Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Whoever you are, you posted about an author, Sally Goldenbaum, who was a friend of yours (?) and has written a series of books set in a New England coastal town similar to Rockport, Massachusetts. I hope you see this post, because I wanted to thank you for bringing her to my attention. I've already purchased and have finished Book #1, Death by Cashmere, and am currently reading Book #2, Patterns in the Sand. I've also purchased #3-#5, and plan to pick up the rest as I read my way through the list. Sally is a great writer, and I'm really enjoying the similarities between fictional "Sea Harbor, MA," and Rockport, MA, a place where I've spent many enjoyable vacations!! As she describes "Sea Harbor," I can easily picture Rockport in my mind!

For any of you who enjoy books written by Lee Child, and David Baldacci - two of my personal favorites - these "Seaside Knitters" Mysteries are great "light" mysteries to read in between the heavier, "gotta read just one more chapter" novels, and each one has a free knitting pattern, and plenty of tasty dishes to replicate at home! There are plenty of twists and turns--I never did guess who the culprit was in the first book--and at half-way through the second, I still haven't a "clue" whodunnit this time, either! (Sorry...I just had to say that!)

If your local library doesn't have these books, try an Intra-Library Loan, which should check other libraries within your state, and usually will send the book to your local one, for you to pick up, read, and return there. Better yet, go to Amazon and buy them there! If you enjoy reading mysteries AND you love to knit, you won't be sorry you found this series!!

impatient knitter said:
Whoever you are, you posted about an author, Sally Goldenbaum, who was a friend of yours (?) and has written a series of books set in a New England coastal town similar to Rockport, Massachusetts. I hope you see this post, because I wanted to thank you for bringing her to my attention. I've already p urchased and have finished Book #1, Death by Cashmere, and am currently reading Book #2, Patterns in the Sand. I've also purchased #3-#5, and plan to pick up the rest as I read my way through the list. Sally is a great writer, and I'm really enjoying the similarities between fictional "Sea Harbor, MA," and Rockport, MA, a place where I've spent many enjoyable vacations!! As she describes "Sea Harbor," I can easily picture Rockport in my mind!

For any of you who enjoy books written by Lee Child, and David Baldacci - two of my personal favorites - these "Seaside Knitters" Mysteries are great "light" mysteries to read in between the heavier, "gotta read just one more chapter" novels, and each one has a free knitting pattern, and plenty of tasty dishes to replicate at home! There are plenty of twists and turns, and so far, I never did guess who the culprit was in the first book, and at half-way through the second, I still haven't a "clue" whodunnit this time, either! (Sorry...I just had to say that!)

If your local library doesn't have these books, try an Intra-Library Loan, which should check other libraries within your state, and usually will send the book to your local one, for you to pick up, read, and return there. Better yet, go to Amazon and buy them there! If you enjoy reading mysteries AND you love to knit, you won't be sorry you found this series!!
I agree but it is inter-library loan.

Thanks for posting. I'm always ready to try a new(to me) author. I'm reading a Mrs Malory mystery now. A series by Hazel Holt. British cozy I guess you would call it. You feel like you know the village and her friends. I also like Jeanne Dams another set in England mystery series.

I saw that post also and of course had to go look them up at my library, I just started A Wedding Shawl last night (and promptly fell asleep so I didn't get very far)
They are good stories with a good mystery plot. I plan to read the whole series.

impatient knitter said:
Thank you for that. It was told to me as inTRA, but I'm glad you correct me. Now, I'll correct my library!
Ter is between entities while tra is within one. I suppose the easiest way to think of it is the difference between intrastate and interstate.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am always looking for new titles. I went to my library's web-site and found that they do have the series as e-books. Had to place a hold on the first in the series but I am 1 of 1 on the list, so the wait shouldn't be too long!! I'm looking forward to a good read while "floating" in the pool!!!!

Joanne1234 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I am always looking for new titles. I went to my library's web-site and found that they do have the series as e-books. Had to place a hold on the first in the series but I am 1 of 1 on the list, so the wait shouldn't be too long!! I'm looking forward to a good read while "floating" in the pool!!!!
It's a good idea to read these series books in order.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Joanne1234 said:
You're going to love them! I have this "thing" where I MUST read series books in the order they were written. I made the mistake of reading the "current" book in a series, and really liked it, but when I went back to read book #1, I found out that the main character had just gotten a puppy. Too bad that I had to learn, first, that the dog died in the first book I'd read. Kind of spoiled the rest of the series, reading about how much the character loved the dog, grew very attached to it, several of the books included the dog, etc., all the while knowing that the dog would die five books later, then four, then three, etc. Made my "rule" then, only to read series books in order!

impatient knitter said:
You're going to love them! I have this "thing" where I MUST read series books in the order they were written. I made the mistake of reading the "current" book in a series, and really liked it, but when I went back to read book #1, I found out that the main character had just gotten a puppy. Too bad that I had to learn, first, that the dog died in the first book I'd read. Kind of spoiled the rest of the series, reading about how much the character loved the dog, grew very attached to it, several of the books included the dog, etc., all the while knowing that the dog would die five books later, then four, then three, etc. Made my "rule" then, only to read series books in order!
A wonderful site that lists fiction authors with their series in order is www.fantasticfiction.co.uk I use it frequently. Our lifeguard, an avid reader, told me about it.

mjs said:
It's a good idea to read these series books in order.
The first thing I do when an author or books are recommended to me is go and see if the author has a web site. There is always a list of the order of the books.
I hate it when I accidentally read them out of order! :)

Joanne1234 said:
They're available as Kindle books on Amazon, USA. Wonder why you can't get them as e-books in the UK? Our library has an extensive e-book catalog and I am fortunate that they are available there.
The queen bees quilt mysteries are available but not the knitting ones. The kindle versions of the quilt ones are quite expensive too!

I just downloaded her first two books from Barns and Nobel and will start reading them soon. Thanks for recommending these...I'm always looking for new authors.

Neeterbug said:
I just downloaded her first two books from Barns and Nobel and will start reading them soon. Thanks for recommending these...I'm always looking for new authors.
I very much enjoy the small town atmosphere, especially of New England.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom