Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about trying to do some felting. I know I have to use 100% wool, but wondered, do I use hot water in the washing machine?
I wondered can I put the knitting in a clothes drier to felt it. I remember putting my Mum's two best hand knitted jumpers in the clothes drier, first time I ever used one, and shrunk them to a child's size!!

Thanks for your help
and
Cheers from Jennie

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
There lots of postings on this subject with your same question and replys on how to do this process, just use the search tab above, andtype in felting. i will say that it is mostly the agitation that felts not the temp of the water. Although if you'shock the wool from hot ot cold' that will also cause felting. Hot water in itself doesnot felt the yarn, otherwise the yarn could not go through a dying process. A dryer will help the felting process, but not because of the temp, but because a dryer tosses the garment around. Good luck with your felting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Linda6885 said:
There lots of postings on this subject with your same question and replys on how to do this process, just use the search tab above, andtype in felting. i will say that it is mostly the agitation that felts not the temp of the water. Although if you'shock the wool from hot ot cold' that will also cause felting. Hot water in itself doesnot felt the yarn, otherwise the yarn could not go through a dying process. A dryer will help the felting process, but not because of the temp, but because a dryer tosses the garment around. Good luck with your felting.
I have done a fair amount of felting and WOULD NOT suggest you put it in the dryer unless you don't care about the final shape. For example, if you are felting a hat, it likely will not look like a hat once you pull it out of the dryer and it is difficult (though not impossible) once it's dry to change. I find it's better to take the wet felted item and shape it by putting it over something or stuffing something into it that helps define what you wish it to look like in the end and let it air dry.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I usually use hot water and the teeniest bit of detergent, and throw in a pair of old jeans or a couple of towels with the piece you're felting. I've always heard not to let it go thru the entire wash cycle, so I check it until it's the size I want it. Then I rinse it in the sink until the water runs clear, then air-dry.

Hope this is helpful :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I use the machie with hot water. set for the shortest cycle and still check midway through. a teaspoon of soap dish) and a pair a jean that help the agitation and rubbing againt the piece. carefully take out of washer. in both hands ie. dont let it hang. use a towle and roll it up to get the majority of moisture out. check piece if it needs more felting back in it goes. new water for me. hope it helps.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I put my project in a zippered cotton pillow cover. Use a safety pin to hold the zipper closed. I throw it in the washer with an old pair of jeans. I take it out immediately and start shaping it. I never put it in the dryer. Depending on how hot your water is, you may want to check it part way though the cycle. And keep checking it. Also, some yarns felt quicker and more dense than others. For example, I think Noro yarns felt quicker than say Lamb's Pride or Cascade. Once you've got an idea of how your water and your washer felt, monitoring won't be as important. Good luck. I love felted projects.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for all this help and information, it certainly has mad me wiser before I start. I thought I might just knit a potholder to start with, and keep the shape simple. I do have to knit it first. I might then add some crocheted unfelted flowers for a special effect.

Cheers and thanks again from Jennie

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Please do not put it in the dryer...you must have control of the project while drying....you have to stretch it shape it...and I even steam mine with a cloth and hot hot iron..to help smooth edges...etc....if you put it in the dryer you could come out with a wrinkled bubbled up mess!!!!!! i use hot water in top loading washing machine for my felting...high 5 jan..i too felt left-overs into hotpads..they are so colorful and nice for table..but I usually crochet mine.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Godmuvva said:
Thank you so much for all this help and information, it certainly has mad me wiser before I start. I thought I might just knit a potholder to start with, and keep the shape simple. I do have to knit it first. I might then add some crocheted unfelted flowers for a special effect.

Cheers and thanks again from Jennie
I'd suggest trying to felt a small swatch to see how much shrinking your wool will do... esp. if it's a hat or something where size matters. Your potholder idea will work great for that, but you may find the final piece is only a small fraction (1/2 or less) than the original knit size.

Have fun!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again............many thanks for all the info and help, I am going to knit a fair size square (x2) to allow for "shrinkage" during felting then.

Hugs from Jennie

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okies so now I have my wool ready, just two more questions:

1. Do I use 4mm needles with 8 ply wool

2. Will I just use knit stitch or can I do a pattern like say......moss stitch.

Hugs again from Jennie

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
The smaller needle size you use, the more difficult it will be to make your stitches disappear. And the project to become a solid fabric. I have never used smaller then size 8 needles on a felting project. But most of my projects are larger. I use size 10 and up usually. For a smooth fabric i do a stockinette k1 row..p1 row..and garter stitch..straight knit. of course you can do a moss stitch of you prefer, and it may come out a very nice texture. If I am using patons medium wool yarns..3 ply..i do 2 strand knitting..and use from size 10 needle up...Do not worry if your project looks saggy, baggy, or even has small holes..these felt together. But trial and error is the best way to learn felting. I have always been pleased with fiber trends felting patterns, tried and true. Another thing to watch is when felting make very very sure if you do not use a protective bag, or pillow case for your project that you do not use terry cloth towels or any fabric that will leave pills or lint on your project. i collect old tee-shirts, etc to wash my felted projects with. they seem to leave the least lint. good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom