Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know how to start using a skein of yarn, without it's snarling. I have tried several times to find the inner thread. I t usually starts out fine and then snarls. Then I have to make a ball anyway.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi there! I have found that if you're going to use the skein of yarn without making it into a ball, first you have to deside which side of the skein to take out the yarn in the center. I don't know if it's just me or not, but it always seems like it's way easier to get the middle out of one side than it is the other. If I take it out of the side that is not so easy, I have problems. If I take it out of the other side, not so much. Also, you have to be careful to tuck the other starting end in somewhere ( maybe under the label) so it doesn't get tangled with the starting end that you're using- that will snarl it everytime- before you know it you have a big mess.

Also, I've learned to just bite the bullet and make the yarn into a ball everytime because, so often, if I don't, I will be in the middle of a row of knitting and come to a knot in the yarn where the manufacturer has pieced it together. Then I have to take out that whole row of stitches and start it over, or live with a knot in the middle of a row. If you make it into a ball in the first place, this won't happen because you will find the knot while you're making the ball. I hope this makes sense!

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
I find that taking the outside piece and tucking it into the label, first, then stick a couple of fingers inside BOTH ends of the skein and working the center a bit to loosen it all up helps ...now pull the end out, but pull 2 or 3 yards in the first place, just to make sure all is well before knitting...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess I am not a risk taker and I always roll my yarn. When I start a project I don't want to be in the middle of it and have my yarn getting tangled.

I know this is off the topic but say when you are knitting something with more than 1 color of yarn I put the yarn in baggies put a hole in bag put yarn through it and knit that way. That way if the ball comes out of the bag at least in won't roll away or if I am out somewhere it won't get dirty.

Just a thought.

Mich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom