Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making a pullover out of Wisdom Poems yarn. It uses an easy, two-row lace pattern, called razor shell. I'm all done with the back, and now I'm working on the front.

I made a couple of mistakes on the back--I was at my knitting group and talking to folks while I knitted, which I've discovered is NOT a good idea with lace knitting, no matter how easy--but they were at the sides and barely notceable. I can't even find them anymore. So, it was on to the front.

I made one error, but it was hardly visible, toward the beginning of the front. Then, once again (don't I learn??), I took it to the knitting group and chatted while I knitted. Then I made a BUNCH of errors! I kept unpicking and correcting, but seemed to keep bungling on and on.

Anyway, last evening, I decided to frog the whole front, down to the garter stitch beginning, and start all over again. No more taking this project to the knitting group, that's for sure! It's definitely something I need to devote my attention to.

I feel a lot better after frogging, cos no matter how much I fixed what I'd done wrong, it still didn't look right. And I'm somebody who normally leaves errors, if they're not very noticeable.

Oh well. Another learning experience.

Hazel

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lindakaren12 said:
Take easy, no brainer projcts to knitting groups....or any other group, actually
You're so right! Normally, I take critter blankets, which I knit for local animal shelters and animal rescues. They're done all in garter stitch, and I don't have to think about them at all. Or I take small hand towels, which I don't have to think about, either.

Hazel

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Good to know. We just got another LYS in our area (several have come and gone). They also have a Wed morning get together and knit. I will remember to take easy things or a no brainer project. Thanks
Judy

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
I've discovered , in this last few weeks, that even 'simple' designs can go wrong when you, or someone else is talking.
intensely dislike 'frogging' or 'unpicking', especially if there is a quantity of mohair in the yarn. however if the project is for someone else, it becomes a different matter. My best time for complex work is early morning, while the rest of the household is asleep

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
jmai5421 said:
Good to know. We just got another LYS in our area (several have come and gone). They also have a Wed morning get together and knit. I will remember to take easy things or a no brainer project. Thanks
Judy
if you want to show off some work, you can always pack that aswell

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Might be time to use a lifeline - so that should you make a mistake, you only have to frog down to the lifeline (the last place where you know everything was correct)

Yes, move the lifeline (or add another one) as you continue the item.

It sure helped me when I realized the mistake I made about 7 inches down on a Celtic braid pattern. Oops.

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
Marny CA said:
Might be time to use a lifeline - so that should you make a mistake, you only have to frog down to the lifeline (the last place where you know everything was correct)

Yes, move the lifeline (or add another one) as you continue the item.

It sure helped me when I realized the mistake I made about 7 inches down on a Celtic braid pattern. Oops.
remember hearing the term, but not sure how to do it?!!!

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
I don't bring anything to the knitting group if it is not a very, very simple pattern I can not knit and talk at the same time and I always use life lines because I have frogged soo many things.Over and over again.Have fun.

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
c.kenny said:
I'm trying to find the "2 row lace pattern called 'razor shell' and no luck so far. Would you please share it? I love easy patterns :)
Multiple of 12+1

Row 1 (wrong side): purl

Row 2 (right side): K1, *yo, K4, slip 1, k2tog, PSSO, K4, yo, k1; repeat from *

Repeat these two rows.

I don't have my index cards in front of me right now, so I'm guessing at the pattern, which I shouldn't do. ;-) But I hope this is correct. The next time I go into the house (I'm out in my office, which is a separate building), I'll check my index cards to make sure I've written this correctly.

BTW, I started off the pattern by knitting 6 rows/3 ridges of garter stitch before I launched into the lace pattern. You don't have to do that, but I thought I'd form a nice edge this way.

The pattern undulates beautifully! It's simple enough to show up through yarn that has long color repeats, but it'd also be lovely with a solid color.

Hazel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom