Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
373 Posts
That's pretty much the way my Mom taught me how to darn socks, although I haven't done it in about 40 years. We used to have a special wooden tool for that that looked like a mushroom about 3" in diameter. The 'stem' end was used to darn the fingers on gloves. I'm 59, but I'm sure that most people my age don't know how to do it! These days everyone just tosses things in the garbage and buys a new one!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Mary Su 2 said:
That's pretty much the way my Mom taught me how to darn socks, although I haven't done it in about 40 years. We used to have a special wooden tool for that that looked like a mushroom about 3" in diameter. The 'stem' end was used to darn the fingers on gloves. I'm 59, but I'm sure that most people my age don't know how to do it! These days everyone just tosses things in the garbage and buys a new one!
We had two mushrooms in the 1930s - one was wooden and was for socks and gloves, and the other was bakelite (an early plastic), and the hollow top could be unscrewed from the hollow bottom, so needles and bodkins could be stored there.

Edna

·
Registered
219 Posts
How well I remember that "mushroom" and the never ending pile of socks to be mended. We never had a plastic one, only a black wooden one. thanks for the memories, I wonder whatever happened to that.

·
Premium Member
20,121 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing...never thought to use a large bottle to drape the item over while darning the hole...very clever!!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mary Su 2 said:
I think I remember the "mushroom"tool of which you wrote about...
I know it's become a disposable society, was told when we were looking at refrigerators they have an Average 8 year lifespan. Really? Hmmm The dollar is too powerful, we should be teaching our children the art of saving more than spend, spend spend
I taught my daughter how to darn a sock for guides, When she demonstrated the girls were amazed, the thought of repairing something never crossed their minds.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Thank you! Good reminder when it's been a long time....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom