, or other hand coordination problems. It is the least amount of movement I have found. Also, use circular needles and a chair with arms. The circs keep the weight of the project in your lap and the chair arms will support your arms. Elastic gloves like http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/HandEze-Therapeutic-Craft-Glove-Size-2/3462716/product.html are also a help. There are may types and price levels of these. Wooden needles will hold the warmth of your hands and some appreciate this. I like metal as wood slows me down. Good luck, Juli in Central PA

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think we all will find time for what is important to us. I find knitting goes with everything. If I am doing housework, dishes, whatever, I will take breaks and knit a bit, too. Knitting is like therapy for me and makes whatever I am doing more fun. In the evenings I knit right up until I go to bed and when I travel I will always take my knitting. If I happen to be doings afghans at the time I will start a smaller project that is portable just so I have some knitting to pass the time with. Diane

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom