Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned how to knit many years ago, but put it on hold for 40 odd years. I've been surprised since I took it back up as to how many different styles of knitting are out there. Am I the only knitter that still throws? If you are a thrower and proud of it....let me know :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
you're not alone...the move to continental knitting is just joining the rest of the world, who mostly use this method....and then there's the conversations we've been having here about arthritis, carpal tunnel, and simple fatigue....continental is simply easier on your joints and many of our knitting pals are not the youngsters we once were.....but then you have people who simply like what they're doing and don't want to change....that's great....we'd hate to have one version of our beloved craft die out...you are part of keeping it alive so that the next generations can have their choice, too.....

and then you have people like me who knit both ways, with both hands at the same time.....because i learned to throw and did nothing else for 30 years, but was always interested in continental...finally found a teacher....so now when i do 2 color work, i knit continental with one color with my left needle and the other color with the throw method and my right needle...works great and i wouldn't have been able to do it that way without all my teachers.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
i'm a thrower...it's how i learned many years ago, watching then doing. i keep trying the continental way off and on but my left fore finger doesn't want to cooperate!! when i do try the continental method it slows my knitting way down and all the stitches are alot looser than normal. i keep trying though, as my mom use to tell me " you can do whatever you set your mind to"!!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( i started with throwing, Rae, back in 1970 and in '09 started converting and now know all the methods preferring the combined continental method.

I find it handy to be able to do the English method, too as I can't seem to P3tog in any continental method! LOL!! So, I do it in ET.

The eastern continental method keeps the working yarn in back of the work at all times for the common knit and purl stitch and I had a great time working it! lOL!!

Portuguese is still causing me fits, though or perhaps I'm causing it fits, eh? LOL!!

If you need help converting, I could give you pointers in a private message!

TTYL!
~~~~
quote=SailorRae]I learned how to knit many years aggo, but put it on hold for 40 odd years. I've been surprised since I took it back up as to how many different styles of knitting are out there. Am I the only knitter that still throws? If you are a thrower and proud of it....let me know :thumbup:[/quote]

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
e.ridenh said:
((((((( i started with throwing, Rae, back in 1970 and in '09 started converting and now know all the methods preferring the combined continental method.

I find it handy to be able to do the English method, too as I can't seem to P3tog in any continental method! LOL!! So, I do it in ET.

The eastern continental method keeps the working yarn in back of the work at all times for the common knit and purl stitch and I had a great time working it! lOL!!

Portuguese is still causing me fits, though or perhaps I'm causing it fits, eh? LOL!!

If you need help converting, I could give you pointers in a private message!

TTYL!
~~~~
quote=SailorRae]I learned how to knit many years aggo, but put it on hold for 40 odd years. I've been surprised since I took it back up as to how many different styles of knitting are out there. Am I the only knitter that still throws? If you are a thrower and proud of it....let me know :thumbup:
[/quote]
Thanks...maybe next year...this year I need to learn more stitches and just basic knitting. I've got my hands and head filled with them. I don't want to tax the old brain too much

:lol:

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I'm a thrower. That's the way I learned many years ago. I used to move my hand to throw and now I've got to where I use my fore finger. Much faster and easier on my hands. I've tried to convert to continental but it's awkward for me too like Judy and MJP said. I still try every so often but I seem to always revert back.

·
Registered
24,561 Posts
I've been a thrower for almost 60 years. What upsets me the most are the people who look down their noses at you if you don't do "Continental" knitting. We even had one shop here (closed now) that wouldn't let you into their classes if you were a thrower. What difference does it make if your work 'works'?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The phone company wouldn't hire me b/c I was left handed years ago. I didn't get a chance to tell them I can use my right hand too. When they read it on the application they sent me a lettter saying no. I called and tried to explain but it was a no go.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
I think I'm a real die-hard "thrower!" I'm really trying to get comfortable with the sensible/faster alternative, but it just feels awkward, ends up taking MORE time--and I can't get the tension quite right. Soooo......I am a happy, productive THROWER!

·
Registered
336 Posts
i want to thank everyone who commented on my two designs, the purple baby sweater and the Twin Doll sweater, it really makes you feel great when someone appreciates your hard work. the patterns can be found at crochetbysandi.etsy.com. if you purchase anything from my site let me know you came from here and I will give you a 20% discount. enter KP20 under comment. Oh, and I am a thrower as well, was taught at the age of 7, and you all know you can't teach an old dog new tricks. some day I will learn lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a thrower. I learned as a child and was not even aware that there was a different way to knit until recently. I'm in my 70's and I have tried to knit in the continental style but I like many others come back to what I first learned. I think we can learn "new tricks", I am teaching myself to read crochet patterns after 60 years of not doing crochet because I couldn't read a pattern.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom