Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
You can bring yarn from front to back (between needles) then over needle to front, ready to purl. Or bring yarn from front position, over top of needle, and forward again between needles, ready for purl stitch. For a smaller hole or to tighten your stitches, purl your next stitch with yarn held to the back (as if you were to knit a stitch) and purl. Try this slowly the first time and watch the action. You sort or automatically produce a YO before the purl stitch.
No hard rule here. See which produces the size hole you like. if you knit tight you may not want the last way. But if you knit loose, it can solve problems with holes too big.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I need to give a little more info, sorry. I'm doing a shawl with first 3 stitches in garter. The customary row of YO's is on the right side but also on the purl row, so I'm completing a knit st. then a YO, so my yarn is at the back, now if I just bring it forward, then purl there is no YO, so I completely wrap around the needle. Now of course it doesn't look like the one at the end of the row which is a YO following a purl stitch. Maybe I'm just being too anal?

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Badgerbluff said:
I guess I need to give a little more info, sorry. I'm doing a shawl with first 3 stitches in garter. The customary row of YO's is on the right side but also on the purl row, so I'm completing a knit st. then a YO, so my yarn is at the back, now if I just bring it forward, then purl there is no YO, so I completely wrap around the needle. Now of course it doesn't look like the one at the end of the row which is a YO following a purl stitch. Maybe I'm just being too anal?
Ok yarn is in the back to begin with. Bring yarn forward between needles, up over toward back and then front between needles ready to purl next stitch. Or try last way, leave yarn at the back and do the purl stitch. This automatically produces a YO.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Badgerbluff, If I understand your question correctly, if you are going from a knit stitch to a purl stitch with a yo inbetween, you have to wrap the yarn around the needle twice; once for the yo and once for the next purl stitch. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
32,688 Posts
Ditto.

Linda6885 said:
Ok yarn is in the back to begin with. Bring yarn forward between needles, up over toward back and then front between needles ready to purl next stitch. Or try last way, leave yarn at the back and do the purl stitch. This automatically produces a YO.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here's a guide that I use...

Yarn-overs in extreme detail:
After a Knit and Before a Purl
Beginning with the working yarn in the back of the needles, bring the yarn to the front of the work between the needles, then over the right needle and again to the front—wrapping the needle—and ready to purl the next stitch.

After a Purl and Before a Knit
Beginning with the working yarn in front of the needles, bring the yarn over the right needle to the back, ready to knit the next stitch.

Between Two Knit Stitches
Beginning with the yarn in the back of the needles, bring the yarn to the front of the work between the needles, then over the right needle to the back, ready to knit the next stitch.

Between Two Purl Stitches
Beginning with the working yarn in front of the needles, bring the yarn over the top of the right needle to the back, then between the two needles to the front—wrapping the needle—and ready to purl the next stitch.

Hope it helps!

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
Linda6885 said:
Ok yarn is in the back to begin with.
Bring yarn forward between needles, up over toward back and then front between needles ready to purl next stitch.

Or try last way, leave yarn at the back and do the purl stitch.
This automatically produces a YO.
You do not want to leave the working yarn in the back.
When you do, it does not automatically create a YO.
Not with the proper yarn looseness (extra yarn) needed for the YO to be created.
It actually only crosses over the stitches and is too tight to be a proper YO (creating the holes for the shawl pattern).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom