Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a easy hooded sweater for a 3-6 mo. size? I would like to maybe try a top down maybe as I have never made one before. I am making a camoflage out fit for my new grandson due next month.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Knitting Pure and Simple top down cardigan with hood is easy to knit! I highly recommend it. It does cost about $5 for the pattern but is well worth it. All their patterns are wonderful.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Befast said:
The Knitting Pure and Simple top down cardigan with hood is easy to knit! I highly recommend it. It does cost about $5 for the pattern but is well worth it. All their patterns are wonderful.
Thank You Befast. I will check it out.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
I, too recommend the "Easy Baby Cardigan" from "Knitting Pure & Simple.

http://knittingpureandsimple.com/products-page/free-patterns/easy-baby-cardigan/

I saved this as a FREE download about two years ago and have made both the hooded and collared versions (in baby yarn) for charity--and for personal use. It knits up quickly, looks great and fits well when finished The ties are fine and easy, but you can easily add buttonholes if you'd like. This one is equally cute in using solid or variegated yarn. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
Sirdar has a great pattern for the little one and comes in sizes from 0 to 6 months all the way up to 5 to 6 years. Adorable with cables up the front and a hood. I have made it twice now for a grandson and a friends grandson. It was a hit both times. It is Pattern #1518.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Just one think - hoods are usually not so comfy for small babies - for they mostly lay on their back... When my son was this yang I definitely preferred separate sweaters and hats. But than, of course, there are, I suppose, moms who would think the opposite. Just give it some taught - to find out how you will be before you make it, a hoody is a pretty big project.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
If you go to Ravelry and type in One Skein Hooded 5 Hour Sweater by Vintage, this pattern is great and although it took me longer than 5 hours it is a quick knit. The pattern is free. I have made several of these and they are lovely! I have even knit this pattern in a heavier yarn to make it like a winter jacket for my granddaughter and it knit up beautifully.
Hope this is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't know how to do a link, so I'll just have to write it. Knittingonthenet.com has a zip up the back hooded baby sweater in 18" chest. I made a bigger one for my grand, which my DIL loves. However, It might not be the most comfortable to lie on a zip. Consider this or any hoodie for an "it will fit later when all the new gifts have worn off" gift. For anyone who looks at this, try to ignore the horrible sewing job in the photo!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Caroline19 said:
If you go to Ravelry and type in One Skein Hooded 5 Hour Sweater by Vintage, this pattern is great and although it took me longer than 5 hours it is a quick knit. The pattern is free. I have made several of these and they are lovely! I have even knit this pattern in a heavier yarn to make it like a winter jacket for my granddaughter and it knit up beautifully.
Hope this is what you are looking for.
Cariline. Thanks for the idea. I would like one that is somewhat heavy. the pants I am making are made out of Red Heart varigated and they are coming out nice and heavy. I would like a sweater like the pants so she can put it on him as a jacket. Thanks for the idea. Sounds exactly what I want. will check it out.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MGT said:
I don't know how to do a link, so I'll just have to write it. Knittingonthenet.com has a zip up the back hooded baby sweater in 18" chest. I made a bigger one for my grand, which my DIL loves. However, It might not be the most comfortable to lie on a zip. Consider this or any hoodie for an "it will fit later when all the new gifts have worn off" gift. For anyone who looks at this, try to ignore the horrible sewing job in the photo!
Thank you for the idea. But I am not sure I can do a zipper. I ahve seen alot of cute sweaters for the kids with zippers and checked out utube for how to put them in and still not to sure about it. Some day I will attempt it though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The one I made for my great-grandsons is a bit bigger than you asked for, but you might keep it in mind for later. It's a raglan hoodie worked top down and I loved doing them. I left out the horizontal stripe and just worked the whole thing in a solid color. It's called "Everyday Toddler Hoodie," a free pattern at www.tricksyknitter.com.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Cottage Creations Babies and Bears hoodie. It's not top down, it's knit side to side (Starting with a cuff, increasing into the center, then starting with the other cuff and into the center. Connecting the 2 halves, then knitting on the hood). It's an interesting, if somewhat unusual, way to make a garment. Very easy and fun to knit, makes up quickly and is TOO adorable! One pattern (a little booklet) for a multitude of sizes. Sizes are adjusted by yarn and needle size (gauge), not by changing stitch count. If you really want top down, my favorite is Cabin Fever but there are lots of others out there, Just search topdown baby hoodies on you computer and you'll get lots of choices. Good luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Napernana has posted here in KP, a hood down sweater that I made and was very easy. On the pattern it says Knitted Hood sweater. It has a zipper in the back. That too was very easy to put in. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom