Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to add pockets to a sweater I knitted. I placed them and pinned them to see if they were straight(they seemed to be). So I sewed one on and it looked terrible. So, I proceeded to take it off and I must have cut some of the sweater because there was a hole in the sweater!(duh!). I've tried using a darning needle and knitting a flap(HaHa) neither worked. Could I steek the area? Any suggestions?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
How about taking a tapestry needle and reworking those stitches you can and for the rest try duplicate stitch. Kinf of like reweaving. If this area will be covered by the pocket ; it won't matter as much as long as it doesn't unravel!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
let it unravel to a flat line. pick you the stitches and knit to fit in the hole and then stitch into place.

or another option is to make different colour patterns and sew into place making sure you loop in the loose stitches and turn it into a patchwork sweater.

I hope that may be someone else will have a better idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
You can steek it ... just sew or hand sew the knitted fabric where it is solid and not pulled out. Join additional yarn if needed or use what is pulled out and make your steek. Then cut it and replace it with a patch. Since it will be under a pocket you won't see it. If you need more help with this, let me know and I will try to talk you through it step by step. Don't fret, it can be fixed. Just take a deep breath and start fresh tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
Pockets can be pretty frustrating to get them to look and feel just right.

Maybe for the next pocket-making project, one of these videos/tutorials would be helpful --

Elizabeth Zimmerman's Afterthought Pocket: http://www.hookandneedles.com/2009/05/elizabeths-afterthought-pocket/
http://kristenmakes.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/%E2%80%A6an-afterthought-pocket/

A variety of different types of pockets: http://www.knitpicks.com/images/pdf/pockets.pdf

nanoo25 said:
I was trying to add pockets to a sweater I knitted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yarnie.One said:
Pockets can be pretty frustrating to get them to look and feel just right.

Maybe for the next pocket-making project, one of these videos/tutorials would be helpful --

Elizabeth Zimmerman's Afterthought Pocket: http://www.hookandneedles.com/2009/05/elizabeths-afterthought-pocket/
http://kristenmakes.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/%E2%80%A6an-afterthought-pocket/

These are great sites!! Thank You Yarnie One. Nanoo25

A variety of different types of pockets: http://www.knitpicks.com/images/pdf/pockets.pdf

nanoo25 said:
I was trying to add pockets to a sweater I knitted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
nanoo25 said:
Pardon my ignorance but, how is the duplicate stitch done?
Also for some reason when I to pick up the loose yarn it unravels more. See Picture.
Duplicate stitch is worked, usually, over the existing knit stitches with a tapestry needle and different colored yarn - it can be done to mimic fair isle or mosiac knitting or to personalize something like putting a name on a Christmas stocking.
Here are some you tube videos that show how to duplicate stitch:


in this video she[verypinkknits] mentions using it to reinforce weak areas, like for the hole mentioned in this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
martyr said:
nanoo25 said:
Pardon my ignorance but, how is the duplicate stitch done?
Also for some reason when I to pick up the loose yarn it unravels more. See Picture.
Duplicate stitch is worked, usually, over the existing knit stitches with a tapestry needle and different colored yarn - it can be done to mimic fair isle or mosiac knitting or to personalize something like putting a name on a Christmas stocking.
Here are some you tube videos that show how to duplicate stitch:


in this video she[verypinkknits] mentions using it to reinforce weak areas, like for the hole mentioned in this thread.
Thanks Martyr for the great videos!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like to Thank everyone for the great information on how to fix my sweater! You guys are the Best!!!! I now have enough info to fix this puppy once and for all!Thanks again.Nanoo25
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom