Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new at crochet and I am making a baby sweater and in the directions it asks 2 SC for the next 5 SC. This is the part I am trying to understand ---> (Next, inc. by 2 SC, Chain 2, and in one stitch 2 SC).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
81,339 Posts
Without seeing the entire pattern, it looks as though it's explaining what to do ... though not very clearly.

'inc. by 2 sc' = make two sc in one stitch

ch 2

'in one stitch 2 sc' = again make two sc in one stitch

At least, that's my take on it.

If you have a link to the pattern, it would help the would-be helpers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
Grandma_luv said:
Hello I am new at crochet and I am making a baby sweater and in the directions it asks 2 SC for the next 5 SC. This is the part I am trying to understand ---> (Next, inc. by 2 SC, Chain 2, and in one stitch 2 SC).
I think it says this: *(1 sc, 1 sc)* repeat * in the next 5 sc.
Increase by 2 sc, chain 2, and (1 sc, 1 sc) in the next sc.

I could be totally wrong, but this is how I am reading it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Try it, see how it looks, then go with your gut. Sometimes there's no understanding a direction by reading it - you just have to go ahead and try it. You see, at least part of the problem here (and with ANY crochet) is that there's no agreed upon, written down some place, way to write crochet patterns. People's brains function differently. All a designer can do is write down what makes sense to him/her. But, your brain may not work the same way as the designer's, so it might not make sense to you. This problem points to one of the advantages of joining a Guild, or at least a small group of crocheters. I've been crocheting many years, but still find I sometimes need help interpreting a pattern. Don't let it make you feel inadequate, just ask, as you've done here. Next time, I'll be asking you!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
Well said. I knit and crochet with the prayer shawl group at my church. We are always discussing patterns. The group ranges from beginners to those who have knitted or crocheted for decades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,145 Posts
Grandma_luv said:
Hello I am new at crochet and I am making a baby sweater and in the directions it asks 2 SC for the next 5 SC. This is the part I am trying to understand ---> (Next, inc. by 2 SC, Chain 2, and in one stitch 2 SC).
I think it wants you to work 2 sc, ch 2 and 2 sc in the same stitch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I have, Thank you all for helping me I just love this page.

Sweater
It is easy to make the sweater too, which is designed ideally for fitting a newborn baby up to 6 months. The same type of yarn and hook are used.
1 Chain 45, and turn.
2 SC for the next 5 SC. Next, inc. by 2 SC, Chain 2, and in one stitch 2 SC. For the next 8 stitches SC, inc. by working SC for the next 16 stitches, inc., SC for 8 stitches, inc., and SC to the end.
3-12 Continue working the established pattern, even SC on all, inc. for each loop on Chain 2, until all 10 rows are completed.
13 This is the shaping row: Firstly, hook the Ch 2 loop, crochet to Ch 2 loop, skip all the stitches till the next Ch 2 loop, and crochet that loop. SC each stitch of the next Ch 2 loop, skip all of the stitches till you reach the Ch 2 loop, SC the loop and then SC for each SC to the end, and turn.
Continue working until the sweater is 6 inches in measurement from the underarm. You can fasten off now.
For the right underarm, pick up and Crochet each SC. Continue working in rounds for the arm until it measure the same distance as from the underarm as the body. Repeat to make the left sleeve. Finish by fastening off.
From the lower right hand, start by pick up the end stitch and crocheting 1 SC each stitch at the front opening, around the collar, back down to the other side of the front of the sweater. The openings in the neck collar are now ready for a ribbon to be run through it, to make the necktie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,925 Posts
Grandma_luv said:
This is what I have, Thank you all for helping me I just love this page.

Sweater
It is easy to make the sweater too, which is designed ideally for fitting a newborn baby up to 6 months. The same type of yarn and hook are used.
1 Chain 45, and turn.
2 SC for the next 5 SC. Next, inc. by 2 SC, Chain 2, and in one stitch 2 SC. For the next 8 stitches SC, inc. by working SC for the next 16 stitches, inc., SC for 8 stitches, inc., and SC to the end.
3-12 Continue working the established pattern, even SC on all, inc. for each loop on Chain 2, until all 10 rows are completed.
13 This is the shaping row: Firstly, hook the Ch 2 loop, crochet to Ch 2 loop, skip all the stitches till the next Ch 2 loop, and crochet that loop. SC each stitch of the next Ch 2 loop, skip all of the stitches till you reach the Ch 2 loop, SC the loop and then SC for each SC to the end, and turn.
Continue working until the sweater is 6 inches in measurement from the underarm. You can fasten off now.
For the right underarm, pick up and Crochet each SC. Continue working in rounds for the arm until it measure the same distance as from the underarm as the body. Repeat to make the left sleeve. Finish by fastening off.
From the lower right hand, start by pick up the end stitch and crocheting 1 SC each stitch at the front opening, around the collar, back down to the other side of the front of the sweater. The openings in the neck collar are now ready for a ribbon to be run through it, to make the necktie.
Now that you have included the pattern this is how I decipher it.

The 2 at the beginning is actually your row number. Single crochet in 5 stitches. In the next stitch work 2 single crochet, chain 2, 2 single crochet. Then single crochet in the next 8 stitches. Work the increase (2 sc, ch2, 2 sc) in the next stitch. Single crochet in the next 16 stitches. Work the increase (2 sc, ch2, 2 sc) in the next stitch. Single crochet in the next 8 stitches. Increase in the next stitch (2sc, ch2, 2sc). Single crochet to the end (which would be 4 stitches).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Grandmaknitstoo I am going to try it tonight see how it looks. I don't have a picture and that is what I had it comes with some booties and the pattern is the same as the sweater but I am going to try on my down time. thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,138 Posts
Grandma_luv said:
This is what I have, Thank you all for helping me I just love this page.

Sweater
It is easy to make the sweater too, which is designed ideally for fitting a newborn baby up to 6 months. The same type of yarn and hook are used.
1 Chain 45, and turn.
2 SC for the next 5 SC. Next, inc. by 2 SC, Chain 2, and in one stitch 2 SC. For the next 8 stitches SC, inc. by working SC for the next 16 stitches, inc., SC for 8 stitches, inc., and SC to the end.
3-12 Continue working the established pattern, even SC on all, inc. for each loop on Chain 2, until all 10 rows are completed.
13 This is the shaping row: Firstly, hook the Ch 2 loop, crochet to Ch 2 loop, skip all the stitches till the next Ch 2 loop, and crochet that loop. SC each stitch of the next Ch 2 loop, skip all of the stitches till you reach the Ch 2 loop, SC the loop and then SC for each SC to the end, and turn.
Continue working until the sweater is 6 inches in measurement from the underarm. You can fasten off now.
For the right underarm, pick up and Crochet each SC. Continue working in rounds for the arm until it measure the same distance as from the underarm as the body. Repeat to make the left sleeve. Finish by fastening off.
From the lower right hand, start by pick up the end stitch and crocheting 1 SC each stitch at the front opening, around the collar, back down to the other side of the front of the sweater. The openings in the neck collar are now ready for a ribbon to be run through it, to make the necktie.
Yes,the Ist 2 is a row #I agree. Now, that I see the pattern. Row 2- Sc in next 5 stitches, iincrease by doing 2sc ch2, 2sc in the next stitch.Sc in each of the next 8 sts, increase by (2sc, ch2, 2sc). Sc in next 16 sts, Increase (2sc, ch2, sc) in next stitch. Sc in next 8sts, increase (2sc, ch2, 2sc) in the next stitch.Single crochet in each stitch to end of row.
Row3-12 - Sc across row, increasing in each ch 2 space by making (2sc, Ch2, 2sc). repeat 10 times
Row 13 I'm not sure about. You are skipping spaces to join the ch spaces to form the sleeve. Do you have a picture of the finished sweater?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,138 Posts
Grandma_luv said:
Thank you Grandmaknitstoo I am going to try it tonight see how it looks. I don't have a picture and that is what I had it comes with some booties and the pattern is the same as the sweater but I am going to try on my down time. thank you
You are welcome. Pm me if you need help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,138 Posts
I finished through row 12, can't post a pick right now. But The 13th row should read: Sc across to first ch2 space *sc in space sc in the same space again while going through the next ch 2 space at the same time.( You are sc them together, having skipped the stitches between the two ch 2 spaces.) sc in second ch 2 space*. Sc across to next ch 2 repeat from * to * for the other sleeve. Sc to end. Sc crochet the bottom rows until you have 6 inches from underarm . Do the same for each sleeve. Sc around for 6 inches. Add a trim row to the edge. Starting at right front corner sc 3 in corner and 1 in each row end around. . Note sc 3 in each corner as you come to them. Fasten Off. Weave in ends. Also, use a Ch 1 turning chain throughout. (including the 1st row. So ch 45 plus 1 for turning.)I hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,138 Posts
Here are 2 more pics. The finished 6 inches on the body and the sleeve marker I placed at the end of round 2 to mark the row. This is the place you would normally join. You can eliminate that seam by using a marker and moving it up each row. You remove marker sc in space and replace the marker and continue around for 6 inches,total. Also, the pattern has a flaw from the beginning chain. I thought about this and remembered that the count would still be off even after adding 1 for a turning chain. So start with 47 instead of 45 chains.That will give you 5sc, increase, 8 sc, increse, 16sc, increase, 8sc, increase and 5 sc. Otherwise' you would end with 4 sc and one side would be off.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom