Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sweet shawl pattern wants aran weight yarn. I used yarn sub but I do not have any of that fancey yarn. How can I make my acrylic match up to aran weight. Any one know of the "more economical yarn" that would be the weight of aran weight?
I have caron simply soft....a little berella 4...red heart super saver. Anything along those line might match up? Oh....I have a few LB landscapes....

Thank You for any help.....wil two strands of baby yarn work?

·
Registered
27,125 Posts
This pattern? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sweet-shawl-2
The tan shawls was made with sock yarn!
Substituting a WW yarn should not be a problem. Red Heart super saver is as heavy as many yarns that are labeled aran weight. Often in shawls getting exact gauge is not mandatory to get a beautiful outcome.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You all so much! I need to learn what I can interchange as I really like my prayer shawls to be pretty designs. You should see people's faces when I make something pretty and not just the same old knit and purl straight lines. Don't get me wrong....they appreciate anything but when I put my heart in it and make something different you should see their faces light up and the smiles......

Thank You so much for all your help!
Eileen

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jinx said:
This pattern? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sweet-shawl-2
The tan shawls was made with sock yarn!
Substituting a WW yarn should not be a problem. Red Heart super saver is as heavy as many yarns that are labeled aran weight. Often in shawls getting exact gauge is not mandatory to get a beautiful outcome.
Oh jinx....you are such an inspiration! I wanted to make a few in lighter weight as some people prefer the lighter weight. I am not good at judging how to make them the same size using different yarns. I know women like the larger shawls and most of mine barely fit. What is the use of making something if it can't be used often as intended. I do not want them to thank me and put aside only to find out later that if it were larger it would be used more.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Open, lacy stitches will make a shawl lighter and satisfy your desire to make a prettier look. Also, if you want it larger, you can just add some repeats of the lace pattern. Doing a swatch and a little math should enable you to use your Aran/worsted stash and still get the look and feel you want.

Thanks for doing the charity knitting thing! It is very rewarding and I love that you get to see the recipients as they enjoy their gifts.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
anteateralice said:
Open, lacy stitches will make a shawl lighter and satisfy your desire to make a prettier look. Also, if you want it larger, you can just add some repeats of the lace pattern. Doing a swatch and a little math should enable you to use your Aran/worsted stash and still get the look and feel you want.

Thanks for doing the charity knitting thing! It is very rewarding and I love that you get to see the recipients as they enjoy their gifts.
Oh....no......did you say the M word????? MATH????? Yikes.....!

For the people with a death in the family.....depression....things like that I think something light and lacy can make them feel better. When we had the fire and were doing disaster relief I had some chocolate given to us and a lady asked for some......we began a conversation and little did I know.....the next time we have a fire and do relief I am going to go buy chocolate candy bars for the moms (and any girls)....okay; I'll give them to everyone! We cannot give open candy (or anything food wise) but this lady asked for some and told me it made her feel better........just some chocolate gave her some coping skills.....
Now; I know it is off topic but it is good to know......

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Irish knitter said:
Oh....no......did you say the M word????? MATH????? Yikes.....!

For the people with a death in the family.....depression....things like that I think something light and lacy can make them feel better. When we had the fire and were doing disaster relief I had some chocolate given to us and a lady asked for some......we began a conversation and little did I know.....the next time we have a fire and do relief I am going to go buy chocolate candy bars for the moms (and any girls)....okay; I'll give them to everyone! We cannot give open candy (or anything food wise) but this lady asked for some and told me it made her feel better........just some chocolate gave her some coping skills.....
Now; I know it is off topic but it is good to know......
Sorry about using the M word; should have said the A word (arithmetic) which sounds sort of elementary school-ish and less threatening!

That's funny you mentioned chocolate. I had some students who had to stay in Qualcomm Stadium when we had a bad fire a few years ago. They managed to get to school each day and I took some chocolate to them which they really appreciated.

It's a small gesture but when people cheer up a bit, that's a big return!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom