Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at knitting. I have knitted a hat(very simple one).I have knitted a couple of scarves, just knit and purl.I would love to knit the "Ohio State University Dishcloth". The directions say B5--*K1,p1* for 5 border stiches. ??? If I repeat from the "*" wouldn't that be 6 stitches!!! The dishcloth in other words has a border around it. Example after the 5th row it says B5,K29,B5. You cast on 39. I am sorry I just don't get the "5" border stitches. After I get this done, I am like everyone else and want to do fingerless gloves next and leg warmers. Are they too hard for a beginner. I am ecstatic over this site. Since I have joined I have not got anything done. I have done nothing except read every single entry on this site. How do I bookmark something. Sorry did not mean to go on and on. I am just sooooo excited. Would love to get started on the dishcloth.Thank you so much

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
HI Eileen,
Welcome.
I do believe that the blanket does have a 5 st border. Just go for it as long as it looks about right.

I think you should be able to make the fingerless gloves. You have nothing to loose, but a little time. We are all professionals at ripping out. Goes with the territory and the only way to learn.
Don't be intimidated. This is fun to do and Relaxing??? Well most of the time, haha.

And this site has so many masters of the craft, someone will be here to help.

Good lick,
Linda

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Hi Eileen
I just read the pattern and it makes sense to me. The B *K1.P1* is considered one stitch. Repeat it 5 times for the border. Anything inside asterisks * or parentheses () [] is considered one stitch, in knitting and crocheting. Also, something I just learned myself, if you slip the first stitch on a row the edge looks neater. I just add one stitch to the row and slide it off to the working needle. Have fun knitting! Lois

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have made that very one.. GO BUCKS!
big buckeye fan here.
the B5 just means what ever border stitches you want to use. I used 5 knit stitches.
when it says B5,k30,B5
(if you are using all knit for border) you would knit all the way across.
(if you are using seed stitch) the B5 would be done in seed stitch.
I am not good with words.. does this make sense to you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
God love you for the help. Being new I did not know that if you had a *in front and back that was considered one stitch. That helps alot. Lois do I make a extra stitch at the beginning and slip it????

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a millon for all the help I have received. I can get started on the dishcloth now that I know. When they pick up my granddaughter I will have a date with my needles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I get confused too! The help here is so encouraging, isn't it?
I know it saved me from tears last night when I couldn't understand a pattern!

I hope you post a photo when you get it finished!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Chags,
The hardest thing about the heel is believing in the directions and following them. The heel flap (back of heel)is knit separately then turned with short row stitching with decreases. The side are picked up and slowly decreased to return to original amount of stitches. and are decreased to make the toe, ending with the dreaded kitchner stitch. I will usually go on line and look it up for directions and follow them on site. Go for it! Have fun. They are the warmest and most comfy socks ever. Kaju

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Good Morning Chags,

Here is my hint for socks. On large needles knit a few rows, separate them on 2 needles and then practice the kitchner stitch.on the front needle,,,
K take off, P leave on,
Back needle,,,
P take off, K leave on

Continue with this mantra and you will have the stitch down pat,

Then make the socks.

My problem is "heavy" legs. It took time to get the right size to fit me, all the others became gifts.

I started with the expensive "sock" yarn and now know I can use baby yarns, The self striping sock yarn works up lovely.

Good luck and there will always be someone here to help you.

Linda
[email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello
I am looking for an easy shrug pattern to either knit or crochet. A shrug is a sort of cross between a sweater and a scarf. I found a shrug I like in the December 2010 issue of Crochet World, Pg.52, but it is too complicated. Can't figure out how to join the sides to the body.
Amelia, a "newbie" from California

·
Registered
83 Posts
I haven't knit for 15 years, just started back up again and felt like a beginner. I have not had a problem with the socks. The hardest thing was thinking about all of the double pointed needles. One poster made sense of it when when she said, "just remember, you are still knitting with two needles,,,,,the rest are just holding stitches waiting to be knit...." or something like that
look at this book
"Learn to Knit Socks" from the American School of Needlework, Edie Eckman
Attaching my latest sock with cable cuff

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Currently reside in Tucson, but headed to Columbus tomorrow morning for a birthday visit ... can't believe all the Buckeyes who are posting today! Thanks for the *THE* Ohio State University dishcloth patterns ... I was looking for an easy pattern to knit on the plane ... and, I know my kids will just love them.

For the poster looking for a simple shrug pattern, I suggest you go on Ravelry.com and check out their free pattern called "Shrug This" ... a simple one skein project with no sewing. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I suggest you go on Ravelry.com and check out their free pattern called "Shrug This" ... a simple one skein project with no sewing. Good luck!

**Oops ... this is my first attempt at posting ... thought I could reply directly to the person asking for help, but discovered I couldn't do that, OR delete a double post. Oh, well ... live and learn. ;-D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi guys,
Ha, I'm fairly new here too and just love reading and learning from the posts. I'm a beginner knitter and glad to hear that I'm not the only master in the ripping out department. It really is the best way to learn. Also, I like to start new experimental project in between a project, otherwise I get bored. Does anyone identify with me?
Thanks for the wonderful ideas, advice and pics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom