Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some vest tops made from cotton and elastane. I am thinking of crocheting some lace across the top of the neckline as they are quite low cut. Is this something that is possible to do? I am totally new to crochet - so not sure whether this is slightly beyond me at the moment.

All help is much appreciated :-D

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
Kerry Anne said:
I have some vest tops made from cotton and elastane. I am thinking of crocheting some lace across the top of the neckline as they are quite low cut. Is this something that is possible to do? I am totally new to crochet - so not sure whether this is slightly beyond me at the moment.

All help is much appreciated :-D
I am not clear on whether the vest tops are knitted or made from a manufactured fabric. If the latter, it might be difficult, but you could always crochet a border separately in that case and sew it on.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joy Marshall said:
I am not clear on whether the vest tops are knitted or made from a manufactured fabric. If the latter, it might be difficult, but you could always crochet a border separately in that case and sew it on.
Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. They are stretchy cotton vests. I saw a tutorial in which a tea towel had been edged with crochet, using a hole punching tool, in order to crochet straight onto the the tea towel. I don't know whether this is the usual way. I've seen hand towels with crocheted borders and wondered if it was possible to do the same thing with clothing.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Yes, it is possible to do this with clothing, and I don't think you ould find it too difficult. There are various ways of attaching the edging. You can make the edging and sew it on afterwards (not my favourite way, because I don't like sewing!). You can use a gadget for punching holes, although I think that the holes would probably be too big for fine tee-shirt type material or similar. You could do a row of blanket stitch along the edge you want to crochet onto, and then crochet on to the blanket stitch (again, not my favourite because of the sewing). The way I prefer on finer material is a sharp crochet hook, which allows you to crochet straight on to the fabric. All you have to do is to decide which edging you want to do, so that you know how many stitches you will need, as some patterns are multiples of, say 3 or 4, but your pattern will probably tell you this.

http://www.sharpcrochethook.com/
http://www.edgerydoo.com/

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
:idea: I have made several crochet pieces with a scalloped shell edge in an inverted parallelogram [a rectangular box with sides that slant inward] o----\_____/----o and attached a piece of ribbon onto which I have sewn snaps. When the neckline is too low for my taste, I attach the ribbon around the bra straps and I'm covered!
BTW, a piece of purchased lace hemmed or serged at the sides and maybe bottom or a mere strip of fabric can be used instead of crochet. I've done that, too!

·
Registered
17,006 Posts
Dsynr said:
:idea: I have made several crochet pieces with a scalloped shell edge in an inverted parallelogram [a rectangular box with sides that slant inward] o----\_____/----o and attached a piece of ribbon onto which I have sewn snaps. When the neckline is too low for my taste, I attach the ribbon around the bra straps and I'm covered!
BTW, a piece of purchased lace hemmed or serged at the sides and maybe bottom or a mere strip of fabric can be used instead of crochet. I've done that, too!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dsynr said:
Thank you; that sounds like a really good idea!

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bagibird said:
Yes, it is possible to do this with clothing, and I don't think you ould find it too difficult. There are various ways of attaching the edging. You can make the edging and sew it on afterwards (not my favourite way, because I don't like sewing!). You can use a gadget for punching holes, although I think that the holes would probably be too big for fine tee-shirt type material or similar. You could do a row of blanket stitch along the edge you want to crochet onto, and then crochet on to the blanket stitch (again, not my favourite because of the sewing). The way I prefer on finer material is a sharp crochet hook, which allows you to crochet straight on to the fabric. All you have to do is to decide which edging you want to do, so that you know how many stitches you will need, as some patterns are multiples of, say 3 or 4, but your pattern will probably tell you this.

http://www.sharpcrochethook.com/
http://www.edgerydoo.com/
Thank you for the links and the advice on how to attach a crochet edging. I think the blanket stitch sounds good. :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom