Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 452 Posts

·
Premium Member
81,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I saw and handled them in the store, I said they weren't for me. Then one came home in a bag of mixed balls from the second-hand store. I checked online; that lone ball of Rozetti Marina goes for $11! (Plus s&h, of course.)

OK. I decided to work up one of those ruffly scarves. I'm half-way through it. It is NOT relaxing to work. It is NOT fast to work. I may keep and wear the bleeping scarf, just because I like the colours, or I may give it away to the first person who seems to like it. It is NOT fun to make!

The next ball of such ersatz 'yarn' that comes into the house will go right out in the next donation bag! I just don't 'get' it. :thumbdown: :?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is hard to knit, and I dropped the stitches a couple of times and they are very hard to find. But when I gave the scarf to my daughter for her birthday, she put it on right away and left it there. She really liked it! So all the pain of knitting it did not matter. Of course, the other two saw it and want one too! So now I have to knit two more!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm 100% behind you on this one Jessica-Jean!

The yarn is pricey, and the finished product is (IMO) horrible! And it doesn't even look like it would function very well as a scarf!!! LOL! ....when the weather gets cold enough for a scarf, I want something a bit more substantial than a bunch of ruffles around my shoulders!

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I have one skein that was given to me. I still haven't used it.
I should probably just get it over with so I can give it away for Christmas.... anonymously so I don't get any requests for more.

·
Registered
271 Posts
We all have different tastes. For instance, I don't care to make afghans or animals, but I know others love them. As for the ruffle scarves - I made a couple, but because of the way I'm built, I didn't feel comfortable wearing them. My mother, however, who is much smaller than me, loved them and they look great on her. She doesn't wear them for warmth, but as an accessory. And yes, if any of my other relatives asked for one, I'd be out buying the yarn right now!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've made several ruffle scarves, for myself and others. I wore one to a dinner with friends and the women just loved it. I sold mine and three more on the spot. I found it easier to knit them on very large needles, although I made a couple on vacation with small needles because that's all I had with me. I can make one in about an hour, much faster than a normal scarf. I buy the yarn when on sale or with coupons. I even found some at big lots in beautiful fall colors for a dollar! I'm hoping they sell at a craft show this weekend!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have made 10 of the ruffle scarves for christmas gifts maybe some will like them others not so much. What surprised me was how warm they were. I wrapped one around my neck to test. Really they are for style not warm, but they are.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who "doesn't get them". I don't understand the appeal from either the making or wearing end. To each their own, of course, but I'll be glad when their moment as a fad is over.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's a Fashion Accessory not a winter scarf. They are very feminine. They light up you facial features. They are all the rage right now. It's a fad! Granted they are difficult to keep the threads on the needles. There are many instruction on youtube. I learned that using circular needles is much faster and not so much ripping out. They can't fall off the needles. Once you get the hang of it it can really be fun. I've already made seven for my sister-in-law. She loves them and the fact that others ask her where she got them. She is a very stylist person and fell in love with them almost immediately.
She is in her 70's, me too and I now am making some for my self.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's a Fashion Accessory not a winter scarf. They are very feminine. They light up you facial features. They are all the rage right now. It's a fad! Granted they are difficult to keep the threads on the needles. There are many instruction on youtube. I learned that using circular needles is much faster and not so much ripping out. They can't fall off the needles. Once you get the hang of it it can really be fun. I've already made seven for my sister-in-law. She loves them and the fact that others ask her where she got them. She is a very stylist person and fell in love with them almost immediately.
She is in her 70's, me too and I now am making some for myself.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
jumbleburt said:
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who "doesn't get them". I don't understand the appeal from either the making or wearing end. To each their own, of course, but I'll be glad when their moment as a fad is over.
I'm in the same camp with you & JJ & the others who don't get it! I don't think they are all that great, I'll never wear the one I made to try out. It's just not a fashion accessory I'll ever wear and I do wear many scarfs/shawlettes. These just do not appeal to me. Maybe if I did wear it I could find someone who wanted it - I'd gladly give it to them.

I did make 2 of the skirts - for little girls I think they are cute.

·
Registered
41,678 Posts
I saw a demonstration at the LYS with the yarn and thought it was clever, but I wasn't interested in the scarves - I have a thick enough neck---don't need any extra material in that area!! However, I recently saw a cute little skirt with the ruffle yarn as an extra little flounce - it was really cute and since I have an 8 mos. granddaughter, I thought I'd use some of the yarn to make a skirt once she starts walking and is able to twirl around---that gives me a couple of years to figure it out!

1 - 20 of 452 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom