Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished the 1898 hat for my husband using dpn's ...getting used to dpn. Love how it turned out.

My question is, I am going to start a pair of socks. 1st pair....I know there is someone on here that specializes inthis...but can not remember who. Can someone recommend tutorial for me. Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
MY suggestion is the book "Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd. It has all the info you need for top down/toe up, pictures with step by step directions, lots of patterns, how to use different needles & more. Worth every penny. I bought it on Amazon.
The first sock I did was on worsted weight yarn & I think sz 3/4 needles. You do this so you can see your sts better & how the sock is constructed. The sock will fit a toddler should you choose to do the 2nd one.
I also took a class at my LYS. It was also very helpful. Lots of hands on!

·
Registered
54,257 Posts
cindye6556 said:
http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-252251-1.html

A listing of workshops here on forum. There is one for socks
And I believe that the one by 5mmdpns is on dpns. This was a very early workshop.
If you want to try a different way I have taught socks on magic loop and 2 at a time on 2 circulars both through the workshops- same link as here or under any of my posts. I am still around (clearly!) if you get stuck on mine but the other lady is no longer here. But I can do sicks on dpns if you are really stuck. But generally no-one needs help as so many questions have been asked and answered while the workshop in active.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
klrober said:
MY suggestion is the book "Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd. It has all the info you need for top down/toe up, pictures with step by step directions, lots of patterns, how to use different needles & more. Worth every penny. I bought it on Amazon.
The first sock I did was on worsted weight yarn & I think sz 3/4 needles. You do this so you can see your sts better & how the sock is constructed. The sock will fit a toddler should you choose to do the 2nd one.
I also took a class at my LYS. It was also very helpful. Lots of hands on!
Best book ever! I started with that and have knit more than 50 pairs of socks....which all fit wonderfully! Sock yarn and size 1and 1.5 dpn's are all I need!

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I have just started to knit socks again. Did more then 100 pairs in the past. I can't find the pattern I used before. It was just a plain stockinette pattern since most of the yarn I have is striped. I am just using a size 2 dps and 60 st. It seems strange to use such small needles again. I first tried 1 1/2 needles and didn't like the way they felt and am starting over with the 2s. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoying doing them.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I wanted the easiest pattern to follow when I started. I used sock-it-to-me pattern. It is cuff down and I am glad I started with that pattern, using two circulars or magic loop scares me and I doubt I would have 13 pairs of socks if I had tried to use those methods. Others love them. Maybe someday I will try those methods but not for now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom