Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to my lovely KP friends,

How in the world do I get pas this combination? (I've never had this happen before)

I'm making a wingspan, and I was happy at first since it's all garter stitch and a perfect project for teaching myself to knit continental style. When I first started, I liked the yarn I"m using.

Now, I'm bored out of my skull with the pattern AND I realized that I don't like the way the yarn is looking for the pattern either. It is actually starting to feel like a chore instead of an enjoyable knitting experience.

Have a great day!
(and check out my web site if you'd like :) the link is in my signature)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
Toss it in the basket and pull it out when you are bored or need something mindless to do.......if the yarn is not right then roll it up and save it for something else! I knit for fun and when it isn't then it is toast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
There are wingspans using different stitches for each section. Maybe if you play with alternating your stitch patterns the boredom will vanish. On the Ravelry pattern, look at Kitikotti's picture for ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AKRaven said:
There are wingspans using different stitches for each section. Maybe if you play with alternating your stitch patterns the boredom will vanish. On the Ravelry pattern, look at Kitikotti's picture for ideas.
I'm already on the 4th wing, so it's too late to change over to making different stitches for each wing :(

It is a great suggestion for the next one, though!

I've never had the problem of not liking BOTH the pattern AND the yarn when I'm knitting or crocheting.

On a positive note, I've become much more comfortable with garter stitch continental style
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frogger said:
Toss it in the basket and pull it out when you are bored or need something mindless to do.......if the yarn is not right then roll it up and save it for something else! I knit for fun and when it isn't then it is toast!
I'm going to have to put it aside since I'm not enjoying it right now. The yarn is actually good, but I"m just not liking it for this pattern. I shall move on to something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,145 Posts
Sounds like Sweet Pandora needs something more challenging to do! How about putting some unexpected pattern in the triangular part, like an "Angel wings Cable" or some other more challenging pattern that would fit into the "wings" and still keep you challenged?
SweetPandora said:
Good day to my lovely KP friends,

How in the world do I get pas this combination? (I've never had this happen before)

I'm making a wingspan, and I was happy at first since it's all garter stitch and a perfect project for teaching myself to knit continental style. When I first started, I liked the yarn I"m using.

Now, I'm bored out of my skull with the pattern AND I realized that I don't like the way the yarn is looking for the pattern either. It is actually starting to feel like a chore instead of an enjoyable knitting experience.

Have a great day!
(and check out my web site if you'd like :) the link is in my signature)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
SweetPandora said:
I'm already on the 4th wing, so it's too late to change over to making different stitches for each wing :(

It is a great suggestion for the next one, though!

I've never had the problem of not liking BOTH the pattern AND the yarn when I'm knitting or crocheting.

On a positive note, I've become much more comfortable with garter stitch continental style
Congrats on mastering continental! Just a thought...you might try doing a few "accent panels" with different stitches. However, if you are really unhappy with how the yarn is behaving in this pattern, I would consider it a lovely continental lesson, frog it and use it for something you feel it is better suited for...so you can appreciate the yarn again.

Frankly, I like the 'look' and concept of my wingspan--it turned out quite nicely and the colorway is lovely, but I don't really like wearing it! I was surprised to discover that don't like the way it looks on the body! It appeals to me more when it is draped across a chair or the sofa. Go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AKRaven, I'm afraid I might feel the same way about the wingspan - so I've officially put it aside, and I'm going back to the never ending 200 scarves for charity project. We have 6 more to complete, and my mother and I have completed our donation!

We have more yarn left over, so we will continue knitting right up until the deadline in case others who committed to donate don't meet their obligations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
769 Posts
SweetPandora said:
AKRaven, I'm afraid I might feel the same way about the wingspan - so I've officially put it aside, and I'm going back to the never ending 200 scarves for charity project. We have 6 more to complete, and my mother and I have completed our donation!

We have more yarn left over, so we will continue knitting right up until the deadline in case others who committed to donate don't meet their obligations.
That's wonderful news for your charity efforts. I'm sure if you end up with extra they'll still go to good use :mrgreen:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
81,337 Posts
SweetPandora said:
Good day to my lovely KP friends,

How in the world do I get pas this combination? (I've never had this happen before)

I'm making a wingspan, and I was happy at first since it's all garter stitch and a perfect project for teaching myself to knit continental style. When I first started, I liked the yarn I"m using.

Now, I'm bored out of my skull with the pattern AND I realized that I don't like the way the yarn is looking for the pattern either. It is actually starting to feel like a chore instead of an enjoyable knitting experience. ...
I'm so glad to hear that someone else got fed up with the Wingspan! I go it going well, and just ran out of steam. I thought it was the yarn, so I began again with different yarn, but the same result. So, I've dropped it to the bottom of my to-do list.

I love garter stitch. I love short rows. I love the look of the Wingspan. I seem just not to love the knitting of the Wingspan! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,194 Posts
I made 6 wingspans, all true to just knit, knit, knit... but... I was watching TV so I didn't get bored. Once they were all given away, I made the white lace paneled one depicted on Ravelry and LOVED it!

I suggest you frog the one you've been knitting on down to the Cast On stitches and resume with the lace panels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,467 Posts
I've struggled with this in the past but have now conquered it! I frog and forget. There's no guilt involved, no remorse . . . that yarn was meant for something else. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
If I don't like the way a particular yarn is looking on a project I tink/frog the work and rewind the yarn for use later on a different project. I've learned through the years that IF I don't like how it looks while I'm making it I will not like the finished project. I can't even make myself give away things I have finished if I don't like it. There is no reason to punish yourself with continuing to knit something you don't like. The wingspan is a fun project if you knit it with a yarn that you like how it looks in the pattern. You'll know by the second triangle. I've been much happier since I quit projects that I didn't like how they were looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Sometimes the yarn just isn't right for a certain project. I recently made a Mobius scarf in a beautiful bulky yarn but wasn't real happy with how it was going. It was finished, and I was planning to block it in the morning when during the night the yarn started yelling at me "Rip me out! Rip me out! This isn't what I want to be!"

So I did and made a capelet instead. The yarn and I are much happier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put it aside, and worked on some dishcloths and finished a scarf for the charity project last night. I'm going to let the Wingspan sit for a little while and see if I like it any better. If not, then I'm going to frog it and make another one using my own hand dyed yarn. :)

Today, I'm taking a break from knitting and crocheting, but I'm going to play with yarn and dye. I wonder what I'll come up with.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Everyone was knitting the wingspan, so I tried it. I have four wings done and am bored out of my mind. I'm also not sure about the way it might look on me. I might try the lacy panels instead.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom