Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I don't want to be contentious, Lassie, but I think the Daily Rag employed an Englishman/woman to pronounce some of the place names. 'ech' pronounced 'eck'??. Findochty where I have relatives is Fin-ecchhh-ty. Ecclefechan etc, etc. The 'ch' is guttural.
Sorry, no offence to you - just to the rag which should really know better.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The joy is in the journey, my grams best friend was German, learned how to make dumpling spazael, my grandmother was arcadian French from lousiana, my grandfather was Irish, talk about a mixed breed, my mom was born in a town called west Texas, guess they couldn't find a more creative name, no offense intended.

People would ask me, why don't you have an accent, no one could understand my grandmother, it was the southern French lilt to her speaking, so I learned not to say ya'll, now I say it all the time

I'm happy I had those influences in my life, not so much when i was young, can't regret it now

When I moved south, years ago, I decided if you don't like it lump it

I wonder why we have to be so politically correct, are we not humans, and live on here to enrich and care.

This didn't come out like I wanted I

·
Registered
29,393 Posts
The only one I knew how to pronounce was Kirkcudbright as I used to be a telephonist in Liverpool. When I first emigrated I worked for Agfa, the colour film people, one of my jobs was to record the names and addresses when the boxes of slides were sent. Every so often I would be sent for to ask what I was saying as I would mispronounce a few of the Aussie place names.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
tatsfieldknitter said:
I knew or could sort of work out most of them - I'd like to see a similar list of hard to pronounce WELSH names!
He he he...I used to live in Llanfairynghornwy on Anglesey :)
pronounced clanferynghronwy roughly!!

Oh and I am a Scot and think the Daily Record have got some wrong...been to many of the places mentioned!

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Ellie61knit said:
I agree with you that some of these are way off, but the ones that drive me the craziest are glass cow or glass gow to rhyme with cow or Edinburg or edinburrow. That's what you hear people say a lot of times here in the states. My home town they want to say John Stone instead of like Johnston
Milngavie is off too. It's Mull-guy locally unless you're very, very posh and then it is indeed pronounced Mill-guy as the link says.
I'd like to see their version of Dalziel, Friockheim and Farquhar. (Dee-ell, Free-come, and Facchhhher or Far-ker). :sm09:

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Ellie61knit said:
Yes Welsh would be a lot harder. I live in Oklahoma now and we have a few Native American town names that are tough for outsiders to pronounce.
Agree with you about Welsh being more difficult. I've been just a couple of times and I've got the 'cl' for 'll' but the rest is a mystery. :sm09:

·
Registered
29,393 Posts
trish2222 said:
Milngavie is off too. It's Mull-guy locally unless you're very, very posh and then it is indeed pronounced Mill-guy as the link says.
I'd like to see their version of Dalziel, Friockheim and Farquhar. (Dee-ell, Free-come, and Facchhhher or Far-ker). :sm09:
What about Featherstonehaugh (Fanshaw) and Marjoribanks (Marchbanks) and who could forget Captain Mainwaring (Mannering) from Dad's Army? Oh the peculiarities of pronunciation!

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
I rode the train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen then to Keith and a cab to Dufftown. I was so happy after seeing the other names on the route that I was able to pronounce these cities correctly. My daughter and her husband were station there for years and taught me how to pronounce Edinburgh correctly. Most beautiful country I've ever seen.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
rujam said:
What about Featherstonehaugh (Fanshaw) and Marjoribanks (Marchbanks) and who could forget Captain Mainwaring (Mannering) from Dad's Army? Oh the peculiarities of pronunciation!
They're English, I believe, and they've got their own peculiarities too. I wasn't aware of the pronunciation of Featherstonehaugh so thank you for that one! Gloucester (Glo-ster) and Worcester (Woo-ster) also spring to mind.
We just need some Irish place names now to make up the set. :sm09:

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
They're a bit off with some of their pronunciations. Being born & raised in Edinburgh I've always pronounced "Anstruther" the way it's spelled. I think it's impossible to write the "Ch" sound.
The problem I have in Canada is the weird pronunciation of their many Scottish towns, e.g. Oban , here it is O-ban instead of O-ban.

·
Registered
30,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
trish2222 said:
I don't want to be contentious, Lassie, but I think the Daily Rag employed an Englishman/woman to pronounce some of the place names. 'ech' pronounced 'eck'??. Findochty where I have relatives is Fin-ecchhh-ty. Ecclefechan etc, etc. The 'ch' is guttural.
Sorry, no offence to you - just to the rag which should really know better.
Yes Trish I know what you mean but I thought it would be interesting for some on Kp I should have added the Scots would find the pronouncation imperfect . Ach weel I tried !!

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
scottishlass said:
Yes Trish I know what you mean but I thought it would be interesting for some on Kp I should have added the Scots would find the pronouncation imperfect . Ach weel I tried !!
Ock never mind :sm17: :sm09:

A good wee conversation came off the back of it anyway :sm24:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
We're watching a lot of British/Australian tv right now on Acorn, and last night my husband turned to me and said, "I haven't understood a word they said in the last 5 minutes!" It doesn't help that he's hard of hearing in one ear either. Of course, here in Louisiana we have towns like Natchitoches, pronounced nackotish. Between the French, Indian, and Spanish influences, our English can sound pretty mangled sometimes.
But it's all lovely to hear; I love listening to foreign programs in any language even though I can't understand them. If I'm lucky there's closed captioning.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom