Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to knit a cowl. I have about 800 yards or more fingering weight yarn in red...Merino/Silk. Here is my concern. I don't want it too wide or too skinny. Probably would have one loop as I am short. I have a lot of stitch patterns to choose from. What is a good number of stitches to CO. I have a pattern that calls for 36 stitch CO. Would this be wide enough with the fingering yarn. What size needle should I use. I sure want to utilize this beautiful yarn in the best way. Any pattern suggestions?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Just start your pattern as written. It won't be long before you know if it suits you or not. If not, consider that first attempt your swatch and decide how much you have to increase your cast on. Remember to consider your stitch pattern repeat when figuring how mant stitches to cast on if increasing the width.

·
Registered
11,096 Posts
I would go on Raverly & look for some pretty lace cowl patterns to use your lovely yarn with. It's free to join & you can specify what you are looking for.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Can you go try on some infinity scarves at a store.... something a little heavier than silk if possible.
Once you find one that seems right, whip out your tape measure and see how wide and long it is. (write it down)
then, you'll know the length and width you are shooting for and quit second-guessing about those issues that have to be decided before you start.

Most patterns list whether they are written and/or charted.... so you can use that as part of your selection criteria.
I like it when it's both.... I get a visual as well as the individual stitch by stitch
If you really like the one you've purchased, you could attempt to do a written version from the chart..... it is a way to familiarize yourself with the pattern before doing the first stitch.
Or you could see who else has purchased and done it and they may have already done that and be willing to share.
I did that awhile ago... and found someone who had taken the chart and written it....

Just ideas.... Have fun.
BTW.... I had cousins who lived in Vicksburg and we would often visit there.... I enjoy seeing your id pop-up

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your advice. We have been in Vicksburg for 49 years. We were married here and have lived here ever since then. Love it here. Anytime you are here I am the only Daquilla in the phone book. Have you been to The Southern Needle in Ridgeland or The Yarn Studio off County Line Road? The Yarn Studio has a huge selection but sometimes you have to put up with the rude owners to get the "yarn dreams are made of". We have a great knitting group at our Sr Citizens group from 2-4 on Wednesdays. Join us if ever here then.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
betty boivin said:
Once you understand the chart you will not want anything else, quicker and not hard at all... I used to hate it too but now am disapponted when there isn't one!!!!
I don't think your statement is one-size-fits-all. I understand charts. I am able to use charts. I have knit from charts. I do not like charts. I am disappointed when I see patterns that only have charts. I do not find charts to be quicker, although I don't necessarily find them to be hard. These thoughts apply to charts for knitted items.

I do like charts for crochet, but I don't think I 'prefer' them to written patterns.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Are you wanting to knit in the round, because 36 sts will not go around your neck. This would be fine for the width if you plan on joining the ends together to make a loop. Ravelry has some beautiful cowl patterns. I would give a look see.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
About the only way to get exactly what you want is to pull out the stitch patterns and swatch. You can then determine if the width is good for you and decide on the length. If you are joining after you have knit, the length is less of an issue at the start of the project.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bulldog said:
I want to knit a cowl. I have about 800 yards or more fingering weight yarn in red...Merino/Silk. Here is my concern. I don't want it too wide or too skinny. Probably would have one loop as I am short. I have a lot of stitch patterns to choose from. What is a good number of stitches to CO. I have a pattern that calls for 36 stitch CO. Would this be wide enough with the fingering yarn. What size needle should I use. I sure want to utilize this beautiful yarn in the best way. Any pattern suggestions?
I've made many cowls out of fingerling yarn. I usually us size 6 needle but it will depend on the stitch patter you picked out. Do you want it more Lacey? Go up a couple sizes in your needle. Same with stitch count. CO of 36 stitches doesn't seem enough for that yarn weight. CO and do a few rows to see if it's wide enough to your liking.

·
Registered
10,456 Posts
I did a Ravelry search for FREE infinity scarf patterns using 750-900 yards of fingering weight yarn. Since these are free patterns, you can look at several that you like the width of and determine the number of cast on stitches, etc.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#query=infinity%20scarf&view=captioned_thumbs&weight=fingering&craft=knitting&sort=best&availability=free&yardage-in=750-900

In April, my nephew married a girl whose family is from Vicksburg. My husband and I spent a long weekend in Vicksburg and thoroughly enjoyed it -- especially visiting the Vicksburg National Military Park.

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
knit4ES said:
Can you go try on some infinity scarves at a store.... something a little heavier than silk if possible.
Once you find one that seems right, whip out your tape measure and see how wide and long it is. (write it down)
then, you'll know the length and width you are shooting for and quit second-guessing about those issues that have to be decided before you start.

Most patterns list whether they are written and/or charted.... so you can use that as part of your selection criteria.
I like it when it's both.... I get a visual as well as the individual stitch by stitch
If you really like the one you've purchased, you could attempt to do a written version from the chart..... it is a way to familiarize yourself with the pattern before doing the first stitch.
Or you could see who else has purchased and done it and they may have already done that and be willing to share.
I did that awhile ago... and found someone who had taken the chart and written it....

Just ideas.... Have fun.
BTW.... I had cousins who lived in Vicksburg and we would often visit there.... I enjoy seeing your id pop-up
I think the suggestion to try on scarves to see what length she needs is a good one. I was about to post a similar suggestion, but I think you expressed it better than I would have. ☺

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
general suggestion-definitely swatch, and if it will be in the round do a swatch based on that (I only recently learned here on KP that it is made differently). Also when you search Ravelry put in "fingering" and the amount of yds. plus cowl. You should get some good options.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'd guestimate 40-50 stitches and size 5-6-7 needles. You can always fold it over. Depends on how tight you knit. However you do it, it will be lovely because of the yarn alone. :sm01:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I am short, too. I have a cowl I like that came with a sweater. I like the width of it & it can be wrapped twice. I plan to make a cowl of the same dimensions in sock yarn. If you have a cowl you have worn & liked, consider making one similar to it.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I so appreciate all of your advice. I was planning a provisional Co. I will pick out a stitch pattern and knit the length then Kitchener the ends together. I agree, 36 sts seem too few. I would think somewhere around 60 stitches.
I have some beautiful Merino/Silk yarn and have two hanks. I want something pretty out of this yarn. It is always hot in Vicksburg, so I don't know "that I would ever "loop" it twice. I am short, so think I will have to try it on as I go. If I did loop it twice, it could not huge my neck as I would be uncomfortable. I want to have all my ducks in a row before I begin this. I have been looking at the Ellery cowl and it looks good but don't think 36 sts will be wide enough.
Ellie, I am glad you had a good visit to Vicksburg. We have been here 49 years and it is a great place to live and raise kids.
Think a size six needle is appropriate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom