Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is florecilla I'm starting a knit sampler afghan
I have the patterns there free at redheart.com the only thing is that I'm new at kniting and I dont know how to knit the
bell and rib square 8 stitch k2, k1,*p2, cast on 4 sts,p2, k1; repeat * to last 2 sts, k2. I dont know how to cast on while doing the pattern :( please help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
There are a number of ways to cast on stitches in the middle of a row (or at the beginning or end). If the pattern does not specify which technique to use I like the backward loop cast-on. Here is a video of the technique:

You would skip the slip-knot part since you already have work on your needle. Just start with the next step of making loops and placing them on the needle. Here is another video example:

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
TY for sending in the pattern, too:

Row 7: K2, k1, *p2, cast on 4 sts, p2, k1; repeat from * to
last 2 sts, k2.

Couple of ways to CO in midstream and assuming you're a Continental knitter versos English thrower. Also this CO method is used at the very beginning set up, too but you can use it in the middle of your row, too. I'm fairly sure, that is! LOL!!:

http://www.google.com/#q=cable+cast+on+continental&hl=en&prmd=ivnsb&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=h45tTeKkF4T58AaNz-CMDQ&ved=0CDwQqwQ&bav=on.2,or.&fp=e63e90ac70623278

There's a thumb method, too. It depends on the look you want; Perhaps a M1 (make 1) is what you want, etc.

Good Luck!
~~~~~~~

florecilla said:
I have the patterns there free at redheart.com the only thing is that I'm new at kniting and I dont know how to knit the
bell and rib square 8 stitch k2, k1,*p2, cast on 4 sts,p2, k1; repeat * to last 2 sts, k2. I dont know how to cast on while doing the pattern :( please help

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
florecilla,

You cannot use a M1 for 4 stitches. If you look at this designer's videos, she has one on the back loop cast on. It starts in the middle of the row (like yours):
knitpurlhunter.com

·
Registered
326 Posts
florecilla said:
Florecilla,
to cast on in the middle of a row or anywhere before the last stitch. You put your left needle into stitch as if to knit, wrap and pull through placing that loop on your left needle repeat as pattern indicates (in your case 3 more times) then continue knitting stitches off of right needle. Hope this is clear. Good luck and happy knitting!
:thumbup: Kaju

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your time. I have trieded with my thumb but it leaves a hole and on the patter,s picture it does'nt show any holes. today after work I'll tried the way your teached me.
As soon as I try it I'll post a pic.
Thanks God Bless <3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom