Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been knitting for over 40 years and crocheting almost as long. I also spin yarn (new addiction), quilt and sew. Moved to Colorado 4 years ago this month (from Chicago) and love it. My proximity to fiber here is wonderful as there are many alpaca breeders in the area, not to mention Bison/Buffalo ranchers (wonderful fiber to work with) and sheep ranchers galore!

I belong to several other on line knitting communities but I'm fairly new to Kitting Paradise.

Looking forward to making new friends and learning a few "new tricks".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Courier770: Hey, welcome to Colorado! I've lived here for 7 years and love most of the weather (the cold right now is giving my joints fits). I am very versatile in crochet work, but am a new(ish) and definitely unskilled knitter. I know we have a lot of alpaca breeders here, and missed the alpaca show last year. Would love to learn to knit better, and can teach crochet, but would eventually like to learn to spin. Happy to have you here. :mrgreen: Lila

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi and welcome. I'm also new here and I love this forum. I've already learned a few new things/tricks for knitting on here. I teach knitting here (Cape Cod, MA) and would teach you if you were a little closer...lol :)

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the cold has been bad lately. I'm a FedEx driver so I'm out in it all day....but our cold isn't bad like the midwest where the temps are much lower and the "dampness" is so bad! Besides, we have great "scenery" too! I've been coming out here for many years. After my son moved here (after college) I swore I'd get here....eventually.

We Coloradan's have the best of many worlds...a great climate, wonderful sunshine...magnificent views...and FIBER! What's not to love?

Thanks for the welcome,
Lillian

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
courier770 said:
I've been knitting for over 40 years and crocheting almost as long. I also spin yarn (new addiction), quilt and sew. Moved to Colorado 4 years ago this month (from Chicago) and love it. My proximity to fiber here is wonderful as there are many alpaca breeders in the area, not to mention Bison/Buffalo ranchers (wonderful fiber to work with) and sheep ranchers galore!

I belong to several other on line knitting communities but I'm fairly new to Kitting Paradise.

Looking forward to making new friends and learning a few "new tricks".
Ohhhhh. I have always wanted to spin my own yarn. :) Is it hard? Seems like it would just take practice to get the feel and the right "tension" or whatever its called. :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My son was in Brighton/Ft. Lupton/Longmont area for about 15 years. He ran out of work and just moved to TN this week. I'm sorry he left CO, but glad to have him only a days drive from me.....

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does take some practice, I'm pretty new at it...it's fun. The investment in a wheel can be a little "hefty"..then of course you have to find the exact right stool/seat/bench, books, fiber...ha ha

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my son moved out here after college (swore he was going to from the time he made his first trip at age 13!). I'm glad I followed and was fortunate enough to swing a transfer from my employer!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
courier770 said:
It does take some practice, I'm pretty new at it...it's fun. The investment in a wheel can be a little "hefty"..then of course you have to find the exact right stool/seat/bench, books, fiber...ha ha
I have a patient (I'm a visiting nurse in the daytime :) ) that has a BIG spinning wheel in her dining room. I asked about it one day and she and husband told me it belonged to his great (maybe great-great) grandmother (he's 82) who brought if from England in the late 1700's. Oh.......too cool. I love old family heirlooms. :)

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wheels of any age are cool...the antique one are magnificent...though most are usually missing parts that cannot be found. My home is "ultra" modern..so I chose an "unfinished" wheel and this summer I hope to stain it in a "black wash" with pewter trim...to match my decor.

I don't know if you have ever had the chance to visit a mill..but if you ever get the chance..do so. We knitters and crocheters tend to take "advantage" of yarn...learning about how it is made is really interesting and gives you a new appreciation for it.

Our town has a very interesting farmers market. One of the staples of this market is a woman who sells yarn that she spins from her own flock of sheep..she does a wonderful job. Every year I pick up a few "hanks" from her, to knit into something for family in far flung places. I attach a tag that says "Hand knit in ___________, from yarn grown and spun here too".

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I keep thinking "when I retire.......". Probably why retirees say they are so busy they don't know how they found time to work! LOL

Several years ago I was in a fiber shop in Frankenmuth, MI. The owner had been spinning yarn from everything imaginable - had even grown out her poodle with intention of spinning its fur. Alas, the dog rolled in the mud and she gave up and cut it off! LOL One of these days I'm going to look into alpaca yarn.... :)

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For a brief time in my life I lived in MI...and anyone who has ever been there has been to Frankenmuth! Lovely town..if you like Christmas decorations, and fried chicken..didn't know they had a yarn shop.

Dog yarn...sort of "stinks". Like a "wet dog"! ha ha! Maybe her pet did her a favor!

I'm 5 years from retirement and can hardly wait! I just hope I can find a grocery store that delivers...because I'm just sure I won't have time to shop for food!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom