Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I would really love to learn how to knit and my problem is I'm not sure how to start the strand of knitting on the needle. Can you please show a picture of exactly how to put the stitches on the needle? I would really appreciate it if you would do this so I may start knitting shirts and doggy clothes cause I make them from crotcheting already and would like to expand my knitting techniques. Thanks

imadoglover16 said:
I would really love to learn how to knit and my problem is I'm not sure how to start the strand of knitting on the needle. Can you please show a picture of exactly how to put the stitches on the needle? I would really appreciate it if you would do this so I may start knitting shirts and doggy clothes cause I make them from crotcheting already and would like to expand my knitting techniques. Thanks
Hi
Just go to your search engine and put
need free video instructions for knitting
and they should show you sites. I believe Anniesattic.com has video on their site.

Linda

More specifically, you should be looking for info on "casting on" in knitting. There are various methods to do this, and unless you are told to use a specific cast-on method in a pattern you are free to use whichever method you like. Below is a list of some of the more common cast-on types you can find demonstrated on YouTube or on various knitting sites. Try doing a search with these terms and take a look at what you find.

long-tail cast-on
backward loop cast-on
cable cast-on
knitted cast-on
2 needle cast-on

imadoglover16 said:
Hi...I taught myself to make socks etc...from Knitting for Dummies by Pam Allen...GR8 book..very clear and teaches you everything you need to know to begin knitting.
Hope this helps.

Camilla

Good Morning,

Go to YouTube.com and type in "learning to knit". There are a lot of videos that show you what you need to see. This is how I learned again.

Have a great day.

imadoglover16 said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting,

Besides watching videos on You Tube, which are very important, check out from the library the book by Sharon Turner, Teaching yourself Visually Knitting. This is a step-by-step guide to knitting, what to do, when to do it and how to do it, plus how to use double points and circulars. This book can be found, for purchase, at Amazon. Do get the second edition.

Happy knitting.

:-D

Hi

Most of the knitting pattern sites have a "How To Do" section and doing a search would come up with lots and lots.
Hope you manage to get started without getting too confused. :D

Pam

Some of my friends were wanting to learn how to knit, but they could never find a day that they could all get together for me to teach them, so I made a tutorial for them to take home and use. I've attached it here for you. It will teach you how to cast on and also how to do the knit stitch. I hope this will help you. :)

Attachments

knittinghelp.com is a wonderful site...just a book wasn't enough for me...I needed to be able to watch and do at the same time. KnitPicks also has videos, or you can always You Tube the specific technique you are looking for...start with cast on methods. Good Luck!!!

I really suggest after you get going, if possible, take a beginning class from a local yarn shop. I took one after I had been self-taught for 10 years and learned so much. A big advantage over books and videos is you can ask the teacher questions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom