Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Hi, I know it can be a real pain. I finally figured out to put 1 ball on the right side of your lap and 1 skein on the left side of your lap. I usually place them in ziplock baggies 1 skein each but also can use a 2 quart pitcher with a lid and place 1 on either side of you. It seems to do the trick with both yarns only coming together right before you knit them. At least that's what I do.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yes they do twist as you knit them, but that is the idea. It gives the finished project the look of varigated yarn. You don't need to stop the twist at the needle site, you just want it to not twist into a mangled mess while it is coming from the skein until it gets to the needle. I'm not sure what else you're talking about.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Aaaahhh Marny, never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion. Will use it next time I do 2 stranded work. Which will be soon, as I am making tons of hats for a cause and they are made using 2 strands held together. Thanks

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
You could alternately wind the 2 yarns into one bal; but that's a lot of extra work....

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Savta Fern said:
Hi! I am making another afghan, this one uses 2 strands of wool at the same time and I am spending more time untwisting the strands than knitting. Any suggestions? Thanks. Savta Fern
I was having troubles with the twisting but since buying this little vinyl container I don't have that problem any-more as I just swap both needles over. The bag has a metal eyeleted hole on either end for the yarn t pull through and a sturdy zipper about 8"(20cm) along it to keep yarn clean.

I bought it in Spotlight Christmas 2010 and if I remember correctly it was about 7-7.50 AUD. Don't know if they still have them though as I haven't look for one since.

Am attaching a picture of mine in use on a WIP. I can get 2 x 100gm balls rewound in quite comfortably and the yarn just comes out through the holes.

By the way, I just 'found this WIP' while tidying up my yarn stash and am still at the same point as I was then in the photo. But it will get done!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Savta Fern said:
But how does that change anything when the strands turn when you knit them as a unit lined up side by side as they go around the knitting needle?
I keep each skein in a separate container - I usually use plastic bags. That keeps them straight coming off the skein and onto the needles. It's nearly impossible to keep them from twisting as you knit. If they get too bad, I just hold the WIP up off my lap and untwist the whole thing. That doesn't happen often, thankfully. Other than that, a little twisting really doesn't bother me. If the yarns are the same color, you never notice a little twisting. If they are different colors, it adds to the look of the work and they really won't look twisted. If using variegated, you'll never be able to tell if they're twisted because of the unique pattern variegated makes anyway :thumbup
Is there a particular reason the twisting bothers you ?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
LadyLibrarian said:
I would have thought the knitting fairy would have finished your WIP Emaj..
I wish!!!
Ernai

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I wondered this same thing when I finally found some mohair-blend yarn that was a fingering weight. I loved the yarn but was told that it needed to be combined with another yarn in order to knit the sweater I wanted. Not only is it more expensive to buy double the yarn quantity but I also forsaw much tribulation in having to carry two yarns throughout the project, which I wasn't up to doing. Good luck on your project, though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
mallardhen said:
I put the two strands through about 2 1/2" of a straw I've cut off. I use the heavy one that comes in the drink cups from the hospital or fair.
Ys, I've done that as well.
Amazing the simple things that really work.

·
Premium Member
20,485 Posts
Marny CA said:
Everytime you turn for a new row, you will have to turn in the opposite direction.

If once you finish row you turn to the right, then the next row should be turned to the left.
Suggest that as you turn to the RIGHT SIDE, turn the project to the RIGHT. As you finish the fight side, and turn to the BACK side, turn to the LEFT. This is what I do, and this helps a great deal!

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you wind the two balls together, somehow 1 strand seems to get used more than the other and you end up with a loop from one strand. Not only that, when you are finished with the item you might want to use just one strand for something else and it would be a pain in the neck to have to unwind and rewind into one ball.
Razzle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom