Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Required:
2 2x2 pieces of wood. (we used scrap. Of course, our scrap had been an oak shelf. Pine 2 x 2 run around $1.27 for a 7')
1 6" lazy suzan mechanism ($3.99 at Rocklers)
1 1/2 dowl cut into four piece.
1 piece of left over ply-wood
9 wood screws (we used deck screws since we had them.)

Power tools we used:
Square hole drill (but a jig saw would work)
A planer (but you can hand sand)
A drill press
A miter saw (or a circular saw)
A screwgun/drill

I have no intention of staining or painting. I think the look of natural wood is a thing of beauty.

Since you can see what I did, I don't think much direction will be needed. The things that are out of alignment (peg holes) are definitely me. Since it's a tool. I just wanted it to work. My knitting is neat- my tools are just tools. )

Positives:
It works!
It was cheap!
I got to play with power tools!

Negatives:
You will need room to store, or be prepared to unscrew five screws to disassemble the cross.

Attachments

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I love it!!!! You did a great job. This is a style similar to an AMISH style swift..... the type I own.

Another benefit is that it is simple to set up and use. I avoided buying a traditional umbrella type swift because of the amount of space THAT would take up, the cost AND the difficulties of adjusting those things.

You did a great job on yours and how wonderful to share your "pattern" for making one. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
This is great!! I love the simplicity of it and I like finding things I can make myself instead of having to ask my husband (of course he will do it for me, I just like being able to.) I just can't do the creative part. Thank you for sharing this idea! Aren't power tools great!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AmyKnits said:
I love it!!!! You did a great job. This is a style similar to an AMISH style swift..... the type I own.

Another benefit is that it is simple to set up and use. I avoided buying a traditional umbrella type swift because of the amount of space THAT would take up, the cost AND the difficulties of adjusting those things.

You did a great job on yours and how wonderful to share your "pattern" for making one. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank you, Amy. Coming from you makes it even more special.

BTW: Fritz has been mulling over the size of this- and wants it to be more compact. He is thinking of a way to make it easier to store. Some sort of hinge system. I'll post it after he fabricates. His will, of course, be perfectly aligned. :wink:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nittin Pearl said:
This is great!! I love the simplicity of it and I like finding things I can make myself instead of having to ask my husband (of course he will do it for me, I just like being able to.) I just can't do the creative part. Thank you for sharing this idea! Aren't power tools great!
Power tools are the bomb! Truth be told, Fritz did the ripping (sawing boards on a table saw) and the notching (square hole drill). I could have done that, but he says his table saw has an attitude- and he doesn't want it spitting things at me.

·
Registered
20,983 Posts
What about making a hanger for the wall and just slipping the base into the hanger.
I think I can do this.
Thanks fo
r sharing
PiggiesMom said:
Thank you, Amy. Coming from you makes it even more special.

BTW: Fritz has been mulling over the size of this- and wants it to be more compact. He is thinking of a way to make it easier to store. Some sort of hinge system. I'll post it after he fabricates. His will, of course, be perfectly aligned. :wink:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Love it, I am going to show it to my DH ,I am sure he will have a go at making it for me as he is the one that holds the yarn in his hands and he winges about his arms aching while I wind. Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic idea.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CheriF said:
My DH could never do this but my BIL could. I sent him the pattern and he will be looking for a lazy susan. I am SOooooo excited. Thank you for sharing!

Cheri
Cheri, the mechanism is a lazy susan ball bearing. I got mine at Rocklers, but you can find them at Menards as well. Probably any good hardware store for that matter.

Fritz is unhappy with my design. It's too big. He is creating a a smaller, more transportable swift for me. I'll post it when he gets it done.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom