Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all of my knitting peeps. Can anyone direct me/or tell me how to knit a border on a baby afghan ? My pattern has it knitted separately and then stitched onto the body at the end. NO THANKS! Plus, the border included in my pattern is so fussy. I want to create a simple Moss, basket weave or other border, but am not sure how many stitches to use . I know that the rows and columns in knitting aren’t the same measurements. If anyone can give me a simple formula, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Have you considered using a crocheted border? You could pick up your stitches with the hook across the top and bottom row stitches and then evenly space your stitches across the longer (row) sides. Add three stitches at each corner. Then crochet the border you want. Or you could pick them up with a crochet hook onto your knitting needle and knit one side at a time, adding extra stitches to each end, and knit the pattern of your choice and then sew the corners together OR pick up your stitches on all four sides on one long circular needle and knit the pattern of your choice (be sure to add extra stitches at the corners so it will lay flat). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Don't know if you would like an icord border, but free on Ravelry today is the Lilliann Mae blanket. It's corner to corner with an icord border knit as you go - no picking up stitches. Also looks simple enough to be easily modified.

Maureen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you considered using a crocheted border? You could pick up your stitches with the hook across the top and bottom row stitches and then evenly space your stitches across the longer (row) sides. Add three stitches at each corner. Then crochet the border you want. Or you could pick them up with a crochet hook onto your knitting needle and knit one side at a time, adding extra stitches to each end, and knit the pattern of your choice and then sew the corners together OR pick up your stitches on all four sides on one long circular needle and knit the pattern of your choice (be sure to add extra stitches at the corners so it will lay flat). Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for all of these suggestions. I do not know how to crochet…I can use a crochet hook to create a provisional cast on, but that is my limit. I really want to knit my border as I go. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you are working with most any type of yarn; i.e., sport, baby, worsted, you can put a 4 to 8 stitch border on any afghan. I usually use at least a 4 stitch on baby afghans and 6 on worsted. You can also use any knit stitch except stockinette. I use garter stitch for baby blankets and ribbing or moss stitch for adult sized afghans.

Be sure to start your afghan off with that border and then take the border up both sides and finish off with the border.

If you're using a paid or free pattern instead of making your own, be sure to add those extra stitches on both sides to your pattern. I usually put a stitch marker after the first border and before the other one so I won't get it confused with the regular pattern.

Does any of that help?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I like the stability of Seed Stitch and usually use it as a border on my afghans. I cast on the body number of stitches plus ten, five for each side-of course, your border can be sized to suit. Be sure the check that the Multiple of your chosen edge works for the blanket. Begin and end by knitting the same number of rows in your chosen stitch at the beginning and end of your blanket. HTH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are working with most any type of yarn; i.e., sport, baby, worsted, you can put a 4 to 8 stitch border on any afghan. I usually use at least a 4 stitch on baby afghans and 6 on worsted. You can also use any knit stitch except stockinette. I use garter stitch for baby blankets and ribbing or moss stitch for adult sized afghans.

Be sure to start your afghan off with that border and then take the border up both sides and finish off with the border.

If you're using a paid or free pattern instead of making your own, be sure to add those extra stitches on both sides to your pattern. I usually put a stitch marker after the first border and before the other one so I won't get it confused with the regular pattern.

Does any of that help?
I guess I need clarification on exactly how many rows to knit for a decent border and then how many corresponding column stitches (the sides of the afghan border) to have it appear even all the way around.
Thank you for your answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh! Thank you so much! This helps me tremendously. It makes sense, and I think that this will work out just right…I will use a seed stitch (even though knitting the seed stitch makes me want to stick a needle in my eye 😁). It will look great on this afghan. Thank you again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stitching on is not as bad if you do as you knit. I’ve done it for cardigan bands. I knit a bit, then stitch it on then do some more, stitch it on. You could also pin or tack as you go. It always fits perfectly. Best wishes, Rose
Thanks. I have also picked up a band for a cardigan, and it isn’t awful. I just want to be done when I’m done. Plus, I think trying to knit on a border of a square would be challenging for me.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Why not make it part of the blanket? Add 12 extra stitches. Start with a few inches of stockinette stitch, then continue to do the first 6 and last 6 stitches in stockinette. And finish off to match the beginning border.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Don't know if you would like an icord border, but free on Ravelry today is the Lilliann Mae blanket. It's corner to corner with an icord border knit as you go - no picking up stitches. Also looks simple enough to be easily modified.

Maureen
I would also be interested in this border. I went to Ravelry but couldn't bring it up. Is it possible for you to post a link?

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I guess I need clarification on exactly how many rows to knit for a decent border and then how many corresponding column stitches (the sides of the afghan border) to have it appear even all the way around.
Thank you for your answer.
When I do baby blankets, if I use 5 stitches on each side for a border, I do 10 rows on the top and bottom. HTH.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Answered in post #11
Thanks...but I think that is for a knit Icord. Beautiful, btw.

I was looking for a crocheted icord pattern.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Oh! Thank you so much! This helps me tremendously. It makes sense, and I think that this will work out just right…I will use a seed stitch (even though knitting the seed stitch makes me want to stick a needle in my eye 😁). It will look great on this afghan. Thank you again.
I know what you mean about seed stitch. If you're a picker (Continental style, yarn held in left hand), you might want to try the Norwegian purl --https://www.google.com/search?q=norwegian+purl+knitting&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS881US881&oq=norwegian+p&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i67j0i131i433i512j0i433i512j0i67j0i433i512l2j0i512l3.7593j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 -- I sat in front of the computer and it took about 20 minutes to have it down pat. I now love seed stitches and ribbing!

Also, I always end rows with a slipped stitch purlwise with yarn in front -- makes for a nice finish on the ends. (Others do this at the beginning of the rows, whichever you prefer).

Hope this helps --

Kate

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top Bottom