Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to place an order with ICE yarns, shipping was fast, but the price not so good, yarn and shipping was $48.91 that made each skein $6.11 for 100% acrylic yarn.
I can certainly find acrylic yarn in my area for less.
Disappointed.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Converted to CAD that would have been $7.92. Curious as to what size skeins they are. If it was a little ball of light weight yarn, then yes, I'd agree the price was probably a little steep, but if it was a a big skein (7 oz worsted weight for instance), I'd consider it pretty reasonable. I worry that if I buy yarn outside of Canada that I will get dinged with duty, and if not duty, a brokerage fee .... it's happened before, not yarn .... some other item that I can't remember. But I do remember that the "brokerage" fee that the courier company demanded before releasing our items to us was exorbitant.

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
Why you would order a chunky acrylic from a yarn company that has some of the best prices on good quality high end yarns like bamboo and merino and silk etc I don't understand. If you look at what they offer you see that real savings are in the better quality yarns.
Did you maximize your quantity for the amount of shipping? You keep adding to your 'cart' until you trigger the next weight level of shipping and then delete an item. This greatly reduces the shipping cost per item.
Lovecrafts is a much better source of acrylic yarns.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I decided to place an order with ICE yarns, shipping was fast, but the price not so good, yarn and shipping was $48.91 that made each skein $6.11 for 100% acrylic yarn.
Disappointed.
The price break comes when you buy more than a few lots (their packs) of yarn. I've never ordered less then 5 or 6 different packs. My shipping has to be more than half for me to take advantage. I seldom buy acrylic yarns from them, I save up for the natural fibers they offer, THEN I make out like a bandit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Disappointed.
i ordered quite a few bags of yarn from them a few years ago. ALL the cotton biased and the wool had big pieces of fluff that hadn’t been spun in properly. None of it was usable and I’ll never order from them again. I guess it doesn’t matter if you are making small things but I only make garments so the yarn can’t bias.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I’ve been told by my LYS that yarns will be going up quite a bit over the next few months. The suppliers have given them a heads up. Mainly yarns including natural fibres by CAD 2 or 3 a skein. That’s a substantial percentage. Acrylic yarns are going up less Because they went up last year, though not so much.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
The price break comes when you buy more than a few lots (their packs) of yarn. I've never ordered less then 5 or 6 different packs. My shipping has to be more than half for me to take advantage. I seldom buy acrylic yarns from them, I save up for the natural fibers they offer, THEN I make out like a bandit.
I have enough of their sock yarn to make about 100 pairs of socks. I don't buy the synthetics either; I try not to buy them locally either. I have some of their alpaca and silk blends too, and they're lovely.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I just bought this yarn form Ice yarns: The total cost was $56.91
8 x Baby Alpaca Merino Cream: 2 x $7.99 15.98
6 x Linen Light Grey: $7.99 $15.98 I didn't think that was a bad price for what I got. I have been happy with what I have ordered from them.

·
Registered
15,494 Posts
Still trying to figure out why you would order acrylic yarn from half way around the world. And trying to figure out if cost is a factor, why you completed the transaction. Not criticizing, just wondering. I use acrylic yarn for my charity knits and try to buy it as cheaply and locally as possible. Now a good quality, hand dyed wool sock yarn, I will pay a small fortune for. But that is just me. I’ve been told many times (before 2022) I could buy socks for 79 cents at Walmart. So I guess other people wonder about my choices too.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Still trying to figure out why you would order acrylic yarn from half way around the world. And trying to figure out if cost is a factor, why you completed the transaction. Not criticizing, just wondering. I use acrylic yarn for my charity knits and try to buy it as cheaply and locally as possible. Now a good quality, hand dyed wool sock yarn, I will pay a small fortune for. But that is just me. I’ve been told many times (before 2022) I could buy socks for 79 cents at Walmart. So I guess other people wonder about my choices too.
I once bought some beautiful acrylic yarn from Ice Yarns (it came from Turkey) ....the likes of which I don't think I've ever seen at Michaels, Walmart or even my local yarn store.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
I have decided that online shopping or dating is a no no, and I believe that scammers will eventually kill online shopping and dating. I hope so anyway. I am now going back to shopping local, as you can see what you are purchasing and the store you are purchasing from, plus thieves can't hold you to ransom for your delivery. I recently had the experience of false advertising with Aliexpress. They show a photo of something, with the corresponding descriptiion, but send you a smaller item (in this case they never sent it, twice) that is highlighted under the main photo. Aliexpress have no interest in stopping this behaviour, none whatsoever. So I am out of there. It is the deceit that I find so repulsive, but for some of these sellers it is a way of life.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I would only buy the acrylics if I needed large quantities of a specific color/weight and I'd add it to an order of the more specialized/luxury yarns. I have several tubs of 5 sided granny squares (inherited from my grandmother) to be made into afghans and they'll all need to have edging, then joined, and then a final border/edging put on - that will require SCADS of a single color and they'll all come with the same dye lot so buying large packs makes sense in that situation.

Reactions: Jessica-Jean

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have decided that online shopping or dating is a no no, and I believe that scammers will eventually kill online shopping and dating. I hope so anyway. I am now going back to shopping local, as you can see what you are purchasing and the store you are purchasing from, plus thieves can't hold you to ransom for your delivery. I recently had the experience of false advertising with Aliexpress. They show a photo of something, with the corresponding descriptiion, but send you a smaller item (in this case they never sent it, twice) that is highlighted under the main photo. Aliexpress have no interest in stopping this behaviour, none whatsoever. So I am out of there. It is the deceit that I find so repulsive, but for some of these sellers it is a way of life.
I order from AliExpress all the time If I am unhappy I file a dispute and they immediately send me a refund. Sorry you had this experience, I know during the pandemic there were some supply chain issues, but they refunded my money for anything that did not arrive within the advertised time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top Bottom