Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my post title says, im going to order yarn on knitpicks . But before that could i please have your expertise on what yarns to order.i generally like to knit socks, baby clothes baby blankets and scarves and shawls.im looking for reasonably priced yarn, with good stitch definition and easy care. Please please point me in the right direction. Much appreciated and thank you gratefully.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Oooo.... it's such a personal thing.... as much as I love gorgeous yarn from wonderful fibers, since most of my things are given away I always look for the care instructions as you noted.
and if it has to be carefully handled, I skip it unless I'm planning something very specific for someone that I know will respect it enough to treat it with the care it deserves.
I think you meant KnitPicks? They do have a good selection of washable yarns. I've enjoyed the Comfy and the CotLin and those are both great for Baby things.
If I'm thinking about a big order of something, I do read the reviews. I go to Ravelry and read what people who have actually completed projects with a specific yarn think of it in terms of working with it and stitch def.
Many people have highly praised their various sock yarns.... have fun.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I used Brava sport weight for a sweater, and liked it so well that it was my "go to" when my grands each wanted an Afghan. Brava is 100% acrylic. I've also used the chroma in fingering for shawls and scarves, and was pleased with that as well. Chroma is wool. I give Knit Picks high marks for customer service too.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
knit4ES said:
Oooo.... it's such a personal thing.... as much as I love gorgeous yarn from wonderful fibers, since most of my things are given away I always look for the care instructions as you noted.
and if it has to be carefully handled, I skip it unless I'm planning something very specific for someone that I know will respect it enough to treat it with the care it deserves.
I think you meant KnitPicks? They do have a good selection of washable yarns. I've enjoyed the Comfy and the CotLin and those are both great for Baby things.
If I'm thinking about a big order of something, I do read the reviews. I go to Ravelry and read what people who have actually completed projects with a specific yarn think of it in terms of working with it and stitch def.
Many people have highly praised their various sock yarns.... have fun.
Thank you knit4ES. Will take youradvice on board.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
m_azingrace said:
I used Brava sport weight for a sweater, and liked it so well that it was my "go to" when my grands each wanted an Afghan. Brava is 100% acrylic. I've also used the chroma in fingering for shawls and scarves, and was pleased with that as well. Chroma is wool. I give Knit Picks high marks for customer service too.
Thank you for your response. Will certainly keep these names in mind when ordering.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
The Mighty Stitch is on the thin side (think caron simply soft but not quite as limp) -- this yarn is my favorite of their yarn. It's amazing how soft it is. The Brava line is also good for blankets and scarves

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Knit Picks is my second favorite place from which to buy sock yarn!! They have generous yardage and great colors!! I have almost all of their Stroll hand-painted sock yarns!! I like their Dishie for washcloths, too. But my favorite is the Stroll. I've knitted over three dozen pair of socks using Stroll!

Have a blast, and look around, so you get the best/most yarn for your $$.

...gloria

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
For baby things I like Comfy and Brava. I love Chrome colors for tote bags (and it does felt even though it's not 100% wool). I've, so far, never been disappointed with any of their yarns. Just read the descriptions and go for it. I have depended on their descriptions and colors for years. If you don't like it, they will take it right back with no problems.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I have used Comfy (the only yarn my GS will wear), Shine, CotLin, Stroll, Swish, Brava, Mighty Stitch and Wool of the Andes. I have enjoyed working with them all with the exception of Brava (bulky weight very squeaky on the needles) but it made up into a very cute outfit for my GD and she got a lot of wear out of it. Mighty Stitch I have only used so far for crochet and it is more a dk than worsted weight and tends to split but it washes beautifully. I am very tempted by their tweed yarn which is currently on sale but must refrain until I've worked through some of my stash!

The only issues I had with customer service is that when I returned some yarn for a different color it seemed to take forever for them to reship the new color.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My very favorite is Hawthorne Fingering.
I have also used and like pretty much these: Merino Style, Stroll Tonal, Cadena, City Tweed, Shimmer, Wool of the Andes Superwash and Wool of the Andes Tweed.
And these are the ones I'm not so crazy about for one reason or another: Shadow, Aloft, and Brava.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have only been disappointed with one line of their yarn. Both pairs of socks made with stroll tonal pilled quickly and a lot. I think the colors of stroll are great and I will continue to use it, just not for things that are washed often. The brava line is very good for acrylics - a little on the thin side, but very nice to knit up.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I have only had one disappointment and it was with Brava Bulky. I had ordered two colors -- the red was manufactured in Turkey and knit up beautifully. The camel was manufactured in China and felt like plastic and pills horribly. My understanding is that they moved all Brava to China, so I would only order small amounts of any Brava weight to test it out. I made a sweater with the Swish worsted and love it!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Knit picks stroll tonal is my favorite sock yarn. I just knitted a summer sweater with knit picks shine, a cotton acrylic mix and it is so soft. I use their dishie yarn for dish cloths. I also like their wool of the andes tweeds for hats and vests.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I recently ordered several colors of Wool of the Andes Superwash bulky on Knit Picks. It's 100% wool and the colors are nice but I was a little disappointed. The wool is not really bulky!!! Several reviewers on the KnitPicks website said the same thing. They said it was more like a slightly heavier worsted wool weight.

When you buy a superwash wool, you have to remember that the wool is treated with something to make it machine washable. That effects the texture. Superwash wool may not be as soft as other wools.

I also bought Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Worsted Weight wool recently. This yarn is also 100% wool, has nice colors, but is not as soft as some other wools I have used.

One thing to consider is how well the wool will wear. Will it pill? Stretch? etc. Real 100% wool is less likely to stretch.

Sometimes I buy one skein of a yarn online to see how I like it....Then I can order enough for a whole project later.

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
Their Stroll sock line is also good for scarves and shawls, as it is machine washable/dryable, as well as beautiful colors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom