Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I knitted years ago and have just picked up my needles again. I have a scarf pattern that calls for a w & t. Part of the instructions say when working short rows, to work each wrapped stitch together with its wrap. That just doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone please help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Sure.......check this out:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=wrap+turn+knit&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=306ff18b2f1a3a6b

Enjoy!
~~~~~~~~

knittertwo said:
Hi Everyone. I knitted years ago and have just picked up my needles again. I have a scarf pattern that calls for a w & t. Part of the instructions say when working short rows, to work each wrapped stitch together with its wrap. That just doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone please help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
453 Posts
knittertwo said:
I have just mastered this one. Do a search on youtube. In t he end, watching it, and imitating what I see, is the way I learned this. I am making a potato chip scarf that calls for that pattern. It is unbelievably easy, I promise!

·
Registered
3 Posts
knittertwo said:
What is the purpose of doing a wrap and turn? What desired end does it produce? JL

·
Registered
453 Posts
JoAnn Feger said:
knittertwo said:
What is the purpose of doing a wrap and turn? What desired end does it produce? JL
Do a search here on the forum for Potato Chip Scarf - that uses a wrap and turn (also known as "short rows"). it causes the scarf to drape like Pringles Potato Chips.

Also used to shape heel of socks.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Wrap & turn, or short rows, is also used on shoulder seams that would ordinarily be staggered by a series of small bind offs. The W&T creates a smooth seam in bind off instead of a jagged one, thus easier to sew together (or if you are really into it, graft together).

·
Registered
116 Posts
JoAnn - the w&t or "short row" is similar to making a dart in sewing. You knit to a spot, stop and turn around thereby shortening that row. Normally it is used in a staggered fashion i.e. K8, w&t...K7,w&t, etc. This method can be used to make waist darts or shaping in a sweater that will put a little curve in the back or front of a sweater to keep it from being boxy. It's an easy technique once you have that "aha!" moment and understand it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
to Stitchdesigner:

I teach my students to do this.

I don't 'wrap'. To avoid the 'steps' when working back, I pick up the base of the stitch at the step, and knit it together with the next (lower) one.

If it is in a purl row, I twist the lower stitch and then decrease BY WORKING IN THE BACK OF THOSE 2 stitches, i.e.with right needle pointing to me.

These 2 methods look just like simple decreases.

If grafting/Kitchener stitch frightens you, hold right sides together and do a 3-needle cast off. This means that the shoulder line is firm, especially if it is an extended one on a garment with no armhole shaping

Grosvenor Australia

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Thank you, thank you, Tammy for this link! I had a tank top I did last summer and I didn't know how to do this. It turned out ok but I know that it wasn't quite right. Now I want to make another one and do it right :) Another thing learned on this forum!

·
Registered
776 Posts
JoAnn Feger said:
knittertwo said:
It used a lot in socks to create the toe and heel without leaving holes in your work

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
JoAnn Feger said:
knittertwo said:
the 'turn' part of 'wrap and turn' is to short row and effect the shape of your garment. The 'wrap' part of 'wrap and turn' is to anchor your yarn onto the following st BEFORE you 'turn' so that there is no hole after you turn around and knit the other direction....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom