Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
20,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make hat and scarves for charity and I was wondering if knitting socks and placing them in gallon size bag with labels for the size and fiber would be an idea for homeless shelters. Anyone else think it may be an idea to try?

Thank you for any input.

Tammy

·
Registered
22,120 Posts
Roses and cats said:
I make hat and scarves for charity and I was wondering if knitting socks and placing them in gallon size bag with labels for the size and fiber would be an idea for homeless shelters. Anyone else think it may be an idea to try?

Thank you for any input.

Tammy
I have been in contact with a local organization that provides meals to the poor and the homeless. They will gladly take all of my hats, scarves, mitts and socks and will put them in the individual hampers that they put together at Christmas for their clients. May I suggest that if you are able include a cheque that could be used for personal care items etc.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Granny41 said:
I have been in contact with a local organization that provides meals to the poor and the homeless. They will gladly take all of my hats, scarves, mitts and socks and will put them the the individual hampers that they put together at Christmas for their clients. May I suggest that if you are able include a cheque that could be used for personal care items etc.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Many homeless people do not have a bank account. Cash or a prepaid card would probably more useful. In addition, I've been told that socks were not always useful because they don't have drying facilities. Hats and scarves require less washing but they are often thrown away when they are beyond wearable.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I give hats, scarves and mittens, but socks take too long to make and are thrown out, not laundered. I buy socks at the dollar tree for the homeless,

·
Premium Member
29,487 Posts
I can knit about six hats in the time of a pair of adult socks so I find I buy the socks as they become throw aways and make more other items. I also buy two sizes of mittens and put them inside one another for extra warmth, I sometimes find them at the Dollar Store.

·
Registered
22,120 Posts
Celt Knitter said:
Many homeless people do not have a bank account. Cash or a prepaid card would probably more useful. In addition, I've been told that socks were not always useful because they don't have drying facilities. Hats and scarves require less washing but they are often thrown away when they are beyond wearable.
I should have been a tad more specific it seems. Of course the cheque should be made payable to the organization. Silly me! I assumed that anyone reading my post would understand that :sm16:

·
Registered
12,545 Posts
jersgran said:
I give hats, scarves and mittens, but socks take too long to make and are thrown out, not laundered. I buy socks at the dollar tree for the homeless,
Financially it makes more sense to buy commercially made socks with what you would spend on even the least expensive sock yarn. You can just buy so many more commercially made socks to help more people.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
I wouldn’t want to discourage your idea, because helping the homeless is a wonderful thing. However, my observation is that in the parks near me, I see many garments (including socks, mittens, scarves, hats) simply discarded in snowbanks, puddles, flower beds. I don’t know the reason. Maybe they’re thrown out if they get wet. I wouldn’t want you to painstakingly hand-knit socks that might not be worn long before being discarded.

Your money and time might be better spent purchasing items.

·
Registered
19,015 Posts
I think your heart is in the right place but, like the others, I think your time could be better spent making other items. I know shelters need socks but it's better to buy them at a dollar store if you have one or some other low cost place. They do have a habit of throwing them away because they can't launder them. I would hate to see you put all that time and $ into making socks only to have them discarded.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I agree. Warm commercial socks are much better. It's true that socks and underwear are in short supply. If you use heavy duty yarn for socks, they will not fit inside shoes. If you use fingering yarn they will take forever and be thrown away when dirty. Mitts, ear warmers, hats, and scarves are much better. They can be made with bulky sale yarn quickly and they can be nice and warm.

redquilter said:
I think your heart is in the right place but, like the others, I think your time could be better spent making other items. I know shelters need socks but it's better to buy them at a dollar store if you have one or some other low cost place. They do have a habit of throwing them away because they can't launder them. I would hate to see you put all that time and $ into making socks only to have them discarded.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
When I worked at 3 different homeless shelters, laundry was not available, nor was money for laundrymats. All articles of clothing became 'trash' once it needed laundering. It's more economical for me to donate directly to the shelter and let them provide what's needed.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
deenashoemaker said:
When I worked at 3 different homeless shelters, laundry was not available, nor was money for laundrymats. All articles of clothing became 'trash' once it needed laundering. It's more economical for me to donate directly to the shelter and let them provide what's needed.
I just find it odd that these homeless shelters don't have some kind of laundry area for these people...even they want to have clean clothes rather than throw away good clothes that are only dirty....

·
Registered
12,545 Posts
klrober said:
I just find it odd that these homeless shelters don't have some kind of laundry area for these people...even they want to have clean clothes rather than throw away good clothes that are only dirty....
Well there is dirty and then there is dirty beyond soap and water.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
klrober said:
It was a struggle to provide food, pay for utilities, chemicals to clean vinyl mattresses (you wouldn't believe the amount of lice). If the State or County put in washers and dryers, they had to be coin operated and homeless can't pay it.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Roses and cats said:

Thank you for any input.

Tammy
Hand knitted socks aren't wanted locally as either they get washed with everything else or get discarded once they decide they have been worn too long rather than wash socks.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I think that's a wonderful idea Tammy. I always made hat & scarves [I don't do socks]. I give it to the Salvation Army, I also send them a check to help feed people in need. Reita

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom