Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally completed a wingspan shawlette. I used a bit less than 3 skeins of Diva Sequin in the colorway named Istanbul and size 10 needles. I think it turned out rather well. But, I wondered how much work it really was. So, I did some calculations on a spreadsheet. If I had know beforehand that it would be this many stitches, I would have thought twice about starting. Below is a picture of the shawlette before blocking.

The initial cast on was 90 stitches. Doesn't sound too awful. After I did 6 triangles, I started wondering how many stitches per triangle. Since each two rows of each triangle has 3 fewer stitches, the number of stitches in a triangle is 2*90 + 2*87 + 2*84 + etc. Surprise-this totals 2700 stitches per triangle. .

An 8 triangle shawlette creates 8*2700=21,600 Stitches. Then add on the border - 90 stitches for the 8th triangle + 7*(16) = 202 Stitches. Do that 5 times, 4 rows + bind off= 1,010 stitches.

Each person who has done this shawlette knitted at least 22,610 = twenty two thousand six hundred and ten stitches.

But, every stitch was a revelation as the fabric and color blocks developed. I enjoyed every one of those stitches. And, I would do it again, if I didn't already have at least 10 other projects planned.

Attachments

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I did post it under pictures. But I put it here because of my calculations on the number of stitches. Now I know why my shoulder hurts. It is because I knitted so many more than the 22,610 stitches by the time I un-knitted and re-knitted all of my errors. I still have to correct some glaring deficiencies. But, overall I am satisfied.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
john71105 said:
mkilcoyne said:
Beautiful! I'm currently trying my hand at this pattern. Hope mine turns out as well! :thumbup:
I bet it will be beautiful and you will be pleased. Mine went faster when I changed to continental style.
Thanks for your vote of confidence! I'll be taking the slow boat on mine...do not know how to knit continental. And don't think my hands would cooperate if I tried! :lol:

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mkilcoyne said:
john71105 said:
mkilcoyne said:
Beautiful! I'm currently trying my hand at this pattern. Hope mine turns out as well! :thumbup:
I bet it will be beautiful and you will be pleased. Mine went faster when I changed to continental style.
Thanks for your vote of confidence! I'll be taking the slow boat on mine...do not know how to knit continental. And don't think my hands would cooperate if I tried! :lol:
You only have to knit, not purl. So you only have to learn one continental stitch. And when you load the yarn on your hand, you kind of scoop the stitch with your needle. After a little practice, you can find yourself doing several continental knit stitches in place of just one stitch by throwing. But, I still found myself throwing stitches if I needed to slow down to fix an error. If you really want to learn about continental, there are several good videos showing you how to place the thread on your hand and how to make the knit stitch.

Now I want to learn to knit backward so I can do short rows without turning the work.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cakes said:
now you have scared me! will I or wont I?

I had no idea it would be that much trouble.......... I bet mine is a failure. groan.
Please don't let my comments stop you from making anything. It is only knit. Just think about one triangle at a time. I bet you enjoy watching the thread create one-of-a-kind patterns so much that nothing can stop you.

If I hadn't kept dropping my stitch markers on the floor. the project would have gone faster.

· Registered
772 Posts
Beautiful! I have that one on my to do list, but now it sounds like too much work! LOL!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom