Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dtr who lives in Hawaii is expecting twins in Mar. or Apr. 2014.

I'm so excited. Hope all goes well for her & babies.

I'm wondering whether to knit baby outfits & blankets in cotton since it's warm there.

Any ideas welcome.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
virginia42 said:

I'm wondering whether to knit baby outfits & blankets in cotton since it's warm there.

Any ideas welcome.
I had someone I wanted to knit something for in the same situation. I knitted a baby bear rug. It was a free pattern from Bernat. Laying babies in diaper or nothing is what is recommended in hot weather. This Baby Bear Rug is thick and velvety soft if you use the yarn recommended. Mine was very much welcomed.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
She can probably use some very light blankets, and those little onesy things. Even though it is warm there the evenings and mornings can be cool. Congratulations. I cannot think of anything greater than being a grandmother. It is wonderful experience.
9a

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'd use cotton or bamboo, which is very comfortable in warm & humid climates. Bamboo doesn't "sweat" like cotton does & it's very soft. A nice blanket to lay baby down on to play is always useful. And older kids like to have blankies to snuggle with, even if it's warm out.

I had to make blankets for all of my friend's kids, after they stole the baby's blanket I had made. They wanted to have something to snuggle with when they watched TV.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
As Grandma used to remind me, where the baby came from is warmer than almost anywhere outside (98.6 degrees F) so at least for a while they need to be kept warmer than we do.

·
Registered
55,981 Posts
What fun :p I would also use linen cotton blend or bamboo. Happy knitting x's 2.
There are some cute sandal patterns available as well. I made some for twin girls born in California with teddy bears and pink cotton hats.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Living in S E FLA I understand warmer weather. Remember we live 24/7/365 with the AC on almost all the time. Cotton is heavy in itself, try something like Cotton Ease or go with any acrylic baby yarn and use a larger than called for needle to make it airier/lighter. Our group sells one time a year to raise money to pay for our yarn and shipping for our donations.The most popular items are pretty baby blankets with matching hats and booties. forget the sweaters. Your best bet is either a blanket for the stroller or car seat. Or a play square for the floor. Many people want things in non traditional baby colors such as primary colors.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
virginia42 said:

Any ideas welcome.
If your daughter uses air conditioning the babies could still use knitted cotton items. Especially cotton hats and shoes.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i had both my daughters in Phoenix in the months of July and August. Soft light cotton blankets or other breathable fabrics were used to lay baby in diaper onlyon or cover when the air conditioning was blowing. Onesie were the choice of clothing. If the mom is looking at cloth diapers, maybe some nice light weight wool diaper covers would be perfect for her. What about an adorable felted diaper bag/bags?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Congratulations! Twins -- twice as much to love! So many restaurants and stores blast the air conditioning to the point of cold...so blankies, cardis and hats are still appropriate in hot weather places.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm in San Antonio Texas, not quite as humid as Hawaii, but we get the heat! Lots of headbands with cute deco for girls, semi-lacy blankets to cover over car seat/carrier give protection from sun & bugs, everybody everywhere (no matter climate) still likes those newborn hats for pics--make matching or contrasting ones for twins.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Congratulations, what exciting news!

When my boys were infants I used a hand me down knit blanket that my sister had for my niece, it was really lacey. I didn't know how to knit back then! It was the only one I would use when they were sleeping, because of the lacey pattern I felt safe using it for fear of SIDS. If it got on their face they could still breathe. Today my youngest boy is 5 years old and still carries this PINK blanket around everywhere. So my suggestion would be to knit something color appropriate!! Light and airy too!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would agree that in warm climates there's air conditioning, so lightweight blankets or sweaters are appropriate. I myself purchased a light sweater which I bring to our air conditioned church when we're in Florida.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
HeatherO said:
Congratulations, what exciting news!

When my boys were infants I used a hand me down knit blanket that my sister had for my niece, it was really lacey. I didn't know how to knit back then! It was the only one I would use when they were sleeping, because of the lacey pattern I felt safe using it for fear of SIDS. If it got on their face they could still breathe. Today my youngest boy is 5 years old and still carries this PINK blanket around everywhere. So my suggestion would be to knit something color appropriate!! Light and airy too!
There was an article posted several months ago cautioning AGAINST leaving an unattended baby in loosely woven blankets. A baby got a finger tangled in the blanket and lost the finger due to lose of blood flow to the finger. I would not leave a baby in a lacy blanket. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CaroleJS said:
There was an article posted several months ago cautioning AGAINST leaving an unattended baby in loosely woven blankets. A baby got a finger tangled in the blanket and lost the finger due to lose of blood flow to the finger. I would not leave a baby in a lacy blanket. Better safe than sorry.
I agree. My youngest GS is 2 1/2 & when he was a few months old they noticed his toe was turning blue. Doctor found that a hair had twisted around his toe. Fortunately they found it in time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
virginia...it's so great your daughter lives in HAWAII. I see you live in ohio, tell your D to move back, so GM can knit a proper blankey and suffer w/ the rest of us. I live not so far from you. Sorry no suggestions except for cotton blanket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom