Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My knitting goal for 2011 is to learn how to knit socks. I see so many different ways (with dpn, two at once method, magic loop method). Where would you suggest I start? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
I love knitting socks, they are so comfortable and you make them to your own size. The heel is what seems to intimidate most knitters. I would say make sure you have a reliable pattern. Be aware that you must knit a heel flap then pick up stitches. I never worry if I pick up a couple extra stitches to prevent holes as long as both sides are the same. then follow your decreases per pattern. It creates the triangle you note that is formed between your heel and ankle bone. Once done your home free until the toe. I go on line for a tutorial of the dreaded but not difficult kitchner stitch. It makes it easier to follow the weaving process and gives you confidence. Good luck and happy knitting :) Kaju

·
Registered
106 Posts
Peggy,

I am new to this board and have been pleased with what I have seen on here. First, I should introduce myself..I am Susan from Massachusetts and I have been knitting and crocheting for many moons. My grandmother taught me when I was a young child...and to this day I think of her often when I pick up the needles or hook and the patience she had teaching me as a young girl. Considering all the years I have crocheted and knitted, I never attempted socks, however, on this board a few weeks ago, the topic came up on Knitting Paradise which got me to start my first pair of socks. Someone posted the following link:
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/ which I am presently using to knit my first pair of socks. The tutorial is complete and thorough (with pictures for each step of the way)...just thought I would pass this along, as they are a lot easier than I thought!!
Susan

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
knitting socks is not as hard as it looks. It might be easier to start out knitting socks on two needles so that you become familiar with how socks are constructed. then you can move on to 4 needles. I think 4 or 5 needles are easier to knit socks with, but that's my personal preference. I don't really see the point of knitting 2 socks at a time, it's the same amount of stitches and basically takes the same amount of time and, if you take the time to measure or count rows, both socks will look the same.

·
Registered
776 Posts
peggyw said:
My knitting goal for 2011 is to learn how to knit socks. I see so many different ways (with dpn, two at once method, magic loop method). Where would you suggest I start? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks
try toe up socks good instructions here
http://www.k1p1design1.com/lifestylesocks
the magic cast on is in a link in the pattern. these socks are good because you can try them on as you go so get the right measurements and you don't have to sew up the toes

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love the toe up method on two circulars. I also am very fond of the magic loop method. I insisted when I first started knitting, that I only wanted to learn how to knit socks. I was told " You don't start out with socks. You work your way up to socks." I insisted and finally convinced the person teaching me. After socks, everything else seems pretty simple. By the way....I didn't stop at knitting socks. Silver's sock class that has been recommended in an earlier post is an excellent resource. I still refer to that if I happen to get stuck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also want to knit socks. I started a pair on one circular needle toe up with majic loop and got as far as the heel but when it comes to picking up the wrap stitches I get intimadated - maybe its because of the patterned yarn I am using (Patons Kroy Jacquard). Help!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Are you familiar with "double point needles?" I have found that is the best way for me. I found a sock pattern leaflet in a WalMart store for "dorm" socks, using 4 ply yarn. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. :lol:

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm in the process of knitting my third pair of socks. I knitted the first pair one at a time on 2 circular needles and had problems with them both being exactly the same, but the certainly are wearable and comfortable. The second pair I knitted on two circular needles and I did toe up. I really like this and I could try the socks on as I went while they were still on the needles. Now I'm knitting two socks on one long circular needle, so far so good but at this point it's awkward because it new. I've only been knitting for two years so I'm no pro but but I do like knitting two socks at a time because they end up the same and when your done you have a pair of socks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I too, like the toe up method with 2 circular needles - no seam and no bulkiness at toe. Planet Purl has a class on them and I loved it. I have knitted many slipper socks for the family with dpn's and everyone loves them. This is my first pair of "real" socks and I love this toe up method. I am finnishing a pair for my husband and have yarn ordered for wild colors and strips for my gradndaughters. I think you have to try different ways and see what works for u. Definately do in the round so no seam. Good luck. Happy Knitting.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I've been knitting for nearly 45 years and am a devoted sock knitter. There are so many methods available to knit socks, it can be mind boggling! Two at a time toe up, two at a time cuff down, toe up one at a time, cuff down one at a time, dpn's vs. magic loop...it's enough to confuse world leaders!

I started out by making a very basic tube sock on dpn's. None of that heel business to deal with until I had a good handle on working in the round on dpn's. Next pair..."real" socks with heel's on DPN's! Wow that was easy! I now make all socks on those little tiny 9" circular needles (that everyone else seems to find uncomfortable - but it works for me).

The suggestion that you try 2 needle socks to understand the basic construction of socks is a great idea!

Others have said the seam is not uncomfortable at all and it's a good way to start.

Don't let sock knitting intimidate you, it's really not that hard.

I no longer even use a pattern for socks and I knit socks for my little 5 year old grand daughter. She cracks me up when I give her a new pair..puts them on and "wiggles" her toes. Toe wiggling is a good indication of pleasure...do it often, as you knit socks! :)

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
I vote TOE UP. I am just learning sock knitting.
Using 2 cirs, no seams. Self striping sock yarn.
I us the Tirkish cast on for a great toe and the follow my patter, I have the proper foot lenght, got through the heel OK and am now on th cuff.

Would like to do 2 at a time next pair. BUT love toe up!!

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I just finished my first sock... here is what I did and what I ran into...
first I dropped a stitch... started over because I didn't know what else to do... then I dropped 20 stitches because I pulled the wrong needle... oh horrors...LOL I used size 2 us DPN's...
So I got past all of that and got to the heel... I am a avid reader of this forum so I read a lot and followed the pattern to a tee.... it was not that hard and I'm ready to do my next sock.. I realized with my first sock that I will have mistakes and I will live with them .. then the next pair will have less mistakes... I'm also a quilter and in the quilting world we have a saying that goes something like this "Only God makes things perfect" meaning its ok to have a mistake here or there.... Have fun.. it also was my goal for this year... I'm half way there... I got my pattern off my sock yarn from red heart.. I found it on the web and printed it off... Best of luck... relax and have fun... its the process not the final product....Ronie

·
Registered
77 Posts
I tried socks a couple years ago (joined a sock club)
and was defeated. My new years resolution this year was to
make , understand and conquer socks. So far so good.
I am on my 4th pair. I wanted to use 2 circs (16" length is good) My LYS suggested I start with a RAGGE yarn and do a
thicker sock on 4s. I used a solid color so I could see the stitches better and used lots of markers. I also watched a video
on Youtube/comwatch?v=RybpvcnfrT8.

Just keep on trying. It helps if you have a book with pictures
too. Good luck
Evelyn C oleman

·
Registered
77 Posts
I tried socks a couple years ago (joined a sock club)
and was defeated. My new years resolution this year was to
make , understand and conquer socks. So far so good.
I am on my 4th pair. I wanted to use 2 circs (16" length is good) My LYS suggested I start with a RAGGE yarn and do a
thicker sock on 4s. I used a solid color so I could see the stitches better and used lots of markers. I also watched a video
on Youtube/comwatch?v=RybpvcnfrT8.

Just keep on trying. It helps if you have a book with pictures
too. Good luck
Evelyn C oleman

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I have a the same goal but poss not this year ;-) Need to get to grips with dpn's first!! Thank you for putting the post up, I will also take on others tips.

Thank you Susan for the link to the tutorials, have saved for a later date. :thumbup:

Pam

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom