Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do understand the directions and know how to do them, but this is the 2nd lace shawl I have tried to knit and neither one went smoothly. This last shawl I finished row 40, but that's with a lot of frogging. Most recently I was knitting the Summer Flies Again Shawl. I am also very sick of the pattern and now the yarn. I have some very pretty turquoise yarn that gets 6 stitches to the inch. Does anyone know of a simple shawl pattern that is a full shawl and not a Shawlette? Now you know why my name never pops up in MAIN to help others with there knitting.

So there will not be a finished picture of my Summer Flies Again Lace Shawl. I feel a little better.

Anne

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm in the same boat right now. My first shawl ever is a mystery KAL. This afternoon I noticed that my count is off, so I have to do some major tinking. Afraid to frog. But did I use a lifeline? Me? Noooooooo. All this week's KAL work for nothing.
A good thing that I fell in love with the afternoon tea shawl from knitty and finished that shawl almost without major problems.
I feel for you, really!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
marianna54 said:
I'm in the same boat right now. My first shawl ever is a mystery KAL. This afternoon I noticed that my count is off, so I have to do some major tinking. Afraid to frog. But did I use a lifeline? Me? Noooooooo. All this week's KAL work for nothing.
A good thing that I fell in love with the afternoon tea shawl from knitty and finished that shawl almost without major problems.
I feel for you, really!
Thanks, Marianna. I will look up that shawl. Sorry about your shawl, too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
don't give up,
I find a pen and paper right next to my knitting is a life saver for those moment when the phone rings or someone speaks to you an important moment in the pattern.

·
Registered
38,218 Posts
I have never and will never knit a shawl Shawls are not my thing. I think anyone who makes one is extremely clever and dedicated.

Now you know why I have so many scarves! I recently bought a shawl pattern (intermediate) and some very expensive wool I took one look at the pattern, a 47 row repeat and laughed. NEVER!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cakes said:
I have never and will never knit a shawl Shawls are not my thing. I think anyone who makes one is extremely clever and dedicated.

Now you know why I have so many scarves! I recently bought a shawl pattern (intermediate) and some very expensive wool I took one look at the pattern, a 47 row repeat and laughed. NEVER!
I may be the same way. I just would like to knit one shawl for me before I quit.

·
Registered
38,218 Posts
jadancey said:
Use lifelines, stitch markers and never ever knit lace anything when tired or distracted. Trust me, I know.
I dont need a chalenge I like mindless patterns.......doing the old shale ATM do it with my eyes closed if need be.LOL

·
Registered
14,696 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maryannee said:
So sorry you got frustrated with the Summerflies Again shawl. I use a row counter and count each row of stitches until I am familiar with the patterns. Y/o's can be tricky.
I think my mind wanders even though it is quiet in the room. I have the stitch counter and it has helped a lot.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
jadancey said:
Use lifelines, stitch markers and never ever knit lace anything when tired or distracted. Trust me, I know.
Yes, when working on lace you have to use every trick you have ever heard of all at the same time, and never skip a count because you THINK it's right.

Then when you want the mindless thing, you switch to another of your WIPs and work for a while.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Peggy Beryl said:
Yes, when working on lace you have to use every trick you have ever heard of all at the same time, and never skip a count because you THINK it's right.

Then when you want the mindless thing, you switch to another of your WIPs and work for a while.
Thank you, Peggy. I know my mind has to be wandering for me to make so many mistakes. I have knitted many different types of things and I know what to do.

·
Registered
65,323 Posts
Anne there is no such word as can't when you knit,i suggest you go through shawl patterns in RAVELRY,you will find a lot of very nice shawls that are easy but pretty,practice with a simple one first,then as you get more confident pick a slightly harder one. :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom