Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , my 1st row reads like this.

Knit 4, *K1, yo, [K1, P3] 4 times, K1, yo rep.from* to last st, knit 4

Now I know I knit 4, on each end.

Then I knit *K1, yo, [K1, P3] I know I do that 4 times. Then I K1 yo.

So when I start over I knit another *K1, yo,
That makes it K1, yo, two times in a row. At the end and at the beginning. I have started this over 3 times so far. my count gets off.
it does increase. I just can not get the end and the beginning. Thank you . Hilde

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, so very much. I will start over again. I have done that now 3 times but do not want to give up on this pattern. It is a nice pattern. Thanks again, Hilde

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Wait, what you wrote does have K1 yo, K1 yo twice. Did you write it properly? Or should the asterick go just before the [K1 ? Double check what the pattern says, and write it out like Mavisb did--never hurts to take it to its most simplified description.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
hilde said:
Ok , my 1st row reads like this.

Knit 4, *K1, yo, [K1, P3] 4 times, K1, yo rep.from* to last st, knit 4

Now I know I knit 4, on each end.

Then I knit *K1, yo, [K1, P3] I know I do that 4 times. Then I K1 yo.

So when I start over I knit another *K1, yo,
That makes it K1, yo, two times in a row. At the end and at the beginning. I have started this over 3 times so far. my count gets off.
it does increase. I just can not get the end and the beginning. Thank you . Hilde
Your count may be off if you are repeating any more of the stitches than what are in the brackets. You have it K1,yo, then a bracket and K1, P3 and a bracket you only repeat 4 times what is in the brackets then continue with the directions for the rest of the row. which is a K1, yo. then you repeat that whole sequence to the end of the row and then you do the K4. Hope this makes sense. It is a way of notating a pattern within a pattern in a shorter way. can be very confusing till you get used to how to read it.

·
Registered
13,726 Posts
On the next row after the one you described, are you sure it isn't a purl row? And then the pattern row every other row? That's usually how yarn overs are incorporated into a design. It does sound confusing and I wish I could see the whole pattern. With that yo at the end it sounds like there would be five knit stitches in the beginning and only four at the end of the row. Something does seem to be amiss.

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
Knit 4 *K1, yo, [K1, P3] 4 times, K1, yo rep.from* to last st knit 4

Is the pattern correct as you posted it? If you do the repeats to the last st, you won't have 4 sts left to knit.

Otherwise each repeat will be
k1, yo, [K1, P3, K1, P3, K1, P3, K1, P3], k1, yo =
2 sts + 16 sts + 2 sts = 20 stitches for each repeat

How many stitches are on your needle when you start this pattern?

Take the number of stitches on your needle, subtract 8 for the first 4 and last 4 knit stitches = ?? the remaining number of sts. should be divisible by 20 (the number of stitches in your pattern / repeat).

It will help if you put Stitch Markers before each set of 20, so each time you finish 20 stitches and reach the next marker, you can count to make sure you have 20 stitches.

Stitch markers can be short lengths of of yarn that you knot with a loop to go over the needle, paper clips .. just about anything that you can slip along the needles as you knit.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This discussion seems to be about a pattern which someone is having trouble following. Maybe the knowledgeable ones offering assistance can help me, too. I have two patterns for the feather and fan afghan, and have started twice or three times--it's beinnging to blur in my mind--and ripped out the same number of times. The trouble is that the pattern leaves a few things vague. Why can't they tell me how many stitches to leave for the border on the sides, instead of leaving me to decide? Is the one stitch at the beginning and end of each row counted in the multiples of 18 stitches? I keep getting the wrong number of stitches between markers. Is there a really complete and specific pattern on the Internet?

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
jjane139 said:
This discussion seems to be about a pattern which someone is having trouble following. Maybe the knowledgeable ones offering assistance can help me, too. I have two patterns for the feather and fan afghan, and have started twice or three times--it's beinnging to blur in my mind--and ripped out the same number of times. The trouble is that the pattern leaves a few things vague. Why can't they tell me how many stitches to leave for the border on the sides, instead of leaving me to decide? Is the one stitch at the beginning and end of each row counted in the multiples of 18 stitches? I keep getting the wrong number of stitches between markers. Is there a really complete and specific pattern on the Internet?
For more response you might want to move this topic to CREATE NEW TOPIC. Call it feather & fan afghan help and be sure to include the beginning directions and where you are having the problem.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
jjane139 said:
I have seen quite a few patterns for the feather/fan stitch posted here and on Ravelry. I am sure there are more on the internet. Take a look at the pictures with the patterns to help you decide which you like best then follow that pattern.

A lot of times stitch patterns are just given in multiples are so you can make the fabric as large or small as you want. They don't include a border but tell you the "extra" stitch you need so the pattern wil look finished. If you want a border, you make the adjustment yourself--say 5 garter stitches (knit only) at each edge.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The way I read this, it seems that the "K1, yo" is actually part of the repeat. So it's:
*K1, yo, K1,P3,K1,P3,K1,P3,K1,P3, K1, yo. Then start back at the *.
The repeat isn't just for the 4 stitches of K1,P3 (making 16), but for the 18 stitches.
Is the pattern for a multiple of 18 stitches plus 8 (4 on each side) for the border?
Sorry if I made this more complicated than needed. And I haven't tried it out on a swatch, so take my answer with a grain of salt... it's just my take on the way it's written.

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
back to my original question:

If your pattern is Knit 4 *K1, yo, [K1, P3] 4 times, K1, yo rep.from* to last st knit 4

Is the pattern correct as you posted it? If you do the repeats to the last st, you won't have 4 sts left to knit.

What are you making? How many stitches are you starting with? Can you post the first few rows?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom