Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all my fellow KPers,

I have been knitting for many years now, so I think I'm quite experienced. However, I need some help with a problem.

I am married to a very lovely, but very portly man (he loves his food) and dispite looking far and wide for a knitting pattern to fit him, I have drawn a blank! He is currently a
7XL, and usually gets his clothing from a Big & Tall outlet.
I am aware that the task is quite a challenge even for the most experienced knitter! But he keeps asking when will I make him something?

Do any of you know of a site that has patterns which caters for this size of gentleman?

I did think of calculating the stitches needed from a pattern I already have, but I am unsure how to do this and would hate to make the jumper to small!

I wait on tender hooks to hear your advice!

Nigglynellie.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a son who is 6'7" and his sweater/shirt size is a 4xl tall. I feel your pain.
I've simply had to do the math. I've made him several aran sweaters and am working on a hoodie for him for Christmas.
I'm afraid your just going to have to get out a pencil and paper. Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Those links are great! Very helpful for me as well as the op.
As for my pup, her name is Maggie, she has grown a bit since that picture. She's a Great Pyrenees, currently 9 months old, 31 inches tall and 110 pounds! But she's still a sweetie.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Loraia said:
This book http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Without-Tears-Easy-Follow/dp/0684135051?linkCode=wsw&tag=laptops247-20 will make your life easier. Maybe you can get a copy from your library. Check the reviews at amazon for a good read on this one.
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/topdown.guest.cfm This website is absolutely wonderful. I linked to the page for a specific sweater, at the bottom, enter your needs and rejoice.
Thanks for the 'knittingfool' web site! :thumbup: I'd found it a long time ago but had forgotten about it.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/tools/YardageConversion.html
This site has a knitting conversion that you can use to get the stitch count for your husband's measurements for the sweater pattern you want to use. Hope it helps.
Nigglynellie said:
Hello all my fellow KPers,

I have been knitting for many years now, so I think I'm quite experienced. However, I need some help with a problem.

I am married to a very lovely, but very portly man (he loves his food) and dispite looking far and wide for a knitting pattern to fit him, I have drawn a blank! He is currently a
7XL, and usually gets his clothing from a Big & Tall outlet.
I am aware that the task is quite a challenge even for the most experienced knitter! But he keeps asking when will I make him something?

Do any of you know of a site that has patterns which caters for this size of gentleman?

I did think of calculating the stitches needed from a pattern I already have, but I am unsure how to do this and would hate to make the jumper to small!

I wait on tender hooks to hear your advice!

Nigglynellie.

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
Loraia said:
This book http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Without-Tears-Easy-Follow/dp/0684135051?linkCode=wsw&tag=laptops247-20 will make your life easier. Maybe you can get a copy from your library. Check the reviews at amazon for a good read on this one.
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/topdown.guest.cfm This website is absolutely wonderful. I linked to the page for a specific sweater, at the bottom, enter your needs and rejoice.
The second link you give looks just the ticket!

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
<G> It's easier to design the socks than the sweater. I FULLY recommend two 40 inch tip-to-tip circulars for socks. If you are doing the sweater...one 60 inch for holding and eventually to neckline work, and 2 or 4 (40 inch) for handing the sleeves and different sections.

No sarcasm is meant...just dealing with in-the-round for the sleeves will take better coordination with two matched size circulars that are not the main 60 inch.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
VermontFiberDesigns.com has men's sweater patterns to size 6X. A pattern this size would get you close to what you need and should make it easier to figure any changes from there.

Also, there is an interesting article, "Sweaters for Men--Seven Key Areas of Fit." on KnittingDaily.com.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
If it were me, I like the top down raglan idea, cardi or pullover. First of all the arms are easier to get into and out of. Second and maybe best of all, the only math you have to do is the number of stitches in the ribbing to go around his neck comfortably and where to place two of the markers, (the other two will be identical to the first).

After that you can try it on and check how much farther to go to get to the underarm comfortably. That is when you put the stitches between the markers on hold and knit the front and back in the round increasing evenly if necessary, for as long as it takes to get where it will come below his belt when he is sitting so he won't have to keep tugging to avoid a draft.

What do you think? No seams to sew up and you can try it on as many times as you need as you go.

Here is a look at one way of figuring the math I'm sure there are others. I can think of a few.
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/topdown.guest.cfm

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
debidoodle said:
As for my pup, her name is Maggie, she has grown a bit since that picture. She's a Great Pyrenees, currently 9 months old, 31 inches tall and 110 pounds! But she's still a sweetie.
Debi - your little pup is a cutie! My pic is our dog, Hawkeye - he is a Great Pyrenees/Bernese Moukntain dog mix. He's about 6-7 yrs old in this pic and about 120 lbs.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Nigglynellie said:
Thank you sooo much all of you. I have no excuses now!

I will post a picture when its done - but don't hold your breath cos it may be while yet.
it's going to take a while...my DH is a 3XL and it takes a bit of time and patience to make him something. Recently I knit him two hats just to keep him quiet until I can get his sweater done....at least now he can't say I never knit him anything...LOL

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Once you know the basics of garment construction, designing is a matter of math. I'm hard to fit and that's why and how I learned.

The key is your gauge, do more than one swatch at different times of the day...you may knit tighter or looser depending on that.

You been given scads of good references here. Start with a plain sweater and make copious notes as you're knitting. Once you are comfortable with your basic pattern, then start bringing in different elements...stitches, cables, different necklines, cardigan. Before long, he'll have several warm and gorgeous sweaters and you'll have a few patterns to work with!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Hi. My neighbor had a Great Pyranese, all white. She's a sweetie but quite the barker, always has something to say, even at 3:30 in the morning. I can't leave or enter my house without the neighborhood being alerted. I hope yours doesn't enjoy her voice as much as Kelly does.

debidoodle said:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The ABC Surprize Jacket s a recipe, not a pattern, and you can do the math to create the size and length needed. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom