Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patons Sock Yarn - self striping. The pattern is from the book "Knitting Circles around Socks" by Antje Gillingham. You knit 2 at one time on 2 circular needles. Since I have learned this method It is the only way I knit socks anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a question. You say you like knitting socks 'two at a time' on circular needle. I have Antgie's book, but just haven't taken the time to study it because a friend has been 'teaching' me aspects of socks 'her way' and I keep having trouble with turning the heel. Are Antgie's instructions easily understood? I've only used four dp needles and that might be the reason I become so confused. Do you think the 'two at a time' method on circular needle made the end result for you much easier to solve? I need a simpler way to do my heels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes she has several pages getting you started with the 2 socks I have really studied the pictures and I love her way. I think she has helped me the most of any other author on knitting socks that i have read. When I first started with the picking up sts and the gusset I was very confused but I finally had a knitting revelation and now hers is the sock pattern I refer to all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you very much. I'll be checking and studying her book now to see if I have the same results as you do. I've done one pair of socks, but with constant guidance by my friend (which isn't
often available)and I just put aside another pair hoping for a 'revelation' as you put it. A good instruction book will be my only answer and the all important, stick-to-it-tiveness. Thanks for the reply; I'll have to let you know how I make out with the 'two-at-a-time' choice.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
There are 3 good tutorials by come to silver, 2 that use circular needles: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/
Scroll down until you come to turorials. There are detailed, pictorial explanations for 3 different ways to make socks. For me, it is easier with one sock on 2 circular needles than 2 at a time, but that is your decision to make. There are also different styles of heels and some are easier than others. Socks a la Carte (http://www.amazon.com/Socks-Carte-Pick-Choose-Patterns/dp/1600611850/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298585747&sr=1-1) and Socks a la Carte 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Socks-Carte-Toes-Choose-Patterns/dp/1440304262/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298585747&sr=1-2) by Jonelle Raffino are good resources. They let you mix and match different kinds of toes and heels using several knitting techniques. There are many other good sock books as well. Check out all the free on-line tutorials you get from other readers. If you have a local yarn shope, you might see what books they have so you can choose which one is better for you. I have Socks al la Carte 2 and it has been really helpful.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hi Mary E,

I took a class with 2 socks at a time I'm not really sure witch method I like best. I'm also just starting to do socks. My husband got me that book you were talking about . I have quite a few different patterns picked out to try. I have one question though . How would you go about making any of them into knee high. any advice.
barb

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I haven't made high socks. Maybe someone else has and can offer some advice. Someone in one of my knitting classes was making over-the knee socks for her daughter and she commented that they wouldn't be as long as they looked because the length would be taken up when the went on her leg. You have to make the tops wide enough to fit a larger circumference than the ankle but I sure don't know the formula of circumference versus length. I look forward to hearing someone else's advice

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom