Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long-time sometimes knitter who never advanced beyond knitting a doily in hunter orange worsted weight. Don't laugh - my mother was very impressed! I live in Louisiana, so not much need for cold weather clothing down here.

But this afghan/blanket is so, so gorgeous... I might just buy the pattern to admire it and maybe attempt it some day. There was no reference to difficulty on Ravelry, so I'm thinking maybe it's a new pattern. ThUD, I don't know the designer. And if this is the wrong section, I apologize in advance. I don't usually post links

https://www.etsy.com/listing/883783733/diy-knitting-patern-onlyhand-knitted?ref=shop_home_active_1&crt=1

I wonder if there's a crocheted version?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,986 Posts
That's stunning. I might even learn to appreciate bobbles. Usually they look like warts or worse to me but for this they are just the thing. I say go for it! You could make a smaller version for a pillow top perhaps if you don't want to commit to an entire blanket.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sunflower-field-blanket
Imagine this done in multiple colors using intarsia.

I think a similar effect could be achieved with crochet post stitches for cables and popcorn stitches for the flowers. It would take a lot of figuring out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,274 Posts
You can do it. Just take it one row at a time, use lifelines where they make sense and you'll be done before you know it. KP has got your back whenever you feel like you're getting lost. It's a beautiful pattern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,181 Posts
JennieG said:
I'm a long-time sometimes knitter who never advanced beyond knitting a doily in hunter orange worsted weight. Don't laugh - my mother was very impressed! I live in Louisiana, so not much need for cold weather clothing down here.

But this afghan/blanket is so, so gorgeous... I might just buy the pattern to admire it and maybe attempt it some day. There was no reference to difficulty on Ravelry, so I'm thinking maybe it's a new pattern. ThUD, I don't know the designer. And if this is the wrong section, I apologize in advance. I don't usually post links

https://www.etsy.com/listing/883783733/diy-knitting-patern-onlyhand-knitted?ref=shop_home_active_1&crt=1

I wonder if there's a crocheted version?
Oh my goodness that is beautiful. I will just admire it too as there is no way I could make it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,203 Posts
Just as a note - If you decide to buy it, I would buy through the Ravelry site as it will put it in your Library and any updates or errors will be sent to you through Ravelry, whereas once you buy it from the designer on Etsy, you may not have the same service from the web site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
JennieG said:
I'm a long-time sometimes knitter who never advanced beyond knitting a doily in hunter orange worsted weight. Don't laugh - my mother was very impressed! I live in Louisiana, so not much need for cold weather clothing down here.

But this afghan/blanket is so, so gorgeous... I might just buy the pattern to admire it and maybe attempt it some day. There was no reference to difficulty on Ravelry, so I'm thinking maybe it's a new pattern. ThUD, I don't know the designer. And if this is the wrong section, I apologize in advance. I don't usually post links

https://www.etsy.com/listing/883783733/diy-knitting-patern-onlyhand-knitted?ref=shop_home_active_1&crt=1

I wonder if there's a crocheted version?
A sunflower field is like a sky with a thousand suns. Seeing a meadow of giant yellow flowerets can't help but make me smile. Drowning in a sea of yellow is what brings me joy and peace….
Those bright summer blossoms inspired me to knit the rustic country cottage blanket, featuring pretty floral lace motifs on either side and bottom edge, and cable centre pattern.

SKILL LEVEL: Advanced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,793 Posts
jmcret05 said:
Just as a note - If you decide to buy it, I would buy through the Ravelry site as it will put it in your Library and any updates or errors will be sent to you through Ravelry, whereas once you buy it from the designer on Etsy, you may not have the same service from the web site.
:sm24:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
81,245 Posts
GrumpyGramma said:
That's stunning. I might even learn to appreciate bobbles. Usually they look like warts or worse to me but for this they are just the thing. I say go for it! You could make a smaller version for a pillow top perhaps if you don't want to commit to an entire blanket.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sunflower-field-blanket
Imagine this done in multiple colors using intarsia.

I think a similar effect could be achieved with crochet post stitches for cables and popcorn stitches for the flowers. It would take a lot of figuring out.
Thank you for the Ravelry link.
Yes, I can see it in multi-coloured stripes - intarsia or long-loop - busting stash. It goes into my wishlist, for someday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,793 Posts
1. You could spend time just practicing the motifs shown in the pattern until you are up to the level needed to proceed with the whole blanket. This could mean making gobs of dishcloths in these new-to-you stitches that you need to practice or just ripping out the stitches made in your "practice" yarn - using it over and over to learn the techniques introduced in this pattern.
OR
2. If you can take the time you may be able to figure your own pattern. Take, for instance, the "Tree of Life" afghan; it is chock full of various motifs created by stitches that may be made differently - but with the same effect - in knit or crochet. The stitches for this pattern are made by knitting tools but there are also crochet stitches available that form ripples, bobbles, cables, raised stitches and flat areas. Study a crochet dictionaries or encyclopedia . If you really want to do this in crochet you could take your time to figure it out. Just as if you were to knit this project you start with just one motif: i.e., with the ripple that has an arrow look, the leaves on the flowers stem, the flower itself - etc. Figure the individual motifs first and then move on to the whole layout.
It is a beautiful throw - good luck on doing whatever you need to do in order to upgrade your knitting or crochet skills and make this exquisite bedcover.
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom