Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Impulsive purchase at clearance price, didn't stop to think what this light weight would be good for. It's beautiful, soft, bleached white and I have 10 balls @118 yds each. Booties? Socks? But who wants white socks?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Bedspread, table cloth, curtains or use some and save some or later. Someday you will find patterns that you will be glad you have it. Add trim of different colors to contrast the white. I think you are lucky to have it. Have alot of fun.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Sounds like that would make an elegant vest for you or hubby. Check the gauge and look for an easy pattern. Or make a shawl or stole, so nice and warm on a cold winter day.

Carol J.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
look up 'knitted blanks' on google....knit your white yarn into a rectangle, dye in multicolor stripes, letting them blur into one another and then unravel the 'blank' and knit whatever you like with the most gorgeous yarn....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did you ever think of mixing the yarns with another yarn and creating a heavier yarn. Say you have a sport weight and add another color of similar sport weight perhaps with multicolor color way with some white in it you will now have either a worsted weight or something close to it watch your gauge. Same thing would apply w/worsted making it a bulky weight if you use 2 different weight yarns you will need to watch your gauge.
I have designed and used this on numerous garments over the years and it works beautifully. Remember you are the boss of your creations.
Good luck,
Jan :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, here's my problem. No matter what I do, my balls and skeins of yarn always get hopelessly twisted. I've tried every method I've read about. I can spend an hour working out a complex web of knots. And the 2 times I tried to double the yarns it was even worse. Everything twisted into a spiral. So I've been afraid to try again. Right now I'm puttiing balls into plastic bags with just the ends coming out.....why are they still spiraling??

I hope I'm not taking advantage of y'all, asking so many questions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought a knitting cylinder of sorts I'm not sure what they call it. I bought mine several yrs. ago @ A.C. Moore, but I know Annies Attic carries them as I believe some other places as well.
Here is how it works, when you knit more then one color each color goes into it's own cylinder, w/hole in the top for yarn to come out, so say you have 2 or 3 it doesn't matter they don't tangle and it's smooth sailing. If you have a problem locating this product get back to me, I'll pull mine out and get you the name. Hang in there help is coming.

Jan

·
Registered
79 Posts
jan072 said:
I bought a knitting cylinder of sorts I'm not sure what they call it. I bought mine several yrs. ago @ A.C. Moore, but I know Annies Attic carries them as I believe some other places as well.
Here is how it works, when you knit more then one color each color goes into it's own cylinder, w/hole in the top for yarn to come out, so say you have 2 or 3 it doesn't matter they don't tangle and it's smooth sailing. If you have a problem locating this product get back to me, I'll pull mine out and get you the name. Hang in there help is coming.

Jan
I was given some yarn in 2 liter soda bottles. The lady had removed the bottom from the bottle, put the skein of yarn into it with the end of yarn through the hole in the top, and Scotch taped the bottom back on. There were eight bottles in a flat used in stores to carry and display the pop. The bottles stand up straight and are easy to untangle yarn.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Jan, what you are describing is a "yarntainer". You can actually make them yourself. Buy and "snap lid" plastic container and drill a hole in the top...be sure to "smooth" the edges of the hole though so that yarn does not get snagged.

To keep the yarn from "spiraling" or twisting you need to use a container only slightly larger than the skein/ball of yarn, so that there isn't room for it to twist around. Center pull skeins work best for this. As the skein starts to get smaller, you can open the lid and stuff some plastic grocery bags below the skein to keep it from twisting around.

I generally don't have problems with this, perhaps the longer you knit you will develop more "stability" with your materials. This seems to be a problem that plagues new knitters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom