Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I freely admit that,but does that give people the right to say so,

Example I know this lady only because we use her checkout.
That is the only relationship.

Yesterday she starts telling us about her sons wedding and about one of the guests
" she was about your height , maybe a little shorter and like you she was rotund! I mean she carried extra weight like you... I mean. I have a little myself so that's ok but she was a large lady."
Being a lady myself and actually speechless I just smiled politely through gritted teeth.

Because I AM overweight is this acceptable and should I just grow an even thickerskin.

Thanks for letting me vent

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
She knew she was being rude as soon as the words were out of her mouth, but didn't know where to go from there! Just laugh and say Im not to heavy I'm too short for my weight, like said before you can't fix stupid!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I'm a little overweight as well. I can't help it. I'm on the Atkins diet. It doesn't help. I eat zero cakes, breads, muffins, pastries, brownies, etc... I'm dying for cheesecake, and I have been resisting for weeks. I haven't had cheesecake for years, and I'm still tempted!

I don't care what other people say. It's my belly that is fat, and it is very unattractive.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Vent away, some people are very ignorant.I have a young friend who used to look down on heavy people,until!!!!! She got very sick her metabolism change and she gained a ton of weight. Went from a size 6 to size 22 in about 6 months. Long story, but eventually they pinned down what was wrong, got fixed, but she can now only eat certain foods.. drum roll,,, she now has so much empathy for those of us who battle our weight. Hard lesson but not all weight problems are due to overeating.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Galaxy Knitter said:
I'm a little overweight as well. I can't help it. I'm on the Atkins diet. It doesn't help. I eat zero cakes, breads, muffins, pastries, brownies, etc... I'm dying for cheesecake, and I have been resisting for weeks. I haven't had cheesecake for years, and I'm still tempted!

I don't care what other people say. It's my belly that is fat, and it is very unattractive.
I am the same as you. Try to eat gluten free. This is usually what causes this. But you have to be COMPLETELY gluten free, not just a little gluten free. I try but it's either more expensive or very time consuming. Maybe I'm just too lazy. There are worse things than a big belly.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
nannalois47 said:
Vent away, some people are very ignorant.I have a young friend who used to look down on heavy people,until!!!!! She got very sick her metabolism change and she gained a ton of weight. Went from a size 6 to size 22 in about 6 months. Long story, but eventually they pinned down what was wrong, got fixed, but she can now only eat certain foods.. drum roll,,, she now has so much empathy for those of us who battle our weight. Hard lesson but not all weight problems are due to overeating.
Sounds like karma teaching her a needed lesson. :sm24: :sm24:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
My feelings would be hurt, even if I knew I had pounds to lose, doesn't make a difference.
A friend and I went to Weight Watchers. She had a few more pounds to shed; but after many months we both finally lost what we needed to! Better diet, smaller portions. So proud of her as I watched her shrink before my eyes! It took exercise too...while I was kinda hit and miss, she went swimming

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
It was rude, but it actually sounded like she caught herself and attempted to make things sound better, but only waded in deeper. No excuse, I know. I'm tall and am still asked how tall I am. I have reached a point where I simply answer, "This tall". By giving my actual height, would the questioner think 'Wow, that tall? 'Or I didn't think you were that tall'.
In either case, I don't care.

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
Ick. Stay out of her rude checkout.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
I really don't this this woman intended any ill will and did try to make amends. To hold it against her isn't really necessary. I'm sure there isn't one person among us who hasn't done the same thing or maybe you don't know you have. Give the lady a break. Life's too short.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom