Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( I've been an advanced beginning knitter since 1970! Forthy-one years. @@ LOL! Hand knitting, I should say. Crocheting took over in 1973 but I didn't quit knitting.

If by designing one means making an existing pattern one's own, been there; Done that. If free-forming, it will be in your head eventually and one can run with it.

Pattern writing (putting the pen to paper) is an art in of itself, eh? Spell check doesn't help much. ((; LOL!!
~~~~~~~~
courier770 said:
I've been knitting for 44 years and crocheting almost as long. In the past year I've started to spin and am finding myself more and more involved in pattern designing. How about you?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have only been knitting for about 6 months now after learning the basics 40 years ago. I have crocheted off and on over the years. I'm lucky to be able to follow a pattern let alone design and write on. Good luck on the copyrights, that is so exciting.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is very exciting...more than that it's very satisfying. I now find myself, spinning yarn and designing patterns to knit that yarn into! Though I have to say, I believe this is a rather natural progression.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
galaxy, then you are ready to start writing your own patterns! My late sister knitted when she was young but stopped for many years. Late in life she took it back up (to help ease some stress). She found that she didn't like some of the patterns out there and started writing her own to suit her needs. It really is a natural progression of the fiber crafts.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
I have dabbled a bit on small items of my own creation.
Or made adjustments to existing patterns.
Or changed hem edgings and/or collars to suit my tastes.
I have "created" many afghans, but never thought to actually
write a pattern out for public use -- not to mention
copy writing them.
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I started knitting and crocheting 44 years ago. I was 13 years old. I taught myself to do both. My mom tried to teach me but she isleft-handed and I an right handed. So I took the book and went to my room and figured it out on my own. My mom bought me the crochet hooks, knitting, needle for my first projects. The first things I learned to knit were a hat and scarf set on big needles.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Although I frequently "altar" patterns to meet my own needs and style, I find that designing from "scratch" to be the most satisfying.

For actual "garments" I always start with graph paper, to graph out the actual measurements of the item (sweater, vest, poncho, etc.). Then it's just a matter of using stitches and stitch patterns to fill in the measurements.

Pattern design and writing really is pretty simple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been at it for 66 years and am still learning at least one or two new techniques/tricks each year.. :) Went to the "Vogue Live" event in NYC this past January after a self imposed hiatitis from knit conventions for the past 5 years :cry: and was so glad to be back in the presence of experienced/advanced knitters ;-).

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow happy, that's impressive! Though I think you qualify as an experienced knitter!

One day a week I haul yarn, needles and some simple patterns over to the very lovely assisted living facility in my neighborhood. On that day I'm the "knitting lady"....I feel like such a novice in the company of those women..and men!

I grew up in NYC...many years ago. The city's history as the garment capital always fascinated me..as did the Fashion Institute of Technology!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Been knitting & crocheting for 50 years. I was 8 when my mother taught me to knit. She learned from her father who knitted his own socks most of his life. I now am teaching both my granddaughter, who is 9 & grandson who is almost 11 to knit. We have to carry on the family tradition.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been knitting for 51 years.....yikes did I say that. I use to crochet but have not been able to for 38 years after brain surgery. I am able to knit holding left hand needle and working off it with my right....been doing it for a long time. I have done sweaters, afghans,scarves,hats.With the help of some they put them together for me as this is not my strongest suit but at least I can knit

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi everyone, I have been knitting for about 8 years. I consider myself an advanced beginner. I have only made one pattern of my own, dog sweater for two sizes of Chihuahuas. One very tiny and the other small. I challenge myself with intermediate patterns so to hopefully improve. Finished a heart pattern on a hat and now trying to incorporate it on some partial finger gloves, to make set.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have been crocheting since 1970....OMG I'm old Lol and I learned to knit a year and a half ago corresponding with the birth of my first Grandbaby. I have made my own designs of crochet but not knitting! loving knitting right now

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom