Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished knitting a shrug with a size 9 needle, worsted weight yarn, which met the swatch test I made before starting to knit. The shrug turned out incredibly small, like for a child, not for an adult. If I use the same pattern but increase my needle size to a 10 or 11, would the shrug turn out one or two sizes larger? I don't want to fuss with more test swatches to figure out a larger size. I think there's a rule of some sort about increasing needle size to obtain a larger garment - but don't know the ratio for increase in needle size vs increase in garment size. I always naturally knit to the standard swatch in any garment without any problems, but this shrug did not work out. See photo of the Lion web site for this shrug. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Trish,
Thank you for your recommendation to post my query in the General Forum as opposed to "User submitted how-to's, etc." I just posted my topic in General Forum. You are absolutely correct that it's best to knit a new swatch to get good results. I was looking for a short cut by increasing my needle size but if I do, I may end up wasting yarn, time and getting another weird size.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear LInzers,

Blocking won't help - I wear a size 8-10 Miss dress, sweater, blouse, etc. This shrug turned out to what looks like a size 4 or less. Very disappointing. Shall give it away to charity.

Thanks for your reply.

Generosa

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes, as the others have suggested, another swatch is the best solution. Be sure to make it big enough -- I know that sometimes I cheat and do just a few rows, not the minimum 4" x 4" swatch. I doubt that such a minimal needle change would do the trick in this case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom