Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone is different-but I think I am pretty slow. I knit about 24 stitches a minute-just reg knit(no pearls-that would slow me down too). I crochet much faster-and my projects don't take as long. But I prefer the rythem of knitting. I am just curious......

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Great question, never thought about it. I am working on a lace shell at the moment and will time myself later tonight to see how long it take me to do a row.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
In all the years I have been knitting I never gave it much thought. I just keep going, and going, like the Energizer bunny. Take it with me to the beauty parlor, sitting down by the beach, and all locations in between. Enjoy putting on some quiet music, sitting with needles in hand, and just work.

·
Registered
17,611 Posts
I never gave any thought to how fast I knitted until I timed myself knitting the 5 hour sweater. It took me 3 hours and 44 minutes. I wrote down every time I started working on it and when I stopped. I was surprised at how fast I knit. I knitted a second one because my sister told me I must have made a mistake on the time. The second one took 4hrs 15 mins.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Some people are fast knitters and others are slow knitters. Each one of them are doing just fine with their speed. We are forgetting that knitting is not a speed race to get to the finish first. Knitting is a journey of delights and discoveries and pleasant movements meant for the knitter to enjoy. I am glad you have found an enjoyable knitting rythm. I too love the mechanics of the needles gliding and sliding along the yarn. We are all individual knitters each taking our own knitting paths but sharing the road with fellow knitters. Enjoy!! and with practice, the knitting automatically goes faster all on its own.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
5mmdpns said:
Some people are fast knitters and others are slow knitters. Each one of them are doing just fine with their speed. We are forgetting that knitting is not a speed race to get to the finish first. Knitting is a journey of delights and discoveries and pleasant movements meant for the knitter to enjoy. I am glad you have found an enjoyable knitting rythm. I too love the mechanics of the needles gliding and sliding along the yarn. We are all individual knitters each taking our own knitting paths but sharing the road with fellow knitters. Enjoy!! and with practice, the knitting automatically goes faster all on its own.
Well put :)

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Lotty said:
5mmdpns said:
Thank you Lotty. I just am dying to ask you if the avatar afghan you have is one you did yourself? and is it knitted or crocheted?

I will now tell you all how fast I make things!!! I have been knitting for 41 years. I started a granny square afghan and now just need to stitch the squares together. That was started when I was pregnant with my son. He will be 29 this year.

I started a knitted fair isle pullover sweater for myself. I have the body knitted, one sleeve knitted, and half the other sleeve knitted. I just need to finish the one sleeve and knit the yoke. This WIP was started in 1990 and is still waiting. haha, but sometimes I can knit a pair of lady's socks in one week and at other times it will take a few months before they are done. The point is we are to enjoy what we are doing and we do have great peace of mind that there is always something we could be doing with yarn (like finishing all those WIPs)!!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
5mmdpns said:
Lotty said:
5mmdpns said:
Thank you Lotty. I just am dying to ask you if the avatar afghan you have is one you did yourself? and is it knitted or crocheted?

I will now tell you all how fast I make things!!! I have been knitting for 41 years. I started a granny square afghan and now just need to stitch the squares together. That was started when I was pregnant with my son. He will be 29 this year.

I started a knitted fair isle pullover sweater for myself. I have the body knitted, one sleeve knitted, and half the other sleeve knitted. I just need to finish the one sleeve and knit the yoke. This WIP was started in 1990 and is still waiting. haha, but sometimes I can knit a pair of lady's socks in one week and at other times it will take a few months before they are done. The point is we are to enjoy what we are doing and we do have great peace of mind that there is always something we could be doing with yarn (like finishing all those WIPs)!!! :wink:
Yes, I did crochet this afghan. It is just a big granny square that I used my scrap stash for. Glad you like it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
pocono.carol said:
Great question, never thought about it. I am working on a lace shell at the moment and will time myself later tonight to see how long it take me to do a row.
OK, I looked at the clock when I started a lace row and meant to look at the clock when I finished the knit row, well that did not work out too well,:eek:ops: got a phone call and stop knitting. I looked at the clock again and forgot to check after the knit row, :cry: knit one repeat of the pattern before looking again.

So far I knit at some speed, what it is I have no idea, I just relax and knit :thumbup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is def a fair response...and I understand. I was just wondering. My adage has always been 'you can tell how stressed I am by the length of my scarves'...once after a two week visit to my parents, I was 'finishing' a scarf for my dil..and the flight attendant unravelled the finished work and it went almost to back of plane....lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I personally think it depends on the project...how much pattern is in it. and what types of yarns are being used. when I made the shawl recently from fingering weight yarn and yarn overs etc it went fairly quickly. I am making a nice placemat pattern right now with 4 weight cotton yarn and it is going really slow for me and is boring pattern. never worry about speed....just enjoy.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom