Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its me again. Sometimes i wish i can smack people who design patterns. Yes i am ranting!!

Picked up a pattern on ravelry and knitted along happlily until......

pattern is for 6-18 months old with only one cast on figure!!! It tells you to knit until rows eg 101 or until it measure 15 cms from underarm HELLOOOOO my 15 cm under the arm in in the 60 + row and not 101 Surffice to say, that i am knitting this according to the measurements given and not the row counts as stated on the pattern!!! urgh!!!

Measurements cant be the same for age 6 and age 12 months!! And this is coming out big so thats why i need measurements. Its more like nearly 18 month size if you ask me... My colours are grey and navy..

So, mommy, if you have a jumper handy as i dont, could you please measure the sleeve from under the arm to just before the cuff for me please. And under the arm to the end of the jumper is it 15 cm?? And from top to division of sleeves is it 12 cm??

I am so so sorry to bother you but but but.........

and if you really want to know what i am making http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-raglan-jumper 9 people have made this and gave glowing reports until i pick it up "sigh" :sm13: :sm12:

Thank you kind mommy for your time and help with the measurements, i greatly appreciate it. Off to go and get something to drink!!! I hope...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CKnits said:
the thing is - i dont know what size im making???

0-3 months usually cast on 50 sts; sleeve underarm to cuff 5 inches, body 5 inches before ribbing
3-6 months usually cast on 54/56 sts; sleeve underarm to cuff 5.5 inches; body 6 inches before ribbing
6-12 months usually cast on 62 sts; sleeves underarm to cuff 6 inches, body 6 inches before ribbbing...

here im casting on 74 sts; body is 5.5 inches before ribbing; sleeves is +- 3.5 inches before 10 rows of ribbing for 3/4 length To me it for 24 months as the chest measurement given is 56 cm/22 " And if thats the case, then the sleeve should be 8.5 inches from underarm but the sleeve count of 37 sts (i usually have that for my 6 month old patterns) + 7 sts that you have to cast on and not 44 sts that one would normally have for a 24 month. but the pattern is not for 24 month. Everything is mixed up here in the pattern...

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Diane D said:
Its me again. Sometimes i wish i can smack people who design patterns. Yes i am ranting!!

Picked up a pattern on ravelry and knitted along happlily until......

pattern is for 6-18 months old with only one cast on figure!!! It tells you to knit until rows eg 101 or until it measure 15 cms from underarm HELLOOOOO my 15 cm under the arm in in the 60 + row and not 101 Surffice to say, that i am knitting this according to the measurements given and not the row counts as stated on the pattern!!! urgh!!!

Measurements cant be the same for age 6 and age 12 months!! And this is coming out big so thats why i need measurements. Its more like nearly 18 month size if you ask me... My colours are grey and navy..

So, mommy, if you have a jumper handy as i dont, could you please measure the sleeve from under the arm to just before the cuff for me please. And under the arm to the end of the jumper is it 15 cm?? And from top to division of sleeves is it 12 cm??

I am so so sorry to bother you but but but.........

and if you really want to know what i am making http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-raglan-jumper 9 people have made this and gave glowing reports until i pick it up "sigh" :sm13: :sm12:

Thank you kind mommy for your time and help with the measurements, i greatly appreciate it. Off to go and get something to drink!!! I hope...
The pattern states that she knit it for a 56cm chest size - this is typical for a 2 year old. here is a chart http://media.craftyarncouncil.com/logos/babysize.gif. Good grief, it took me less than a minute to find.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
dijewe said:
The pattern states that she knit it for a 56cm chest size - this is typical for a 2 year old. here is a chart http://media.craftyarncouncil.com/logos/babysize.gif. Good grief, it took me less than a minute to find.
Excellent information for those who knit baby clothes. It's amazing the information that's readily available for those who are willing to look! :sm24:

ETA: I see CKnits found it quickly, too!

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dijewe said:
She states its for size 6-18 months but the chest measurement she gives is for 24 months (2 years)

For the 3/4 sleeve she mentions 10 cm well for a normal sleeve for a 2 year old its 22 cm so i would think that it should be 15 cm at least for 3/4

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geewiz good grief thanks for all your help with regards to actual measurements of a child and yes im ranting!! I too can google but thats is an estimate that is given by the yarn council and its not what i was asking for.

The subject wearing the jumper on the patttern is not a 2 year old and she says its small. Well small the pattern ain't.

Sorry for wasting all your time !!!

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dijewe said:
If you look at the chart it clearly states that for a 2 year old the chest is 50.5 cm and not as the pattern says 56 cm - so who is right??

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
Diane D said:
Geewiz good grief thanks for all your help with regards to actual measurements of a child and yes im ranting!! I too can google but thats is an estimate that is given by the yarn council and its not what i was asking for.

The subject wearing the jumper on the patttern is not a 2 year old and she says its small. Well small the pattern ain't.

Sorry for wasting all your time !!!
I've read a lot of your posts. You rely on other KPers for many answers that you should find on your own. You're asking for help all the time so stop lashing out when you need to thank deeply the ones who help and provide you with answers.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ute4kp said:
I've read a lot of your posts. You rely on other KPers for many answers that you should find on your own. You're asking for help all the time so stop lashing out when you need to thank deeply the ones who help and provide you with answers.
Thank you for your comment.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In my experience sizes given for different ages vary from pattern to pattern as do babies!
It looks a very straightforward pattern to me and I don't think discrepancies and stitch count is that essential at this age and there are plenty of other patterns to be guided by for length. The pattern is free after all. I have found mistakes in patterns I have paid quite a lot of money for.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CKnits said:
Thanks if i work on the schematics that you gave me, my total measurement in length is 33 cm(refer to 18 month schematic) only if i work on the centimeters and not the row counts as mentioned in the pattern. So i will then do the sleeves accordingly.

Once again, thank you Cknits..

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Annasuz said:
In my experience sizes given for different ages vary from pattern to pattern as do babies!
It looks a very straightforward pattern to me and I don't think discrepancies and stitch count is that essential at this age and there are plenty of other patterns to be guided by for length. The pattern is free after all. I have found mistakes in patterns I have paid quite a lot of money for.
True i agree to a certain extent.

I have been using this article for sizes etc http://ezinearticles.com/?Newborn-Clothing-Sizes&id=3467198 I dont usually knit for children over 12 months and this is a new one for me. been going thru my other patterns and for most they cast on 76 sts for 2 year olds and 68 sts for 6-12 months...

So it seems i have 2 options then and that is to pull out and knit the body longer until 21 cm (addition of 2 cm) and not go according to the measurements stated in the pattern for the body and and adjust the sleeves accordingly. Or i can just make the ribbing 2 cm longer.

Thank you Annasuz for your comment.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Diane, sorry I can't help you with the information. I downloaded the pattern you mentioned so I could take a look at it and I see what you mean. I had something similar happen to me once with a pattern. Sorry I can't help you, but I did want to mention that the little jumper you're making looks so much nicer than the one shown in the pattern. I really like your colour choices. Regards, Elaine.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
ute4kp said:
Whoa! Why are we getting so angry because someone asks a question or a dozen. Isn't that what we tell new members to do. I don't have a toddler handy to measure, wish I did.

If you look around the internet there are several place that have sizing charts both meteric and inches. However, I have seen where each one varies just slightly so it's really a guessing game to follow them.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
eilenablue said:
Hi Diane, sorry I can't help you with the information. I downloaded the pattern you mentioned so I could take a look at it and I see what you mean. I had something similar happen to me once with a pattern. Sorry I can't help you, but I did want to mention that the little jumper you're making looks so much nicer than the one shown in the pattern. I really like your colour choices. Regards, Elaine.
Thank you Elaine so glad that i am not imagining it or mis-interpreting the written pattern. The colours look nicer in the daylight than when i took the photo last night. I did a search on kp to see if anyone else maybe attempted to make this pattern but to no avail. I will plod along with the aid of those schematics and see what i can come up with. Never a dull moment.

Blessings
Diane

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom