Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this kit from Goodwill for next to nothing. It had 5 skeins of 2 ply acrylic yarn in it. 10 ounces in all. The fringe took about 3 1/2 ounces by itself. I can understand why the pattern used fringe to add to the length of the shawl, but I am not a big fan of fringe.

Is there another edging I can use to finish the next one? I am not a great with crocheting but can manage if you don't have to be a rocket scientist to do it. The fringe is 7 inches long.

The directions say to wash in machine and dry in dryer. I think that would really tangle the fringe.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
I'm not a fringe fan either. Is there a way for you to extend the stitch pattern for some more inches?
Or you could look for for a mesh/lace edging to crochet along the edge where the fringe would have been.... would give it the "airiness" and movement of the fringe...
I'm sure others will have many ideas....

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,439 Posts

·
Registered
20,406 Posts
Fringe can look nice for almost a minute IMO so I'd want to do it differently too. I'd spend way too much time at the link JJ posted trying to find an edging I want. I would continue increasing and making it bigger and think I would add another band across the bottom of the mesh to match the one above it. Chances are I'd call it finished at that point unless I still had more yarn and then I might go ahead with a narrower band of mesh and another band like before. I like all those lovely edgings but in fact they aren't really my thing. I guess I assumed a top down construction and if it isn't I'd probably try to do it that way so I could make up the bottom edge when I came to it. That's the way I tend to do things and I know it doesn't work for most people.

·
Super Moderator
87,439 Posts

·
Super Moderator
87,439 Posts
Adelheide said:
Here's some that look fairly easy.
http://www.dailycrochet.com/free-pattern-20-beautiful-crochet-edging-patterns/3/
Did you notice that all the photos are marked - in very faint text - "This image courtesy of ravelry.com", and the links lead back to Ravelry, not to any other online source.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
Ah! I hadn't seen the photos before; I guess they hadn't been posted yet.
Whatever edging you use, it needs to be heavy to pull the loops open.
This one looks about right: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lacy-border-for-triangle-shawl; you'd start that pattern with row 6, since your shawl already has plenty of loops.
I can't get the link to work. Does it have a name so I can find it on Ravelry?

·
Super Moderator
87,439 Posts
knit4ES said:
Take the semicolon";" off http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lacy-border-for-triangle-shawl
Interesting. I know we can now, since the software upgrade, place a period after a link and it still works. Who knew that a semicolon would 'break' it?! Thanks for fixing it.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
maybe if you just leave the mesh off and let that 'brick' style border be the edge. I don't see the top edge of the shawl - does it have that 'brick' style border, too? - I not, maybe adding that to the top would give you a different style to your shawl. It is a pretty open work stitch that looks delicate and substantial all at the same time.

·
Premium Member
18,858 Posts
Picot stitch can be either crochet or knit and makes a little pointed edge to projects.
Crochet one is very easy to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom