Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pattern reads:
Cast on 5 sts.
Working in st st, inc 1 st at end of every row until there are 27 sts.

I know how to KFB in a knit row, but how do I increase in a purl row? I've tried KFB, but either it doesn't work for purling or I'm not doing it right.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((((( This main google link shows it in different ways and methods of knitting - I don't know if you English knit or Continental.
http://www.google.com/#q=increase+purl&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&psj=1&ei=DgVQTeLUDsT_lgfOzZUq&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCAQqwQwAA&fp=3b15e1a9e1579b3b

Good luck! Donna Rae )))))))))))))))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hapi2Run said:
Pattern reads:
Cast on 5 sts.
Working in st st, inc 1 st at end of every row until there are 27 sts.

I know how to KFB in a knit row, but how do I increase in a purl row? I've tried KFB, but either it doesn't work for purling or I'm not doing it right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first video that came up in the list, posted by flowdesignstudio, was perfectly simple and clear for increasing at the end of a purl row.

I tried to search last night, but I kept getting demonstrations that were too complicated or unrelated. Maybe I was just too tired. In which case the knitting needles need to be put away anyway!

Thank you kindly for your help!

Michelle

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
Good Afternoon,

If you are knitting American style...throwing the yarn over the needle, k1f&b is knitting 1 front and back. P1f&b is purling front and back. I have discovered that it is easier to do all increases 1 stitch before the end of each row or the second stitch at the beginning of each row. Working on the purl side, purl a stitch the usual way but don't slip it from the left needle. Purl thru the back loop of the same stitch, then slip the old stitch from the left needle. I hope this helps.

A good book to read is by Sharon Turner...Teach Yourself Visually Knitting. This can be found at most libraries.

Happy Knitting :-D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Becca, would the method you've described create a visible line inside the edge of the work? Since I'm going to be stitching the edges together I wonder if it would be noticeable when finished.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
Not so much a line as a bar that you can see from the knit side of your work. K1f&b and P1f&b are also known as the Bar Increase. This method is tight and tidy and gets its name from the small purl bar that forms on the right side of the knitting.

Google knitting increases to view the different how-to videos.

The book, Teach Yourself Visual Knitting by S. Turner is very helpful.

Happy knitting. :-D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom