Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Ply doesn't tell the "weight" of yarn, ply merely refers to the number of strands in a particular yarn.

If you are talking about using a worsted weight in place of baby yarn...not likely. a light fingering yarn is about 1/4 to 1/3 the weight of worsted. You'd have to go down to such a small size hook it would be nearly impossible to work large yarn with that small of a hook. Not to mention the item would be so dense and stiff, well it just wouldn't work very well.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Yarns are rated by number, starting at 1 which is laceweight, 2 is fingering or sock weight 3 is DK (aka "light" worsted) 4 is Worsted. This numbering does NOT indicate ply, since some sock yarns are several plies.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
I crochet and hand knit and don't see why you can't convert the yarns while adjusting hook sizes in these crocheted doll patterns.

I'd make a swatch in WW, check the gauge and compare it to the existing gauge given on the yarn/pattern label then adjust your hook size as needed.

I'd also be tempted to use a soft yarn such as Caron's Simply Soft versus WW acrylic when choosing not to use the called for yarn.

Enjoy!
~~~~~~
songbird76088 said:
I crochet doll clothes. Most patterns call for fine or baby yarn. Is it possible to use regular 4ply yarns with a different size needle and have the same results.?

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Trying to substitute worsted for baby yarn in an item as small as doll clothing will result in using a hook so small it cannot begin to "grab" the working strand. Additionally the item will be so stiff..that expecting a child's fingers to be able to maneuver it is...unrealistic. I'm sure your local craft store has a "discount" section where you can find the proper weight yarn.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
I think you will have to do a conversion to adapt a worsted weight to a pattern calling for fingering weight yarn. It is not just the size of the needle/hook, but the guage of the fabric.

I would think that a worsted weight would be bulky for very small doll items. Of course, if the doll is a large one, then worsted weight might do nicely.

For smaller items, I would think a sport or DK weight would work well. But you will still have to attend to guage and hook size.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Unless your garments are for large dolls, the finished results will be very bulky if knit with worsted weight yarn. I don't think you would be happy with the result.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, obviously not the same results, but a larger version of the same pattern. What may be suitable for a doll in a fine linen or silk threat or in a baby weight yarn may be perfectly wonderful for a teddy bear when worked in sport weight, dk or worsted weight yarn. It would be very difficult to use a heavy yarn to make a miniature garment or accessory for a small doll. The results would likely be rather stiff. You wouldn't make a nightie our of heavy denim, nor would you expect to make a lace shawl out of hemp rope.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom