Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to design an afghan (Princess) and want to have a border that looks like the bottom of a gown (see attached drawing). It doesn't have to be exactly like the drawing, but that was just an idea. I tried a scalloped edge pattern that I found on knittingfool.com, but obviously, I have done it wrong. There doesn't necessarily have to be yo's, since I wasn't planning on a lace effect, but I am open to any suggestions. Thanks so much for any help!

Cathy

Attachments

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
is one of these any good

for your idea? I get it you want the "wave", or... cure-like effect?

Just the endings; the rest are other laces.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
It looks like it would be something like this:

Row 1: knit 5, yo, k2tog, yo, k2tog, knit 5
Row 2 and even rows: purl
Row 3: knit 4, (yo, k2tog) three times, knit 4
Row 4: knit 3, (yo, k2tog) four times, knit 3
Row 6: knit 2, (yo, k2tog) five times, k2
Row 8: *yo, k2tog* two times, k5, repeat *
Row 10: *yo, k2tog)* three times, k4, repeat *
Row 12: *yo, k2 tog)* four times, k3, repeat *
Row 14: *yo, k2 tog)* five times, k2, repeat *

That should give you alternating yarn overs on the rows and solid "V" shapes alternating with lace "V"s every pattern repeat. I just made this up, but I think it would work. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Hm, I find a few...

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,418 Posts
Handy Family, I love your charted borders book! But we need a key, or I do. I can't read Russian (assuming it is Russian and not some other language that uses the Cyrillic alphabet).

Also, does the bottom chart belong with the swatch you added?

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Oh, but of course I will translate the keys - just did not know if these were the right ones, I mean, if someone would need them. ;)
And it's not mine book, just find them on the net.
And it is russian, yes.

The key - from top to bottom:
-> End Stitch - as for ... rib? Well, the smooth ending of a row.

-> knitted stitch

-> purled stitch

-> YO

-> slip one as for a knit stitch, knit one, slip the first (slipped) st through the knitted stitch (a knitted decrease stitch with opposite slope)

-> k2tog

-> decrease 3 in knitted style - i.e. sl 1, k2tog, sl. the slipped stitch through the k2tog

-> k on rw, p on rs

-> m1

-> nothing - there are no stitches there actually

-> cast off these stitches

Rep. from row 1

The bottom pic is actually the first picture - it's just bigger.

·
Registered
171 Posts
One of the easiest pretty edges I know is to cast of twice as many stitches as you need and decrease them by half about 6 or 8 rows in. You get a fluffy edge that is really simple for sleeves or skirt edges.

·
Super Moderator
87,418 Posts
ParkerEliz said:
They're great borders. I would love a symbol legend so I might use them sometime. Thank you for posting!
Read Handy Family's post two above your request.

·
Super Moderator
87,418 Posts
HandyFamily said:
End stitch = edge stitch = selvedge, which is a melding of the words 'self' and 'edge'. The 'f' changes to 'v' the same as it does in wives and knives.
I like the 'smooth ending of a row', and usually acheive it by slipping the first stitch purlwise and knitting the last stitch on every row.

Thank you so much for the key! I don't know if the OP (original poster of the question) will use any of them, but I can think of several applications for a few of them. :-D

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Ooooooo, I love that leaf border ... have to bookmark this page! :thumbup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
HandyFamily said:
Thank you so much for the key! I don't know if the OP (original poster of the question) will use any of them, but I can think of several applications for a few of them. :-D

Thank you!
I haven't made up my mind, but am glad that this will help someone else in the process!! that's what is so great about this site!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Does it have to be a knit edge? A lot of nice curvy edges can be done in crochet onto a knit item, and are quite easy in comparison if you have some crochet skills to bring to the table. Just a thought...
Princelyess said:
I am trying to design an afghan (Princess) and want to have a border that looks like the bottom of a gown (see attached drawing). It doesn't have to be exactly like the drawing, but that was just an idea. I tried a scalloped edge pattern that I found on knittingfool.com, but obviously, I have done it wrong. There doesn't necessarily have to be yo's, since I wasn't planning on a lace effect, but I am open to any suggestions. Thanks so much for any help!

Cathy

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
HandyFamily said:
End stitch = edge stitch = selvedge, which is a melding of the words 'self' and 'edge'. The 'f' changes to 'v' the same as it does in wives and knives.
I like the 'smooth ending of a row', and usually acheive it by slipping the first stitch purlwise and knitting the last stitch on every row.

Thank you!
Thanks so much, Jessica, so nice of you to say that...

Am, it appears that different people use different "tactics" for achieving the very same sort of smooth ending - like, I do the opposite, skip the last st and knit twisted (tbl) the first one - and it is actually the very same thing, just done by different set of movements. I suppose this is the reason in the patterns they say just "end stitch", without specifying how to do it - with the understanding that different knitters would have different approach to it.
When I write my patterns I usually explain how I do it, but also say that every way is equally good if the result is nice...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom