Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts
Sunny70 said:
She knew she was being rude as soon as the words were out of her mouth, but didn't know where to go from there! Just laugh and say Im not to heavy I'm too short for my weight, like said before you can't fix stupid!
I think you're right. I'm sure as soon as she realized she was saying these things she tried to correct herself but only continued to dig a deeper hole due to embarrassment and nervousness. Extending a bit of grace is the bigger thing to do. I'm sure she was mortified by the time she got home.

Discussion starter · #83 ·
headlemk said:
I think you're right. I'm sure as soon as she realized she was saying these things she tried to correct herself but only continued to dig a deeper hole due to embarrassment and nervousness. Extending a bit of grace is the bigger thing to do. I'm sure she was mortified by the time she got home.
We saw her today, she was on the only check out open.. Hubby wanted to speak to her about it, but it's done.. No point dragging things up again. " If she feels bad, then why should I make her feel worse."
She was very polite and kept conversation to the weather lol.
I am after all the "bigger" person

:sm09: :sm09:

hennie said:
We saw her today, she was on the only check out open.. Hubby wanted to speak to her about it, but it's done.. No point dragging things up again. " If she feels bad, then why should I make her feel worse."

:sm24: :sm24:

hennie said:

:sm24: :sm01:

Discussion starter · #87 ·
Elder Ellen said:
OK, so don't mention overweight since that's a sensitive subject. What about those of us who are "too thin" and can't help it? We just have to take some rough comments. That doesn't seem exactly fair to me.
I agree
weight big or small fat or thin. Height - tall or short are personal things.

Elder Ellen said:
OK, so don't mention overweight since that's a sensitive subject. What about those of us who are "too thin" and can't help it? We just have to take some rough comments. That doesn't seem exactly fair to me.
No. It isn't, and society thinks it's OK to be too thin, although some individuals try to be a one-person crusade against the 'non-normal'. Anti-fat medical programmes and documentaries are everywhere. I feel for you. Do you get asked if you eat enough? If you are ill? I actually find it difficult to tell if a person's well or not, unless I know them well - in which case, no comment is better than a (an even accidentally) rude one. A person's value does not lie in his/her closeness to the 'fit' of society's 'normal' shape/weight.

GemsByGranny said:
No. It isn't, and society thinks it's OK to be too thin, although some individuals try to be a one-person crusade against the 'non-normal'. Anti-fat medical programmes and documentaries are everywhere. I feel for you. Do you get asked if you eat enough? If you are ill? I actually find it difficult to tell if a person's well or not, unless I know them well - in which case, no comment is better than a (an even accidentally) rude one. A person's value does not lie in his/her closeness to the 'fit' of society's 'normal' shape/weight.
I'm glad you understand. I get so tired of people saying "Eat, eat, eat!" "Take a big bite!" "Try some of this." "Umm, you'll love it." "You need to put some meat on your bones." etc. There are lots of hurtful comments for those of us who are underweight, and, it's as if we are fair game.

Discussion starter · #90 ·
fair game seems to sum things up. It seems to be acceptable to pass comment and judgement on whoever and whatever takes some ones fancy. Regardless of who gets hurt.
I only comment on someone's loss or gains if I personally know that has been their goal.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom