Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned what the ignore list is. Silly. It curtails freedom of speech just as putting a topic in the ATTIC. Unless someone is using vile language & defaming someone personally, no topic should be put in the attic. We are all grownups here and should behave like one.

·
Registered
15,968 Posts
mambrose3 said:
I just learned what the ignore list is. Silly. It curtails freedom of speech just as putting a topic in the ATTIC. Unless someone is using vile language & defaming someone personally, no topic should be put in the attic. We are all grownups here and should behave like one.
Yes, but some dont seem to be able to.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
mambrose3 said:
I agree with you!

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
The ignore list allows some people to post anything they want, without letting others who might have different opinions express those opinions.

I'm opposed to censorship, especially on a forum like this. Allowing members to prevent different points of view is just wrong.

IMHO, any person can believe whatever they want, but that doesn't give them the right to suppress the opinions of others who might think differently.

I think Admin should remove the Ignore feature as it works now. I don't think that is what the original intention was.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have an Ignore list because there were 2 people who jumped me on everything I said and I was tired of it. By ignoring them, it makes this site the fun, creative, helpful place it used to be for me. Now I find out that one of them has not posted anything since the beginning of July.

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
It's silly.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Lynnknits said:
I have an Ignore list because there were 2 people who jumped me on everything I said and I was tired of it. By ignoring them, it makes this site the fun, creative, helpful place it used to be for me. Now I find out that one of them has not posted anything since the beginning of July.
Like you, I also have an Ignore List. It is not quite as lengthy as 'some -who shall -not- be- named' (and I believe you know exactly what I meant), and for similar reasons.

These individuals are trolls pure and simple.

The Attic is a great place for conversation with other grown ups who are not prudes, do not take themselves too seriously, are for the most part educated, well read, and intelligent.
Closed-minded individuals are well advised to stear clear of the Attic or bring an umbrella, because "a whole lotta truth is rainin' down up in there".

I like the Ignore List and The Attic. Anyone who wishes to eschew the Attic, for whatever reason is welcome to do so, and I thank them for it. I view the Ignore List as an extension of the Attic, and a function of sanity. There is always an Olive Branch function for those who have decided to behave like grownups.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Dangrktty said:
Like you, I also have an Ignore List. It is not quite as lengthy as 'some -who shall -not- be- named' (and I believe you know exactly what I meant), and for similar reasons.

These individuals are trolls pure and simple.

The Attic is a great place for conversation with other grown ups who are not prudes, do not take themselves too seriously, are for the most part educated, well read, and intelligent.
Closed-minded individuals are well advised to stear clear of the Attic or bring an umbrella, because "a whole lotta truth is rainin' down up in there".

I like the Ignore List and The Attic. Anyone who wishes to eschew the Attic, for whatever reason is welcome to do so, and I thank them for it. I view the Ignore List as an extension of the Attic, and a function of sanity. There is always an Olive Branch function for those who have decided to behave like grownups.
I agree with a lot of this.

The "ignore list" was added as part of the upgrades in May(?)
It is each members purview to use or not and as he/she wants for whatever reason.
I would bet that Admin added it because they were SICK of the he said/she said rants and complaints...
this give members an option and Admin a ready answer -- "put them on your ignore list"
Reminds me of teaching young children and the tattle-tale yammering... but we on here are supposed to be at least chronologically adults...

I have a few on my list -- for various reasons
Some are consistently nasty ... don't hate them, wish them well and hope they find some way to live in peace and harmony with others....
I am grateful for a way that at least their initiated topics don't show up in my list, and if they are in something else, usually they are notated as "ignored" for me so I get
a warning about whether I want to look at it or not.
I see it not so much as a "free speech" issue (others can say what they want) but as a "free listening" issue.... I've seen/heard enough to know that it's unlikely that there is anything they might say or reference that would be of value to me. I do not feel obligated to waste my time on many "talking heads" on TV.... and I use my remote.
The ignore list is another kind of remote.

I also put and take people off for other reasons... they are posting things (not nasty) that are unending lists or repeats... at least for awhile. I don't like that I see "new topics" has "20" but 15 of those are essentially the same thing.
If someone ignores me, I am glad they have taken care of themselves.... it's their choice and I don't take it personally... (My ego says "oh, well, their loss")
If I ignore someone, it is not meant personally.... how could it be.... I don't actually know any of you.

Finally, and this may get me on some ignore lists, I think it is funny and self-righteous to declare that the Ignore list is evil and anyone who uses it is stupid.

So there :sm09:

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
In my experience those who put me on their Iggy list are spineless. Yours may vary. Especially Joey who is a raving ranting hater of everyone.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I'm on the ignore list of 2 members, both of whom post hate-filled, opinionated and/or biased topics, full of ranting against certain ethnic groups, religions, political views. Then they post nastier comments when others respond with different points of view.

I suppose I should be flattered that they think my opinions are worth ignoring. I'm just glad I don't know either of them IRL. :sm09: :sm09:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I've only used the ignore feature once since it was introduced and that was only because some one was bullying one of our members without mercy so for that reason I was glad it was there.
As for the attic I personally think it's a good idea, there are things posted there that may offend some members if posted in a more shall we say open area.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
peanutpatty said:
What is the ignore list? Haven't heard of it before now. Not that I think it would be necessary, we have a choice whether or not to follow any thread.
It really isn't so much following a thread or not, as it is the ability to block a troll from crashing a conversation with dire threats of damnation and hateful, homophobic, bigoted strawman arguments that are often so completely off-topic, the thread is completely hijacked.

Some here already know what I am talking about, and I won't dredge up specific examples and details for that reason.

This hateful individual creates entire threads in The Attic, with the express purpose of spewing hateful religious diatribes, because the very individuals who call her on her crap are on her Ignore List and can't refute her bogus claims. The limit is 250 for the Ignore List.

FYI... the minute the Ignore List was available, I was on her list. She must have been up all night with her finger on 'Go'.

And yes, I am at the top of the list of individuals who are willing to call her on her hatefulness.

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
Dangrktty said:
It really isn't so much following a thread or not, as it is the ability to block a troll from crashing a conversation with dire threats of damnation and hateful, homophobic, bigoted strawman arguments that are often so completely off-topic, the thread is completely hijacked.

Some here already know what I am talking about, and I won't dredge up specific examples and details for that reason.

This hateful individual creates entire threads in The Attic, with the express purpose of spewing hateful religious diatribes, because the very individuals who call her on her crap are on her Ignore List and can't refute her bogus claims. The limit is 250 for the Ignore List.

FYI... the minute the Ignore List was available, I was on her list. She must have been up all night with her finger on 'Go'.

And yes, I am at the top of the list of individuals who are willing to call her on her hatefulness.
Joey has a cat avatar.

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
What is most amusing is that when a topic is in The Attic, particularly if the title acknowledges that it may be controversial, some person starts complaining that this is a knitting forum and she doesn't think politics belong on KP. Several good people usually comment that a) the topic is in a non knitting area and b) if the person doesn't want to participate in non knitting areas, they should not enter such a topic. I think the complainers just like to complain or maybe they are control freaks.

I usually open a topic in GCC even if it may provoke controversy. Usually it pops into The Attic within a few hours. One of the people with whom I am friendly here opened a very benign non controversial topic and it was quickly reassigned to The Attic. I think that there may be complainers who do not like the crowd I tend to hang out with and complain about anything any of us post. Their loss. There are some very thought provoking and witty discussions in The Attic.

I have a couple of people on my ignore list who have a habit of making inflammatory, religiously bigoted, racist, and generally nasty remarks. I consider it like having a get together with friends and not inviting nasty people who don't get along with the rest of us. Why spoil a pleasant tete a tete with trouble makers?

st1tch said:
I've only used the ignore feature once since it was introduced and that was only because some one was bullying one of our members without mercy so for that reason I was glad it was there.
As for the attic I personally think it's a good idea, there are things posted there that may offend some members if posted in a more shall we say open area.

·
Registered
161,656 Posts
yourmother306 said:
Unfortunately, not everyone here acts kind, courteous and respectful.

I like the "ignore", I think it's the best way to treat bullies.
And stalkers! Who make threats! Yes, that has happened. :sm25: :sm25: :sm25:

·
Registered
840 Posts
yourmother306 said:
Unfortunately, not everyone here acts kind, courteous and respectful.

I like the "ignore", I think it's the best way to treat bullies.
True, true. If any of you have experienced some of the unpleasantness in the past that can actually ruin this great forum, then you might better understand why admin felt the necessity of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom