Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new Knit Picks interchangeables last week. I am making a cloth that calls for size 10. I pull out the 10's from the case and check them with my size checker. They don't go all the way into the 10 hole but go into the 11 with some clearance. The 9's fit nicely into the 9 hole without a gap. Are my 10's 10's or are they 10.5's? I'm using a Boye Knitting gauge.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
It's not just you. I had trouble with the sizing also and I used two different gauges. I suppose I'll have to buy their gauge to size them correctly. I still have some 4's and 5's that I'm not sure if I've sized them correctly.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Stablebummom said:
I just received my new Knit Picks interchangeables last week. I am making a cloth that calls for size 10. I pull out the 10's from the case and check them with my size checker. They don't go all the way into the 10 hole but go into the 11 with some clearance. The 9's fit nicely into the 9 hole without a gap. Are my 10's 10's or are they 10.5's? I'm using a Boye Knitting gauge.
I have 3 gauges (all different brands) and they all measure slightly different.
If exact measurements for your cloth are not an issue the Knit Picks size 10 should be fine. There is a big difference between a size 10 and size 11 needle.
If you were knitting a garment you would have to check gauge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am having trouble sizing my Knitpicks interchangeable as well. Thanks for the idea to get their gauge......which I will add to the Sunstruck set on my Christmas list! Love the Harmony set. I do have one Sunstruck interchangeable that I bought to try on a dark colored afghan. I like them. But the Sunstruck is rougher than the Harmony.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Stablebummom said:
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Knit Picks gauge come with size 10 -10 1/2 - 10 3/4

I have their set and I only use their gauge to measure their needles. I find it to be more accurate than the other gauges I have. I also like Knit Picks gauge it has a magnifier strip so I can see the stitches better. It's well worth the money ... can't remember what it cost but it was not much.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I have noticed that too... I wonder why there is such a big difference between the 2 sizes... all other sizes seem to be just a tad larger or smaller... I guess that also is why there is a 10.5 size too... I'll be adding to my set so I think a knit pick guage would be a wise investment... thanks for the post..

GroodleMom said:
Stablebummom said:
I have 3 gauges (all different brands) and they all measure slightly different.
If exact measurements for your cloth are not an issue the Knit Picks size 10 should be fine. There is a big difference between a size 10 and size 11 needle.
If you were knitting a garment you would have to check gauge.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I just tried mine in both of my sizers. I rarely use needles that big, so hadn't used them yet. My 10 fit fine in my Susan Bates sizer (so did 10 1/2 & 11). The 10 didn't fit into the 10 hole on my Boye sizer, but was obviously loose in the 10 1/2 (10 1/2 & 11 fit fine in that sizer). I would think as long as you get gauge with your knitting it shouldn't be a problem. (I usually have to go 2 sizes smaller to get gauge, which is why I rarely use the larger needles. My sizes 4 - 6 get used the most.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom